3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka Gear  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka Gear
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
My Sitka Gear is really queit.  I primarily hunt from the ground and I've never had a problem with it spooking any animals.
Stalked both of these within 15 yards with a recurve.

In Hawaii, I've never had a problem with my Sitka Gear drying and I sweat like a pig, and hunt with a pack on my back all day long.

Ryan

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Sitka Gear is EXTREMELY quiet.  On the question (Chris) about it seeming like an awful lot to wear...the Sitka gear Celsius line is very warm with minimal bulk.  Thus layering under it is not problematic (within reason).  I get cold easily so would rather be a little overdressed than underdressed.  

I only broke out the Nimbus (raingear) twice this season, but I'm so darned impressed with it I almost hope it rains just so I can validate my purchase!   :)   Honestly, the stuff packs down very small and yet is full-featured with nice ventilation ideas...and it stretches like nobody's business.  A hefty investment, but I can't imagine you'd ever even think about owning another kind of raingear again.  I can't wait for an Alberta hunt I have planned in '09.  

As for the '07 Mountain Shirt, it does dry slowly, but as a middle layer or on days when you're not working up a sit...it is my favorite piece of all these items (the Ascent pants are a close second).  Extremely comfortable.  I don't hae the Traverse Shirt, but I gather it is everything the Mountain Shirt is but with some technical improvements for the active hunter.  It's on my wish list for '09.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Bryce,
Thanks for your input on the raingear.
I went to a local store today that carried the Sitka line.
I can see why you could wear the 90% pants, plus bibs, stuff is very light. It is hard to believe that the stuff is warm. Like you I get cold easy, so I am skeptical. I have on order a core shirt and traverse shirt. I will start with these items.
I am surprised you like the Ascent pants. They seemed so flimsy. Just don't seemed very rugged or warm, even in warm weather.
I did like the looks of the 90% pants. Looks like they could be used under a lot of different hunting situations.
Unfortunately the store had only the 2007 rainwear jacket. A pullover. Looked decent, but I like the new style look better.
Thanks again.

chris <><

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
I've been testing various mid-layers to wear over my Traverse Tops and Bottoms and under my Celsius Jacket and Bibs.  I tried a number of things before I found a Polartec Wind Pro pullover from LL Bean that works great.  Most wind block fleece is noisy and doesn't breath due to some type of polyurethane lamination (i.e. Under Armour).  The Wind Pro fleece is a non-laminated, tightly woven fleece that still breathes but blocks 90% of the wind and holds more heat in than regular fleece.  (It is called 200 Super Fleece in their catalog.)  There may be some wools that will work just as well, however, I like the easy care of fleece.  The Traverse Top, Wind Pro pullover and Celsius Jacket have kept me warm in the windy 20's with no problem.  I add a layer of 200 level fleece pants (also from LL Bean) and I can hunt into the teens without a problem by adding the Celsius vest over the Wind Pro pullover.  I'll get some Wind Pro pants if I can find them.  I wear the Celsius hat above my ears and an Under Armour neck gaiter pulled up over my ears.  It provides warmth without blocking too much sound.

Add the mid-layer to the 90% Jacket and Pants and you have a setup that will take you through all the seasons and every possible situation.

Sitka Gear is the most comfortable camo clothing I've ever worn.  I could sleep in it (I actually did for a while last Saturday morning).  It also seems to work with you, rather than against you, when you shoot your bow.  It is as quiet as anything I've ever worn and it is really tough. I wore my last camo for 12 years and it wasn't half the quality of the Sitka stuff.  It should last a long - long time.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
On the Ascent pants, I don't think they're advertised as being warm.  But they are actually quite rugged despite appearances.  The 'stretch' of the fabric will make them your favorites in no time.  

Again, on the 90% pant, there is the '07 and '08 models and they are different.  I don't have the '08's so can't comment.  I do have the '07's and have worn one pair probably 50 times now and it shows almost no wear whatsoever.  They are not heavily-insulated by any means, but warmer than they look.  Last year, I'd wear core bottoms, the Mountain Pant, a layer of Winona, and the 90% pants and be warm down to maybe the teens.

This year, with the Celsius bib over top of the 90% pants, I've been getting by without the Winona layer.

