3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advantages of the long bow?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Arthur Scottie

• Trad Bowhunter
Advantages of the long bow?
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
I saw a video of Tred Barta talking with Dale Karch from three rivers archery. They expalaned that longbows require more precise form, better tuned arrows, and more practice.

I was wondering, what are the advantages of the longbow?

By no means am I insulting the longbow. I shoot both. Other than "I like them better", what are the good reasons to shoot them? "I like them better" is a good enough excuse, but I am curious as to what other advantages the long bow has.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Advantages of the long bow?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Generally they are a little quieter. At least that has been my experience.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I don't have any recurves anymore; just longbows. I don't know that there is a real 'advantage' to them over recurves, other than personal preference. I just like the lines of the longbow, and the simplicity of them, and there is a nostalgia factor as well. I think they do take more practice, but for me that is not a problem, but a good excuse to shoot more. There is nothing at all wrong with recurves; it is just a personal preference thing. When it comes right down to it, both are just simple springs to propel the arrow. Very classy springs, but springs nonetheless.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I like to shoot longbows,I think they are quieter and a more solid and stable bow.I much prefer a longbow grip,whether it is straight,dish or a mild locator.I like the feel of a longbow and the classic D-shape.They may be alittle more critical of spine then a recurve,but I don't find that to be a problem at all.I just never really cared for a recurve type grip and I tried alot of them,they are just not for me.But thats my preference.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 02:10:00 AM »
Huh?  The usual line is that longbows are more forgiving of form.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »
For me one of the things I really like about my longbows is their lighter physical weight. I hunt Mule Deer and Elk which at times envolves considerable hiking over all kinds of terrain.  My Griffin's and Shrew, even with a quiver and 4-5 arrows is lighter than any of my 14 recurves. I also feel that I'm a little quicker on target with the longbow.
Just my 2 bits!
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 04:22:00 AM »
Everyone here should remember there isn't just one style of longbow.

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
Longbow & Hybrid LB:

Less mass in the limbs.  Less energy wasted moving the heavier limbs.  A well designed LB can produce better performance.  (think Adcock ACS, A&H ACS, etc...)

Limbs less likely to twist.

Quieter design.  No string slap between the string and limb.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Just love long bows light great lines.Very quiet.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
I like the lite weight of the longbow, the narrow limbs, and the lines. They just seem simpler, cleaner , more basic!
                                 KY  :archer:

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
Jeff U mentioned one of the higher points in my book, no limb twisting problems. Overall I believe the longbow is a stronger design over the recurve. For me these are important issues as I travel to hunt a fair amount. The stronger the better in my book. I have one recurve and enjoy shooting it but my go to bow is always one of my Morrison longbows.
hunt it

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
For you guys out there who have shoulder problems, try a long bow and you will save yourself alot of nagging pain.  My personal choice for day in day out accuracy, quiteness and shootability is a longbow. tom
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
As a bowyer that builds both, my observation is that you have longbow and recurve people.  It is really preference.  Both bows have advantages and disadvantages in different situations.  A short recurve is handier in a blind or tree.  A longbow is more comfortable in the mountains chasing elk or sheep.

Just what you like.

This is my first time ever hunting with a curve.  I've always been a Longbow guy.  Our new Orion recurve kept talking to me and it will now be my go to bow.

What you need to do is what most of our customers do.  Order an Orion with both recurve and longbow limbs.  You get both worlds without buying two bows.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
So is a self bow a modified longbow ??

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Simple. Simple is good.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Simple clean lines of the longbow does it for me! light weight, classic D style or hybrid, minimal concerns regarding limb twists (rare in longbows)and quiet shooting make it my bow of choice. I just love shooting longbows!!!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
A selfbow can be either, but is mostly a longbow.  Longbows are more durable.  You can beat a snake to death with it, or use it as a pole vault.  I like to carry longbows much better.  I am also more consistent with a longbow.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
Well, I'm going to wade into this, against my better judgement...

Based solely on my experience, shooting sytle, and personal preference, I don't think there's a clear advantage to either one.  Having said that, I've found that I prefer longbows.  --Specifically, r/d "hybrids" with a recurve style grip.

I think you get the best of both worlds with that design.  The lack of string slap on the limbs ups the "quiet" factor, the limb design boosts performance, and the heavier, pistol/locator grip tends towards more stability and consistent grip placement/pressure.

I know when I started out, shooting a light, "d" shape longbow, with a broom-handle grip was quite a challenge.  For me, it all boiled down to consistent grip placement, and keeping a solid bow arm at release.  I found that after I got the basics down with a heavier recurve riser, I shot my lighter longbow much better.  Holding that heavier bow out there at arm's length seemed more "stable".  The first time I picked up my longbow after a few months of shooting a recurve, I surprised myself on the first shot...  "Hey, my bow arm didn't move!"

I'm not enough of an engineer to talk about stability factors involving wider, thinner limbs vs. narrow, deeper cored limbs, but I could write all day on the different "shootability" factors that I experienced.

Having said all that, I think heavy risers with grips that promote consistent hand placement, and help reduce torque, are the best type of bows for folks like me to learn on.  The only learning "curve" on a true "longbow" for me was figuring out how to hang on to it!

Once you know how to shoot a bow consistently and accurately, the "best" is determined only by whats purdier in your eyes, and feels "more better" in your hands!

Going back to the original question:

Originally posted by Arthur Scottie:
I saw a video of Tred Barta talking with Dale Karch from three rivers archery. They expalaned that longbows require more precise form, better tuned arrows, and more practice.

I was wondering, what are the advantages of the longbow?

By no means am I insulting the longbow. I shoot both. Other than "I like them better", what are the good reasons to shoot them? "I like them better" is a good enough excuse, but I am curious as to what other advantages the long bow has.
Answer -- No other advantage.  "I like it better" wins!  "More precise form, better tuned arrows, and more practice" is a pain in the arse to some, and a joy to others.    :D
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
In G Freds book he says that the long bow is a little different to shot not more difficult, just a little different.  Howard Hill said that they are less complicated to shot.
I like the long bow because of the lines, the comfortable handle, the quietness (that cool thump) the weight - pracitcurely in elk country -
They are an addiction.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Longbows are just cool!!  That is my reason for shooting one.

On the other hand I have found that if I have a momentary breakdown in form or flub a release I still manage to hit with my longbow where if this happens while shooting a curve I get eratic arrow flight.  Just my experience.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©