3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Hair Of The Dog" .........  (Read 418 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
"Hair Of The Dog" .........
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
I have been in this kind of mental rut the past week or so. Think it has alot to do with deer hunting with a non-bow. Went outside this afternoon before dark, shot my Kohannah and woodies a dozen times at leaves and such. Talk About A Lift! Looks like I'm gonna give up the regular season or use a trad bow instead. Maybe...

I dig the thick stuff and eye level encounters anyway. Had a few with bow in hand, but no meat yet. All I do is get frustrated when bambi is on full alert cause of all the red coats. When I've taken big game with a non-bow it's been at 25-30 yards anyway.

So..... Talk me into it. No tree stands or store bought blinds for this guy. Gotta still hunt and stalk. That's just me. What do you think?

... mike ...   :archer:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Hair Of The Dog" .........
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Mike I went out the first day with a gun, I wish I never did that. I have been having such a good time watching the deer evade the orange army and me. When bow season ended I was bummed out but now that I'm hunting with my Grizzly again I feel great and can't wait for the next day I can hunt, I haven't felt this way during gun season in years. A little advice although stalking is a blast it is very difficult with the deer on high alert like they are now. I would suggest that you build some blinds or hunker down in a good blow down and wait those little brown buggers out. I'm seeing more deer than ever just sitting tight and watching every thing unfold, those deer are real cunning. I have been watching this big doe with three fawns walk circles around all the hunters it is quite comical to see, the best part is they have no Idea what is going on. Give sitting a try and see what you think, I sure wish I could talk you into a tree stand so you could expand your viewing pleasure   ;)
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Get out there and pound the ground.

If you are not into it mentally, you are loosing ground ( pun intended   :)  )

Remember it is a challenge between you and your prey. They will win most of the time but not always.

Still hunting is the most demanding but also the most rewarding IMHO. Stick with the trad bow and arrows, sounds like that is what you are the happiest with.

Now get out there and have fun.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Mike come on down to Jersey in January with Team Pink/ Tri State terrors. Bring your bow, walking shoes, and "Depends". You'll have that much fun and laugh enough to warrant the "depends" I lke TWIX candy bars by the way.bentpole

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Big game at 25 to 30 yards???? Thats some good shooting cause we all know even a tree rat is big game to you.Go for it brotha.If thats what your feeling do it and besides in this below freezing weather still hunting is the way to go.Just have fun Little Buddy and get tuned up for those rabbits.Its right around the corner.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
I do hear ya Jim. Been using blowdowns and rock walls for the longest. Just don't want to carry anything in or be "locked-in" to a spot. I move head to head on trails then use what's natural to the area for a "short-stay". Learned alot from Asbell's book about what he calls "Mobil Blinds". Uncle Gene Wensel won't leave home without "Pruners". That is a Great Idea. Able to get thru tight spots and stay within cover.

I dig the Hunting part so much more than anything. My cousin Joe says "You want to be a deer, not kill one." Maybe he's right. Maybe.

... mike ...  :)  ...

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Quite honestly Iron Mike...your area is not conducive to your style or a few other styles of bowhunting.

You don't have the deer numbers there...when your sleeping, the "good ol boys" are out in their trucks with the "lights on". High pressure from the city boys who come up for one week, blast away at anything then leave.

All your skills, whether it be stillhunting, sitting or use of calls etc...are greatly diminished in your area. If finally bowkilling a deer is a priority, then find some new hunting areas. Check out the Albany Bow Only Zone...talk to locals who bowhunt that area. If you enjoy stillhunting all day, not seeing any deer, getting excersise and then fret over gun hunters coming in....stay in the Catskills.

Not being rude Iron Mike but facts are facts. Serpentinging through the woods Asbell style won't cut it here in NY on whitetails. Maybe in Colorado on Mule deer or Utah his style works but here...close the book and stop reading. You only have one week left before NY's late season.

Check out different areas, call some people, get motivated. Please don't end up like Woodie...sitting home on the couch watching Star Trek reruns while the rut is heating up again. Get your game face on and have at it...Good luck my friend........Keep the faith........Joe
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Gee Wizz Joe... "Hunt where the deer are." Thanks.

... mike ...   :p   ...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
Mike, get out there with that Shrew I sold You... It will make meat. Just lay it flat the night before on something soft. The Great Spirit will guide the arrow from it to the magic spot.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Mikey,
Important things frist. How ya been..???

Sometime's the man outside has got-ta let the hunter inside come out and do what ya soul is telling ya to do...
Good Luck Buddy.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Mike..What Joes saying is true,It can be done but very hard were we hunt.I like venison so its tree stands and blinds for me,Or even doing a slow push works sometimes.I love the outdoors but you have to put wood in the air if you know what I mean......ED
Put some air under it.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
All of you fellas have got me thinking good stuff. I still want to keep hunting deer a challange and fun at the same time. But you knew that about me already. Right?

Thanksgiving Day I'll be touching up my Woodsmans! Pop Gun is gonna stay home. Now if I can get some more time off from work next week... Think I'm comin' down with the flu. ...  :rolleyes:  ...

... mike ...   ;)   ...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Mike, you have to remember this is all about haveing a good experiance. Hunting where there is some deer is good advise, But I still have not found that place either. I think next year I'm going back up north, fewer deer but may have a chance at a bear,big country to wander in and very few, almost no people. Longbow,sandwich,treeseat,and all day to wander, sounds like a plan to me. Maybe you want to go?  ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
What county are you hunting in Mike? I'm in montgomery near Adk mt Ken.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Go git'em Mike!!!!!   :archer:

I've never been ashamed to pick up one of my old bang sticks,but I understand where my Brother's heart is at.

I'll break out my pipe and send smoke to the Great One,asking him to send My Brother a "good day"
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
I almost broke out Dinner Bell today, but decided to cook the turkey instead. The house is a wreck (always is) and there are a bunch of chores to do. As long as there is an internet connection I can avoid them, though.

Mikey, have fun and follow your bliss. Let your spirit lead you. Me, I am using my mother's knife and stoneware (she was a potter) and spending the day with her.

Killdeer   :wavey:    :notworthy:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©