I think Jay Kidwell above is dead on in his assessment of how long the Sitka gear should last.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
I bought the Traverse shirt and core shirt today. I have been wearing them around the house and they are comfortable. A little tight under the arms, but I think that will stretch a little.
I will layer these two shirts with a layer of 400gram Ulfortte long underwear, plus a vest under my jakcet. I should be able to stay warm with all that on.
The 90% pants do look nice, and I think would work good on my alaskan moose hunt. However, I am in more need of raingear. So now I am going to save my money for those items
Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions, and recommandations!
Bryce, I apperciate your honesty on the bibs. Even though you are a Prostaffer, you aren't afraid to admit that improvements can/need to be made.

chris <><

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I wore my Sitka gear almost exclusively this fall, and really like the quiet and flexibility I get with it.  I don't have the new celsuis stuff, but the 90% worked well for me as an outside layer.  The pants over heavyweight fleece long underwear, and the jacket over a light, insulated windproof jacket.  That, coupled with my KOM vest over top, and I was good to single digit windchills for a couple hours.  I still give the wool the edge for warmth, but have learned to utilize the benefits of the Sitka a bit better.  A great line of hunting wear, and great camo pattern too, for us western guys, I might add.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Tocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
There is no question about Sitka gears quality.My 90% jacket which I purcased in 2007 initially in a size large,which I returned for an XL.I am 175 pounds and 6' 1" tall.The large didn't permit any layering under it for me.I didn't find it to be warm beyond the low thirties even with layering and for woods and mountains that primarily have conifer tree's I was a little concerned with the sound that comes with movement in the 90% material.
I have the mountain pants and really like them,I also have the summitt shirt and beanie,I don't find the summitt shirt or beanie to be particularly unique in regard to what they offer.
I get cold easily and the majority of my hunts involve long hikes followed by long sits,so a lot of my layers are in my pack.
The solutions for me have been the combination of merino wool,down or synthetic loft garments,fleece and wolf skin and Dutch Harbor rain gear or goretex rain gear.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
I bought a full set at the end of 2007 (Most of it was discounted).  My experience was that for elk hunting it was the best I ever used.  Layering worked awesome, I was never dryer and I stayed very comfortable using some extra insulation.  That included spiking out at 11,000-13,000 feet.  But I did not find it nearly as warm as my wool for stand hunting in November, December and January.  From what I saw of their 2008 line it had warmer garments in it (Celsius bib and jacket).  Unfortunately I don't have the funds for it.  So for me it is primarily used for early season and elk, where it truly shines.  If you can afford the entire lineup, I am sure you would be warm in all weather.  Only wish it was made in the USA.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
We will have a demo booth at the Trad. Bowhunter Expo this weekend (Jan 30th) in Kalamzoo Michigan in case folks what to see and get fitted for themselves. Mike

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
Well....I started this post back in Nov. when I was disappointed in my 90% jacket. However, I was very impressed with the people at Sitka and there commitment to customer service.
Since that time and b/c of the kindness of Peter Iacavazzi, I have been able to obtain a Traverse shirt, base layer shirt, 90% pants, Celcius vest and hat.
A combination of the baselayer shirt, a 400g. Ullfrotte wool sweater, and the Traverse shirt on top is very warm. I esp. like the "slickness" of the Traverse shirt, it does not catch on the inside of my fleece jacket!
The Celcius hat is the BOMB!! I have small head so it is a little big, however, with the addition of a fleece skull cap underneath, I have a very windproof and WARM combination!!
Unfortunately, the 90% pants and Celcius vest arrived after the Michigan deer season was over.
I have worn the vest snowshoing, XC skiing and yesterday, I wore it with the above mentioned attire, while standing in the river flyfishing at 16 degrees with a steady breeze. the vest was a very nice addition for warmth.(Yes, the fishing was excellent!)
I would now say I am a Sitka "convert". I am now saving for some Nimbus raingear, which I have heard is VERY nice stuff.
I do have one small complaint and that is with the base layer shirt. I did some testing on its "stinkproofness". I wore the shirt 4-5 times before washing. By the fifth time wearing it the shirt really became ripe! Maybe, my "stink" is too powerful (LOL)!!! None the less, a very nice shirt!
Hopefully, I can make it to "the show" this weekend. I would love to meet some of the Sitka guys who have posted on this post!
Peace

chris <><

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
I've had a peek at the 2009 catalog and there are some really cool new additions for this year's line.  It's good stuff for sure.  This outfit will not sit on its laurels but is constantly working to better an already great product.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©