3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broadhead sharpener????  (Read 275 times)

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
broadhead sharpener????
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
Hey guys and gals just wondering what sharpener everyone would reccomend to sharpen Abowyer broadheads or any other two bladed single bevel broadheads.  

Thanks Shawn

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: broadhead sharpener????
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
kme broadhead or knife sharpener.  both are fantastic.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
I was going to say exactly what CJC said above.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I figured thats what the best option was.  Thanks I'm sold.

Shawn

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Shawn -- Ron may slice my throat -- Swishhhhh! --for saying this, but ... I have both the KME broadhead and knife sharpeners, and both are superb, best I've found in a long lifetime of looking (I'm sharpening-challenged). So, while I agree with all amigos above re the KME broadhead rig's excellence, if you're poor like me and also have knives to sharpen, thus can afford only one great sharpener in your life), there's plenty of testimony including my humble own that you can get really sharp heads with the knife rig and a bit of stropping (Ron recommends corrugated cardboard, stropping across the grain), which you can also use for ... knives! But not vice-versa. Also, the knife sharpening jig works great for convex heads like Eclipse, as well as straight. If you can afford both, get both. If not, go for the knife jig. My 2,000 cents worth. dave

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
Good point Dave, and I don't think Ron will mind.  When I talked to him on the phone he actually recommended the knife sharpener for exactly the reasons you stated.  I've yet to order, but will get the broadhead sharpener first...Mike

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
X-Block has worked great for me on all broadheads...give it a try you'll like it
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
If you get the knife sharpener,and use it for BH, too, and you're going to use it on laminated BH's, spring for the diamond hones to go with it. They're a tiny bit thinner, so I made some plastic shims from Evergreen sheets at the hobby store (model train stuff) to shim them to the same dimensions as the hard stones. No biggie..just one thing to even it all out.

Those diamond hones HELP that miserable removal of laminated BH layers when you try for a steeper angle...but it's only the first time...if you take time and invest right...then it's a slick deal thereafter!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Allrighty thanks a million.  I'll give them a call and try to make a decision.  Its not like I need to sharpen them from being bloody I can promise you that.  

Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©