3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka Gear  (Read 1078 times)

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka Gear
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Beach bowhunter,

I haven't tried the first lite but Rob at ASAT is a friend of mine and I have seen the product. It looks very good and I am sure its excellent. As for drying the Sitka? I've never had a problem with that. Here in MT after I sweat it up, I just hang it over night and its always been dry when I put it on the next day. How wet was your Sitka? If its really wet, you may have to "wring" it out, or maybe hang it near the campfire. But other than that I'd expect it to air out quickly.

I'm glad you like the pants. I really love the new ascent pants. They are great for all day elk hunts!

Best to you! Peter

JC...will flattery get me a Georgia hog hunt invite??

Chris...got your PM!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Norbert,

I found that to be the case with the old thick Mountain shirt; I have not found any other piece that did not dry out quickly.  I have poured a LOT of sweat into every layer and combination of these things!

Specificallly I never cease to be amazed by the mountain/ascent pants.  You walk thru a dew covered meadow first thing in the morning and are soaked...10 minutes into the climb up the mountian, they are dry   :thumbsup:

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
Peter, you set the date and I'll find the spot. You know you're welcome anytime.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
JC,

Sweet! When is the best time...(I'm a hog novice and virgin)...

Peter

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I'll email ya...
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Peter,
Make sure you make that hog hunt!! I have been to Arizona twice hunting javelina and Texas once for hogs and javelina. ABSOLUTE FUN!!!

JC > where is Ranger,Ga? I used to do a lot of work in south Georgia (Vidalia Onion area). Great people, with great hunting opportunities.

<><

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Dang, I got to get me some Sitka Gear to get in on this GA hunt  :)  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
I'm very excited to hunt hogs in GA...Maybe JC and Biggie will teach me thier "Ninja" tricks...

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
In lieu of sending it back for a refund I would have encouraged you to try another jacket.  Even the most stringent quality control sytems miss one once in a great while.

I have hunted in the 90% gear exclusively for the past two seasons in Indiana and elswhere with great results.  I have sat through hard rains, long steady rains and cold days on the stand in my gear and stayed warm and dry.  I tracked a wounded deer for four hours last season for a friend of mine in a steady rain and stayed dry as well.

I really encourage you to give another 90% jacket a try.  It really is good equipment that I trust now everytime I get a chance to hunt.
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
What tippit said! One of these days I will be able to afford it but I am sure it is worth every penny. I have heard lots of great stuff about it.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the '08 90% jacket is a much different garment than the '07 90% jacket.  

The '07 version of the 90% jacket is very water resistant and fairly warm and has a hood and pockets that open up to mesh with the '07 interior vest.  The '08 version seems to me to be more for warmer weather or higher exertion (mountain) hunts.  Can't say what it's like when it's wet.  I like it also.

(By the way, I bought an extra '07 90% jacket last year, but now realize it'll take many hard seasons to wear out the first one, so if anyone's interested I might be able to make you a deal...).

I hope I'm not out of line by saying this as a Sitka staffer, but if any of you are still considering the Celsius bibs, you should know that while they are warm and I really like many other features, they do NOT have the zippers that many of us want/expect/are used to in a bib.  I will soon offer my feedback directly to Peter and the others on this garment (love the Celsius coat by the way), but I think it needs full side zippers as well as a front zipper or something so it can be put on or taken off easier in the field.  So if you're weighing a decision on what to buy this year and what to purchase next, perhaps, I'd maybe get a first-hand look at the bibs and decide if they are for you or not.  

That said, I'd like to follow up by adding that I LOVE the system.  While I'd tweak the bibs a little bit, I consider Sitka Gear to be high quality clothing that should last a decade or perhaps much more.  That puts the price tag into proper persective.

This company isn't resting on its laurels, values hunter feedback, and is working closely with cutting edge products to make the best clothing items out there.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
Steve O, I don't know if my Mountain shirt is an old one (two years) but it is the hardest to dry. The base layer mostly dries but is always clammy after the first day. Of course, it doesn't get much of a chance to dry when you are out of camp for around 18 hours a day...

The thing I haven't figured out yet is at the end of a long day, all of the layers have wicked up sweat and when the sun goes down you can get really chilled. I've taken to bringing a change out shirt for the hike back to camp.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Yes, regarding what "Wary Buck" (Bryce) said. Please feel free to send me any comments/feedback/(negative or positive) about your Sitka and your experience with it.

Sitka is continuing to develop/design and if need be, to improve on the "Sitka System".

Your feedback is welcomed and it's what will continue to help us develop clothing/gear that will stand above all others.

Please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]

Thanks! Peter Iacavazzi

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 04:58:00 AM »
how about more vertical grey for us guys that still hunt in the timber? There aren't very many leaves in dog-hair fir patch's
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 05:36:00 AM »
S-N-S bow,  Sitka and it's new partner have come up with a whole new camo concept for '09...it's exciting stuff!

Sitka works very,very hard to improve every year.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
Who is Sitka's new partner??

<><

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Dressing for cold weather is always a trade-off between being warm enough and still being able to draw your bow effectively and quietly.  This past weekend, I put in a long morning on stand in about 22-degree weather in Sitka Gear, and felt while I was on stand that this was the fewest layers of clothing (or least amount of bulk) that I'd worn in that weather and still was warm.  And certainly could've pulled off a shot with no problem.

Had on Sitka heavy core bottoms, traverse bottoms, '07 90% bottoms, and '08 Celsius bibs.  On top, core top, '07 Mountain shirt, '07 vest, '07 90% jacket, '08 Celsius coat.  In colder weather I might've opted for a layer of Winona instead of the 90% layer, but for 20 degrees and no wind, this was perfect and I was able to sit for close to 4 hours before deciding to get down with no problems.

Also should be noted that I took a leisurely 3/4 mi. walk back out of the woods and reached the truck not feeling overheated or clammy.

Wore Beanie and Celsius hat on top.  Handwarmer in each pocket with last year's gloves.  Only thing cold was my feet and that's because I need new boots and didn't put foot warmers in or bring Boot Blankets.   :)
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Bryce,
Thanks for the update. I find it interesting that you wore the 90% pants with the bibs. Seems like a lot to wear. I always figured a layer or two underneath and you would be fine. Most importantly you stayed WARM!
Staying warm is something I have not been able to do this year. I keep trying new combinations of clothing and I am getting closer to what I need. I have on order a Sitka core shirt and Traverse shirt. I figure these with my Ulfrotte 400gram sweater, then my jacket should keep me warm???
I am looking closely at some of Sitka Nimbus raingear. Do you have experience with these?
I am planning on a moose hunt in Alaska next Sept. Hopefully these will be the ticket.
Thanks

chris <><

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Beach- have the same problem with my mountain shirt-it seems to actually dry slower than cotton. I love the 90% pants. Sitka is good stuff, but I wouldn't even consider wearing it under 30 degrees if you're sitting as there are much better and less expensive options for stand hunting in colder weather and the sitka just isn't very warm.
BD

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Is Sitka Gear quiet?
I see all kinds of hunting clothes advertised as silent, and they seem silent when I brush'm around in the store, but in the deer woods they sound like crumpled paper.
Is this gear quiet enough for recurve close?
Thanks Robert

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©