3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow String Size.  (Read 336 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow String Size.
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:57:00 AM »
What is the difference besides the obvious between a 12 and 16 strand string, a twisted string, fast flight, etc. How do you match the string to the bow?

sam

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow String Size.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
Also, what really is the correct size? 2" shorter than the bow lenght or 4" shorter than the bow length? I've heard both.

Sam

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
What type of sring are you talking about,dacron,D97 or a different low stretch material? As a general rule a longbow uses a string 3" less the the AMO and 4" shorter for a recurves.There can be alot of difference in bow length with trad bows.When I make a string for my bows I like to measure the actual sring that came off the bow.If you don't have one on the bow,go by the general rule or measure the bow from nock to nock on the belly side.I like D97 for my bows that handle that and 12 strands with .024 Halo gives me the nock fit I like and is strong enough for up to a 100# bow.My dacron bows I use 12 strands for 50# and under and 14 strands for up to a 60-62# bows with .018 BCY No.62 serving gives me a good nock fit.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
I'm talking about a D50. I have a 16 strand on a 25# longbow. The string is 50" long. The brace is about 8" with this combo. A  little noisy, hard to nock and I think too much string for the bow.
What do you think?
thanks for the reply
sam

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »
Waaay too much string for the bow! I think you mean B50.

The noise will be partly from the tight nocks on the string and the heavy weight of the string. If your bow is only rated for B50, 8 or 10 strands would be more than enough (see the thread about O.L. Adcock's 4 strand).
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Yes that is too many strands for 25# bow,I would go down to 8 to 10 strands like said.My neighbors little girl has a 10-15#,48" fiberglass bow.I made her a 8 strand endless loop B50,more then enough but mainly made for nock fit.Of course I made it out of some Pink B50,pink is her favorite color and I just happened to have some pink from making strings for my nieces.Is this a recurve,if so you might try putting some velcro(fuzzy side) where the strings contacts the limb to help quieten.You don't need 16 strands for a 25# bow,I would make the string to fit the nocks for a low poundage bow.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
The length of your string should be 3" less (loop to loop) than the AMO number on the bow.  ALWAYS.  Doesn't matter if it is a longbow or recurve.  However, if you don't have an AMO number THEN you can default to the 3" and 4" rules you keep hearing.  The AMO Standard for strings is that they are 3" shorter than the AMO number ALWAYS.  The way AMO is determined is that the bowyer determines what length of string properly braces the bow, adds 3" to that number and writes AMO XX" on the bow.  The 8" brace ht you have may or may not be right for the bow.  You'll have to play with it to determine what's right.  And as has been mentioned, you have way too many strands in your string.  I forget the lbs/strand for B50 and the charts, but 16 strands would be MORE than enough for 45 lbs.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
OK
I think I need something like a 10 strand string.
Thanks for the input
sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©