3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Silvertip sucess continues  (Read 549 times)

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Silvertip sucess continues
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Wow what a season this has been.  My whole world was flipped upside down back in June when we sold our house after just 2 weeks on the market.  The contract came in the day my family left for our summer vacation and I had just 5 days to pack my entire house (including all my bowhunting gear) up and be gone.  With no real plans thinking it would take 4-6 months to sell we were in a pickle.  Thanks to my gracious in-laws who offered to let us live with them while our new home is being built.

Thing is they live 2 hours from where we are building so I knew from the start that hunting on my own property this season would be hit and miss. On the positive side they also have a nice 13+ acre piece of property that just happens to be a travel route for the local deer herd.  So early in September I set up a pop up blind and two hangs on stands together so that I could hunt with my 12 year old son, Wes.  

Wes attended the Hunter Education Class this fall and can hunt on his own now, but I felt like dad still needed to be by his side to help him out learning the hard knocks that I had to learn on my own.  Any way we have been hunting really hard all fall getting up early to hunt a few hours before school and hunting the last hour of daylight when he gets out.  He shot a nice doe back in October but the shot was low and after 2 days of searching the neighboring woods we were unable to locate his deer. From the evidence at the shoot location it looked like the hit was low, nothing but white belly hair.  

We tried a few more times without any success.  We have had deer all around us but just couldn't put the dots together.  So thinking we needed to connect on a deer before he looses interest I decided to let him hunt with the black powder. Well we have had bucks all around us and Monday evening just before dark I was able to grunt in not one but 3 different bucks and still no shot presented itself.  So yesterday when Wes got home we had about 45 minutes before dark so we went and sat in the blind. I told him I had been seeing the same little 4 pt. every day walk past the blind.

He agreed and we sat in the blind. Well 15 minutes for dark here he comes. Stops broad side but Wes can't get the shot off. I tried to stop him when he started walking off but he was not interested and away he went. Dang I just cant seem to get my son a deer to save my life.

Ok now for today. Well I got all my work finished up this morning and with about 3 hours to kill I decided I would walk down and sit in the tree for a bit. The wind was whipping, a cold front had moved in so I put on my wools and headed out the door.  Takes me all of about 10 minutes to get to my stand from the house. Well I get to the tree and climb on up, pull up my bow and get myself ready to relax for a bit. Not happening!  The first time I looked back behind me on my entrance trail here he comes head down.  

I had a scent wicker in my fanny pack, so I don't know if he could smell that but he was sure nose to the ground and coming fast.  He walked by it 17 steps, I mouth grunted, he stopped and my Silvertip send a woodsman through his side.  The hit looked a little far back, but still good. I watched him run back down the hill, cross the road into the thicket. I thought to myself, "dang what the heck just happened".  

I got myself together, climbed down the tree and walked over to where the buck was standing. Thinking to myself, good blood he won't go far. I walked back up to the house (10 minutes or less) and grabbed my yagd terrier "Rocky" to join me on the track.  Well it wasn't much of a track, he made it about 100 yards before it was over.

He is one of my nicest with a bow and man does he smell of Rut... I don't think I have ever smelled a deer that smelled so stinky.  

Equipment used:
Silvertip 66#
Trad Heavy tipped with Wensel Woodsman
Art Vincent Arm Guard
Art Vincent Stalker Quiver
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Silvertip sucess continues
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Nice buck! They're still rutting down there huh?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   Good job!   :clapper:
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Nice Read, Very nice Buck, And Great Bow  :)

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
good one Rob, Congratulations !!   They hav'nt even started to rut here yet !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Nice wide rack on him. Congrats Rob!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Very nice indeed however I like the Silvertip better !   :bigsmyl:
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Congrats!!!  Very nice photo and deer.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
Great job. Now its your son's turn.
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Very nice and great picture!   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Congrats, Rob!  Nice one!  Make sure you send Jack a pic for the magazine.  I see one in the next issue of you already...

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Nice buck Rob, Congrats!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
Sweet! What part of Va are you in?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
That is a great buck.  

Now, about that bow...Is that a scrimshaw inlay there?  How about a couple more bow pictures...I am always looking for Silvertip ideas   :clapper:

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
Those 'Tips just keep "tipping them over" , congrats!!

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Nice buck Rob   :D   The way that wind was blowing here today you probably didn't mind the short sit too much.   :thumbsup:
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
bbassi, they seem to be still going here but i expect to have a lull any day now.

Blasterjdh you are right I need to get him a deer, hopefully this afternoon will be his day. I have everything all ready to go so wish him luck.

Kevin I just sent Jack an article, but I will need to send him another one now.  

A.S. i'm living in White Stone in the Northern Neck for the next 6-8 months while we are building a house in western Hanover.

Mac I must agree with you. I needed to kill about 2 hours. The hunt didn't last much time but the work after just about ate it all up.  

I need to add a piece of equipment:  I just noticed I was wearing my Trad Gang ball cap for the pics.  We have to wear blaze orange now that the regular season is in     :(      I hate having it on especially in photographs so it goes in the pack and my trusty camo hat comes out.

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©