3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 333 times)

Offline blackbearsman

• Trad Bowhunter
Beginner
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Im using a 50 pound coumpond bow since 20 years and im willing to become a trad.bowhunter;i first want to hunt snowshoe hare and when i`ll be confident i want to hunt black bear from a 8 to 12 feet high treestand;which bow should i use;longbow or recurve;must i use a shorter bow because of the treestand,should i use a takedown recurve with 2 different set of limbs;one set for snowshoe hare and 1 for bear and other big game;which poundage must i use at the minimum for snowshoe hare!THANKS

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginner
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Moving to PowWow.......
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I shoot a 62" Black Widow from a treestand with no problems at all.  My biggest bit of advice when switching to trad gear is don't over bow yourself, meaning get a draw weight you can handle comfortably.  I am a former competitive weightlifter and shoot a 49 lb bow.  Just because you might be able to pull greater poundage does not mean you are going to be more accurate in hunting situations...more horse power is not neccisarily better in the Traditional Bowhunting realm.  With the right broadhead and arrow shaft my draw weight is more than enough for any big game animal.  I would also suggest that you get one set of limbs for both types of hunting and become very proficient with it.  The best way to get ready for the hunting season is to practice on small game with your big game gear...thats what I do.  I would suggest a draw weight anywhere from 45 lbs to 55 lbs for the type of hunting you mention.  G. Fred Asbell once told me that a 55 lb bow will cleanly kill anything in North America, given his experience I believe him whole heartedly.  Personally, I like the smoothness of the recurves.  I own both a longbow and recurves and prefer the recurve.  Lastly, you may want to try and find someone who has a recurve and longbow and shoot them for yourself to see how they feel for you.  Keep in mind the draw weight of the bows as well.  Hope this helps and PM me if you would like any more information or help.
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline blackbearsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
Thank you for your advice;
i really want to become a traditionnal bowhunter;but i don`t know anybody here in my area that is using trad archery!
im very happy that i`ve found TRADGANG;i beleive that`s a place to learn,to share memories and to make some friends!
I`ve seen TRADGANG as a DVD;i beleive it`s perfect for a beginner like me!

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Blackbearsman Welcome glad you made it over here!!! You are not going to be a trad hunter you will be a addict like the rest of us here. There is not a 12 step program for us yet so we keep buying more bows.....

Well I would reccomend the lighest bow to legally hunt small game where you hunt, Not knowing you stature I would say a 45-50lb should do it. This will allow you to build your form and become consistant with your anchor. It wont take long and you will be ready for your Bear Bow, after shooting fer a while you will know what you want for a grip and bow length.  Again welcome
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline blackbearsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Yes i beleive i will be addicted;i want a trad. since many years but nobody has one here and i didn`t no if i can shoot because of my right arm!
We can use any bow for small games ,so no minimum; for BIG game(moose-caribou-bear-whitetail) our minimum requirement is 40 pound;i was willing to buy a 40 pound bow but by what i`ve read it seems that im better getting one at 50;im right handed and i`ve lost 30% mobility of my right arm 10 years ago,i wish i`ll be able to shoot a trad,this his the main reason why im willing to use a lighter bow;i was shooting with fingers before i`ve injured myself;since that happen im using a release which i don`t like because it`s not as fast as finger shooting!
Thanks

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Welcome to Tradgang. I'm sure you will get all the help you need here. Just be patient, it is hunting season for something just about everywhere with whitetail on alot of our minds.

You have already gotten good advice. You don't want to get information overload. Ask as needed.
 :campfire:
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline blackbearsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
THANK YOU
LUCKY
are season which last only 2 weeks is done and will probably be closed in my zone for several years(ZONE 2 BAS ST-LAURENT);in 2007;only 41 deer harvested in bow season into 16000 square KM.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
since no one lese said it I will, yer makin a mistake starting out in the 50 lb range, youd be much better starting around 35 till you learn and get your form etc. this aint nothin like a 50 compound(where you are only holding 25 or less-more likely under 20)

get a cheapy off **** for now,,,or better yet from someone here.

Offline blackbearsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks trapperdave
Im holding only 8 pound with my coumpond!
With a trad bow;i beleive that the fingers will have alot more stress!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©