3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Widows' without Phenolic?????  (Read 820 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Widows' without Phenolic?????
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:00 AM »
So how about a picture of one WITH the phenolic?  Where do they put it?  Is it just a lam or two down through the riser like the black stripes in the first bow shown?  I guess those must be ebony since he said it didn't have the phenolic...  Or is it in the limb butt itself?

You guys who have the bow with the red stripes in them, isn't that a phenolic strip?  Is it just dyed wood or something like diamondwood?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Plywood Bender-laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 01:37:00 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.

Aren't the red and black accent stripes phenolic?

Carl

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure the accent stripes are fiberglass.  The phenolic is on the limb wedges and extends through the riser of the bow...Mike

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
Moosman76 has it right. The smaller stripes are fiberglass. The Phenolic is in the limb wedge continuing on through the riser.

Iron,

I doubt the Phenolic is the reason for the speed difference. That is a non working portion of the bow limb. There must be something different in the limb cores themselves. You make a good point about the mass weight though. That does have me a little concerned since I like the extra weight but I figure I should be able to add a full size quiver to make up for it if needed.

I'll talk to Toby this week and hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in Kazoo so maybe some of you will be able to see it in person. This is the most spectacular piece of would I think I have ever seen. I even got a piece of scrap to make a Knife handle with.

It's like Christmas in November picking out your own wood. Come to think of it it'll be like Christmas all over again when I pick it up  :goldtooth:

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
The picture of my bow is Bocote. Heavy wood for a riser anyway.  Some bows I do not mind the phenolic/synthetic material.  My Jack Howard Classics(which I posted some pictures for Jack in the Jack Howard Project thread)have black phenolic.  Looks great.  The bows shoot very fast.  No hand shock, well just no bad issues.  Just a super  shooter.  The Black Widow.  I just wanted all wood. Just like the "old" style. My other BW that have phenolic, I can't tell a difference while shooting. No moisture issues here in AZ.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
The Jack Howard Classic is not made from black phenolic but rather is a plastic Jack mixed/formulated himself and poured into a mold that contained a steel rod for handle rigidity.

Phenolic or micarta is either paper or linen laid up in layers with epoxy resin as the binder.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Watcha got there Onestringer?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Bubinga and Osage SA, I also have a Bubinga and Yew, I will have to take pictures of.  I really like Bubinga because you can substitute the word Bubinga for many other words and make it sound dirty.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©