3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4" vs 5" feathers  (Read 210 times)

Offline cedarshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
4" vs 5" feathers
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
I shoot mostly 5" feathers in various styles [P&Y, shield, etc} I recently bought some arrows off a trade blanket that were fletched with 4" feathers and they seemed to shoot just fine. I would definitely continue with 5" on broadheads but thinking of going to 4" for target/3-D shooting. Figure I might be able to diecut 2 useable 4" feathers from a whole one.Any comments from those who have tried this before or currently shoot 4". Shooting recureves mostly and my longow occasionally. Thanks for any input.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4" vs 5" feathers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
A long time ago a friend made me a dozen Microflight arrows with 4" straight offset fletch, shield cut.  They stabilized Bear Razorheads just fine and flew beautifully.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
I switched to 4-4" feathers about five years ago for field points and broadheads and love the set up. I especaily like that I don't have to worry about which way I nock the arrow with the 4 fletch without any compromise to stability as far as I can tell.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
I shoot three 4" shields with a helical and get good arrow flight with BH's.  125 grain BH with 100grain insert, total arrow weight of 566grains.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
I shoot 2" wide treesharks with 3 4" feathers.4" is plenty of feather for any broadhead unless you have tuning issues.I do shoot 5" on wooden arrows however because of there inconsistancys.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
I shoot 5" shield cut, cuz I like the way they look and they shoot great too. I use 300 grain broadheads and field points though as well. My arrow total around 900+grs.
                          -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©