3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: john mccullough longbows?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
john mccullough longbows?
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
i know nothing of them, have never heard of them, but may have a deal on another site, where i trade a compound for one.  are they still made?  what is an average price for one?  the guy says its heritiage walnut riser, and boo limbs, so it sounds great.  is the overall workmenship of these bows good?  fast, shock free?  does he have a web site?  thanks for any info.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: john mccullough longbows?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
no website...his bows are top notch!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
John's bows are among the best available. Excellent workmanship & performance.  I like the 59er, a sooped up version of the 1959 Bear Kodiak.  I've also owned the Griffen LB which is similar to Ron LaClair's popular Shrew. I have no experience with the Tsunami but I've heard good things.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
Workmanship ship is superb.Excellant shooters.Dont worry about handshock.Its not an issue.No website as far as I know.Wait time is around 18 months for a custom made bow.Resale value is high.They are plenty fast enough.If it fits you go for it with no hesitation.

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
John at one time made the RACO longbow. If you can get your hands on one , grab it up quick! Great little bow. They sold for around $300 new and where one of the great unknown bargins of the industry.

J-MAC
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 01:36:00 AM »
Alot of Guys I know shoot them and swear by them. I have never shot one but would not hesitate to get one if I found one.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
I have a Griffin made by John which is to me the nicest shooting longbow Ive ever shot and very quiet too.I hate to brag but shes a pretty thing too!A long waiting list but as long as you have other bows it wont hurt too bad.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
What John said...I bought my first and only longbow from John McCullough at Baltimore in 99'.

It was brand new...$250! I took a dozen longbow shooters to try it for me... and John just laughed and laughed at me... cause I was sooo paranoid.

Everyone commented on the fast cast...the lack of hand shock..smooth draw...etc. It was a action wood riser... red elm limbs..nothing fancy...but shot like a house afire!

John makes some fancy bows under another name...true beauties... The Griffin line...but whatever he puts his name to...is quality.

Whichever way you go... Raco or Griffin if the RACO is still available...it's amazing! JOhn's a straight shooter, just like so many bowyers out there making $.40/hour before taxes to build our passions for us!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
I suspect the Griffin is already gone if anyone else caught wind of it. They are almost impossible to get.
Best of luck.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
HURRY UP AND BUY IT!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
I have a Griffin,and it is a sweet shooting bow.Great grip,he used to build Super Shrews for Ron LeClair.Now I believe Greg Coffee builds them now.

Offline NewtoTrad2008

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Deermaster, just curious what site were you able to trade your compound for a longbow. I have one I was going to sell, but if I can trade it for a good longbow that would be better.
Get your deal done so I done and let me know, I would hate to snake a bow away from someone.   :banghead:
Kanati 56" 55#@26" missing :-(
Mohawk 64" 60#@28"
Ben Pearson KM Special 50#@28"
Matt

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I've had 3 griffins.And just got one a little over a month ago and another on order.The wait time is at least 18 months.Everything about Johns bows is top notch!!!
Get it quick!
The only thing differant between the Raco and Griffin i believe is the raco did not have boo in the limbs.or fancy woods.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
ALL THE ABOVE !!! EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, and did I say EXCELLENT !!!

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
Not only is Mr. McCullough's bows similar to Mr. LaClair's Shrew bows, up until 2 or 3 years ago Mr. McCullough was Mr. LaClair's bowyer building the Shrews.  The difference between the Shrew line of bows and the the Griffen bows?  Length.  The Shrew bows are 60" and under and the Griffin bows are 62" and longer.  If the bow you can trade for is a Tsunami, commit to the trade as soon as possible!  They are a great bow!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Bill, I have a 56" Griffin.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Yes, I noticed a 60" Griffin on the link above.  Maybe that was an agreement Mr. McCullough had with Mr. LaClair while he was building Shrew bows.  I've only shot one Griffin bow, a 68" 42#@28" Tsunami and it is a sweet shooting bow!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Super Shrew=60" and down

Griffon=60" and up

John makes an awesome bow.  I have a T/D SS Chameleon that I will never part with.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I was fortunate enough to shoot one of Mr McCullough's bow a few months ago. I was very impressed with the bow, it shoot right where I pointed it every time.
Very nice bows, i would buy one in a second.

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
I have a Griffin Longbow.  You could not buy it from me.  I have no other bows except a self bow made for me by a friend.  If I got another bow it would be another Griffin.  Everyone who shoots it loves it.  It is fast and hand shock is not noticeable, if there is any at all.  If you have a chance to get one without waiting, go for it.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©