3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie needs education on arrows  (Read 257 times)

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie needs education on arrows
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Over the summer I've re-entered traditional archery from compounds(same story as many).  My recurve is a Great Plains 55@28 I also have a Barta Longbow 55@28 but shoot the recurve with more consistancy, I shoot left handed, instinctively, off the shelf with 27 inch draw.
Presently I'm shooting Beman 400 carbons cut to 28" that I purchased from 3 Rivers with 125 grain points and broadheads standard inserts.  I have used Bemans for years and felt comfortable with the arrows.  I have them shooting fine and really enjoy shooting again, practicing most days.
The problem is I have a very limited knowledge on arrows.  From what I read on tradgang I think I should be shooting arrows with greater foward weight for a more dependable flight and penetration and I understand that concept.
Now the questions.  Should I increase the length of the arrow as I increase foward weight?  Should I consider brass inserts? What would be a good arrow weight to work towards? Since I shoot lefthanded should I shoot right helical feathers?
Please help this newbie, I have aquired to much incomplete knowledge and opinion to grasp a good understanding of arrow selection.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie needs education on arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Glenn,

I'm a lefty as well. Rule of thumb is if your shooting left use the right helical. I shoot right helical but have not noticed any difference from the lefts I tried. I find that my arrows tune much better on the long side as opposed to short side. I draw about 29" and cut all my arrows at 30". As for up front weight I am sold on high FOC. On my beeman 400's I shoot 285gr and 300gr up front out of my 64# longbows. Easiest way to achieve this up front weight is big field points or broadheads. You can buy 250gr and 300gr field points from Bob Morrison (sponsor here). For broadheads I use the 300extreme which is 300grs or use a 125gr steel broadhead adaptor on a 160gr STOS broadhead (285 total). I have used the brass inserts but I find it much easier to change the tips/broadheads. One thing for sure, arrow flight has always improved with more weight up front. You will find it hard to beat the penetration achieved with 300gr up front on your arrows.
hunt it

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
Thanks for the help!  I have ordered some big field points and will give them a try.  I will also try to find an arrow maker to make me a new stock of longer carbons with a right helical.

Again thanks
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
Anytime Glenn. You try the rights and see what you think for yourself. My son shoots righthanded and all his feathers are right wings as thats all dad has ever had. His arrows fly perfect and has never had any arrow flight issues. Perhaps someone with more arrow flight knowledge than myself can chime in with the scientific side of this one. In my experience it's one of the bigger archery myths out there.
hunt it

Offline pooahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Glenn, that seems a little stiff. 400 deflection  cut 28" from 53 lbs. off a recurve may require extra weight up front to adjust spine. Carbons like weight forward anyway. Just my 2 cents... I shoot recurve 56lbs 30" 400 deflection with 165 grain field points.  You can't argue with success if you're getting good flight, but I would try some heavy points and maybe brass inserts to see if it improves.

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
Yes, I was thinking I should add forward weight and already ordered some different field points. But shouldn't I also add length to the arrow, perhaps 29 inches.
Thanks
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline pooahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
My guess would be you'd be better off with a longer arrow at that spine. My bow also likes .500 easton axis carbons, 28 inches, 125 grains points. Length makes a big difference in spine, so your best bet for tuning is to get a couple full-length shafts and shorten them a little at a time until you get to where you  like the flight. hope this helps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©