3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many P&Y whitetails do you have?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many P&Y whitetails do you have?
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
One for me...always looking for number two.    :archer:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
As more and more states realize the benefits to managing for quality, I belive the opportunities for such bucks will increase.  Many of you guys are no doubt very good deer hunters, but simply do not have the opportunity to hunt P&Y class bucks. I see it all the time. A guy comes from Virginia, or PA here to Illinois and shoots his first P&Y buck during their first week.  Did that guy all of a sudden become a better deer hunter?  NO.  He simply had access to a better area thats all.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Jon, that was very well said my friend...I absolutely agree 100%!

I have three that would make it....all out of state, I live in eastern NY (MO., Conn., and MT.)

My two biggest east coast deer are from Conn.....and I've hunted there a maybe 1/2% as much as I've hunted in NY over the years.

Ya gotta hunt where the big ones live!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
As more and more states realize the benefits to managing for quality, I belive the opportunities for such bucks will increase.  Many of you guys are no doubt very good deer hunters, but simply do not have the opportunity to hunt P&Y class bucks. I see it all the time. A guy comes from Virginia, or PA here to Illinois and shoots his first P&Y buck during their first week.  Did that guy all of a sudden become a better deer hunter?  NO.  He simply had access to a better area thats all.
Agree fully, and very well said, Jon.  I live and hunt in FL...no P&Y's to be had here.  I also hunt my home state of PA.  These are mountain deer and just don't get that big...antler restrictions are helping, however.      :)
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
All mine are P&Y - Poke em Young  :)  

Jon said it best , I have bowhunted 34 years and can count the P&Y Bucks on one hand that I have ever saw.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
I only entered the first one I killed. I don't remember what it scored and couldn't find the certificate if my life depended on it. I've shot a few more since then that would have made P&Y, but didn't enter them because it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. That's not to say it's right or wrong though, but I've already scratched that itch once and it hasn't come back.

Yes, it's fun to shoot something with a large rack, but sometimes I think "deer hunting" would be much better in this state if the highest scoring set of antlers roaming the woods was about 100 inches or less. Trophy deer herds fall under the category of "be careful what you wish for." I'd trade every rack in my house over 125" to go back to the time when access in this state required a knock on a door, and handshake, maybe some chores, and a promise of respect, instead of a checkbook, a bidding war, a legal document.

Maybe that's why I hunt in Wisconsin more than Illinois.

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
I only entered the first one I killed. I don't remember what it scored and couldn't find the certificate if my life depended on it. I've shot a few more since then that would have made P&Y, but didn't enter them because it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. That's not to say it's right or wrong though, but I've already scratched that itch once and it hasn't come back.

Yes, it's fun to shoot something with a large rack, but sometimes I think "deer hunting" would be much better in this state if the highest scoring set of antlers roaming the woods was about 100 inches or less. Trophy deer herds fall under the category of "be careful what you wish for." I'd trade every rack in my house over 125" to go back to the time when access in this state required a knock on a door, and handshake, maybe some chores, and a promise of respect, instead of a checkbook, a bidding war, a legal document.

Maybe that's why I hunt in Wisconsin more than Illinois.
im to young to remember those days, but i dream about em.  asked a farmer last year if i could hunt his land, he said no, i rent it out to a couple of clubs, and get thousand$ a year for it.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I hear ya, Jason.

100 inches- thats a dang nice deer for my neck of the woods.
DonD

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »
0 , but those does taste good. I saw my first P&Y this season at about fifty yards: exciting. Most deer don't make it past forkhorns where I hunt. Oklahoma is still working on a better management system but every year seems to be better than the last. Jon hit the nail on the head. I'll be out tomarrow and the wind is supposed to be perfect for that same stand so maybe I'll have an encounter, who knows?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 05:18:00 AM »
Those numbers are used to quanitify a hunter, not a deer, and it has put a bad taste in the stew.  High-fiving, immature idiots permeate the so-called hunting shows on television and do more harm than good to the real sport of archery and hunting.  I don't measure antlers....I measure the experience.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2008, 06:41:00 AM »
IMO,the reason hunting is called a sport.You keep score.0 that I know of.Got one that I've been told I should score.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
I have two,a 164 10pt,and a 130 9pt. I truly love to match witts with mature whitetail bucks.But I've found mature does at times harder to fool. I love hunting all deer, the hunt with traditional gear is what really,I think,puts the icing on the cake.I'm thankful God created the hunter spirit in me.Bowtough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©