3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many P&Y whitetails do you have?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many P&Y whitetails do you have?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
None for me.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
I think my buck might be close but have never had him officially measured. I would like to get him in the Compton Archives though.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
B.Glass. I'm sorry I'm unfamiliar with that. Compton has a trad only trophy book?

As for P&Y bucks. I don't have anything against guys that hunt them. I won't shoot small bucks. So it'll probably be a LONG time before I shoot a big buck. But I hope to one day have the skills to get up on trophies.

But I want a trophy off of untouched woods though. Like the public lands I hunt. You can keep a P&Y from the ways alot of people get them. Not going into specifics as not to offend anyone. But I think we all know what I mean.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
I've never had one scored.  Never wanted to place a number on an animal.  I have too much respect for them to do that.  

I rifle hunted a few times with a fella that shot a deer in the early 80s that scored 149 7/8 after the drying period, and the guy was so disapointed the buck didnt make the Missouri Big Bucks 150" minimum.  I mean, give me a break,  that deer was a pig, regardless of his score.  That ordeal really turned me off about books and scores and all the hoopla.  

I hunt for good shots at mature whitetails and when that all comes together I'm happy. Heck, I'm happy just to be hunting for that shot. I've been blessed with the opportunity to take a few "good ones" but have no idea what they score.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
I've got one on my wall, but unfortunately I didn't shoot it... I found it dead on the family farm in Kansas while training a bird dog. He scored around 208 and change back in 1987. Great motivation though...

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
never took one with a bow yet but would never have one scored again. took a B&C with rifle and 2 others that were in the 140-150 class. not in to the scoring system anymore. can't wait to take the first tropy with bow!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Tyler Carlson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
I've never understood why some people frown upon wanting to shoot a p&y or b&c animal, or find it degrading or disrespectful to score an animal. Not that there's anything wrong with not wanting to score a deer or caring about how big an animal is, but to knock down trophy hunting seems strange to me. The original poster asked how many p&y animals we have shot, not what we classify as a "trophy" or what we personally think about scoring systems.
"The desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold..."

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
1 and right on Tyler. I get a kick out of the high and mighty. My questions is "Why wouldn't you want to support a group who has done so much for the sport we love"?
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Tyler Carlson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Amen brother. The Pope & Young club trys to advance and protect bowhunting, not tear it down.
"The desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold..."

Offline Mountain_Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
I've take'n several that qualified for "Y" ...one of these days I hope to put a "P &" in front of one.
   :bigsmyl:

I dont see a thing wrong with measure'n or scoring. Just because it aint for you ..dont think you should degrade people for doin' it.

I will agree that any animal harvested "fair chase" is indeed a trophy.
A wise man will ask for advice. The wisest of men are selective in whom they ask.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
A bunch is a good estimate.  KS IA and north MO helps alot.Nothing yet this year I am after the most elusive deer that I've ever hunted.  Been quite a dry spell going back almost a year.  Kind of losing the drive that keeps me in a stand all day.  Find myself rolling over in bed and snuggling with the wife instead of hitting the woods with my buddies.  Not sure if it's medication, wife getting better or my buddies just getting uglier.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Amen Tyler  :D   We let the young ones go and shoot the mature deer. We don't own the land and we do hunt on public too.

I could care less what other people shoot size wise. I like to see all of them, big, small, typical non-typical, and does too.

I can score deer and I do score mine and many other peoples deer too. I have not entered any of mine in the books P/Y or B/C and I probably will not but thats cool if you do. Injoy the hunt folks and be happy for everybody else when the do score, were all in this togather.  :archer:

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
LOL, relax folks, I dont think anyone was tearing down the P&Y club.

I sure wasnt intending to bash anyone for their choice to score and enter a deer and if you took it that way, my sincere appologies.

Respectfully submitted, High and Mighty

;)
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
130, 137, 154.

Now I dont hardly shoot anything any more.  Always asking myself maybe something behind this doe.  And when a buck walks by well its not quite big enough.  But I enjoy my hunts, and that's all that matters.    :thumbsup:

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I've only shot one buck that would be considered good for around here, and he was my first deer, ever, and not even close to any book. All the scoring and stuff is nice, but I decide if it's a trophy. That being said I'm happy with my first trad deer I took in the early season, a nice fat doe! Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anybody for scoring thier bucks, and if I shot a big one, I'd be the first guy to put up pics and stuff, but the again, I'd do that with a six point.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
None in the book for me.  I have one that would make it, if I entered him and another taken with a compound but he hasn't been entered either.  Might have another one this year if I can connect on him before he moves off and disappears after the rut.

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
I have 0 in the book and it will prob stay that way, But if i do ever get one I think i would have it scored.  I think it's unlikely, we just really dont have deer around here that would make it into books

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
I'm ashamed...I only have two p&Y size does.....  :D
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
Nada.

Got 4 of em that score 124 and 7/8's though.
Otto

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
zero. I don't score them.
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©