3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 344 times)

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie question
« on: November 23, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
So I've posted here on and off for a little while and I do fling some arrows from a stickbow but I've never really set one up properly.  I ordered a 3 pc. Pronghorn a few months ago that is ready.  Any tips or recommendations for getting this bow tuned and woods worthy?  What arrow should I shoot?  Thanks guys!
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
Post your specs of the bow, and I'm sure your get some worthy advice.   :)

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
Here's a couple places to start tuning.
 http://www.arrowsbykelly.com/Spine_Charts.html
 http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

But yes, if we had your specs we could recommend some arrows to try.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
My advice, seriously, is to talk to the bowyer. Who could be better to tell you what his bows like? He can tell you what he would like to see on his bows and you can judge from there. I would take his advice though because that will get you closest. Then you can fine tune from there. also read O.L. Adcock tips on tuning bows. I think he covers everything you need to know. As far as arrows, I would start you out with aluminum. try to get your arrow weight to come out around 9 grains per pound of draw weight.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by NY Yankee:
My advice, seriously, is to talk to the bowyer. Who could be better to tell you what his bows like? He can tell you what he would like to see on his bows and you can judge from there. I would take his advice though because that will get you closest. Then you can fine tune from there. also read O.L. Adcock tips on tuning bows. I think he covers everything you need to know. As far as arrows, I would start you out with aluminum. try to get your arrow weight to come out around 9 grains per pound of draw weight.
Good advice, but I would say at LEAST 9 grains per pound of draw weight. Unless your bow is really heavy, it's not hard to get aluminums up to or over 10 grains per pound of bow weight.

I shoot Legacy 1916's cut 29 to 29 1/2" with 170 grain Wenzel Woodsman broadheads (125 grain glue-on with long aluminum inserts) and 3-5" shield cut feathers for a total weight of 509 grains (weighed on a digital scale). I use these in both my 46# and 51# Kanati longbows, so I get 11 and 10 grains per pound respectively.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Check with FerretWyo he shoots one of these bows pretty good.  Check out his elk / moose video that he posted, I am sure he could give you some pointers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©