3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advantages of the long bow?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advantages of the long bow?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
I started out with recurves and later found myself preferring longbows and now shoot an R/D longbow and some of my own selfbows. I think it is a purely personal preference thing.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
well to me a bow is a bow be it longbow or recurve as long as it flings an arrow.  i love them both. while in the states last year i got to shoot a morrision recurve and wow!!! that was nice it was one of bob walkers and then i picked up my t/d longbow and it shot different than the recurve for sure. ifound the recurve smooth quite and quick. real nice to shoot. but i love both curve and longbow.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
- Lighter in the hand
- Easier to string and unstring with push-pull
- Limbs aren't as prone to twisting
- Easier to repair in the field
- Quieter shooting
- Take up less space when unstrung

Jason

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
Longbows are light and silent, to me these are both good things. I also shoot recurves but longbows just seem to be more fun for me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline pooahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
It's "that feeling" - there's something special about being "on" and making shots with the longbow that just feels different from the recurve, in my experience.  Not magical or mystical, but close.  That said, I prefer recurve because for me it is more forgiving and helps me shoot more consistently.  But hitting the target with a longbow, especially at longer distances, is really awesome.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
The only comment I'm gonna make on this one is it's

personal preferance

Try them all then decide for yourself    :coffee:
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
Here we go, now I'm gonna get it. Simple physics and geometry would say a longbow would be more forgiving. More length in the limbs means less movement at full draw versus a shorter recurve, less string angle too, and the string never contacts the working limb, resulting in a more forgiving, quieter shot. Picture if you will a 60 inch stick, grab it and wiggle it, now do the same with a 70inch stick takes more effort right. Little mistakes are forgiven more easily with a longer bow. Now, narrow, thicker limbs are sturdier than wide flat ones. If you don't believe me grab and unstrung recurve and give the limbs a twist they flex. Try the same with a narrow thick limbed bow such as a Hill...good luck. Recurves usually have a heavy riser and light limbs, longbows usually have heavier limbs and a smaller lighter riser this too equals more stability in the longbow. Again, grab a recurve give it a wiggle, grab a longbow and do the same, the heavier mass of the limbs is farther away from the center mass of the bow requiring more effort to wiggle than the light, wide recurve limbs with the heavy riser, where all the mass is in your hand just waiting for you to wiggle. The less variables you have at full draw the more accurate you will be. I still think it is absolutely your preference that will decide what you shoot. But this does make sense if you think about it. Ok, now let me have it.
                               -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
While I've killed several deer with my longbow I don't like to use a quiver on it and when it comes time to go hunting I just like to have my arrows on the bow so most of the time I end up with my recurve.  As for penetration or accuracy I really see no difference between the two.

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
To me a recurve is like cocking a single shot revolver when you almost come to anchor i feel the curve in the limb and a longbow is oh so smooth all the way back and just quiet as a church mouse!!!!LONGBOWS FOR EVER!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
I'd have to divide it into "longbows", "recurves" and "hybrids" to even answer the question if only for me. For me when I think "longbow" even R/D, there is a line that gets crossed in which a bow is arguably as much a recurve as it is a longbow and then the bow has lost some of the romance and the appeal (and qualities) of shooting a longbow per se but none of the appeal and advantages of shooting a great "hybrid" bow!  I am NOT drawing a hierarchy as I love my recurves and I had the pleasure of shooting a Morrison Shawnee, 3 piece hybrid at my weight this summer. I love the bow and I want one but when I want to experience that particular feeling that bespeaks "longbow" it has to have the Howard Hill "D" shape, length and handle. So, some of the bows mentioned outperform my longbow in terms of easier grip and performance characteristics as does my recurve but that's because they have gone as far as you can go in some cases and still be called longbows by the definition we are currently using. Right now I am solidly in the longbow camp for all the reasons mentioned but the recurve is faster at the same weight. Pluses and minuses all around. Even with the hybrids-not necessarily the best of both worlds.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Well, Byron Ferguson says the longbow is more forgiving. I have seen him shoot, both in person and on television. I am not going to argue with him!

Personally, I like the quieter shot, lighter weight, and general feel of the longbow. I am down to two recurves: one I built in 9th grade shop class (glass and maple lams with a walnut riser) and a Bear Black Bear. The one I built will be with me as long is it holds together (40 years now). The Black Bear is my fishing bow.

For hunting, I'm addicted to longbows.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Heh - I've seen / heard respected longbowmen (Ferguson, Hill) claim that it's more forgiving and Hill claimed he wasn't talented enough to shoot a recurve.  I've seen respected recurve guys (Asbell) claim that the recurve is far more forgiving.

I suspect it may have something to do with what one prefers.

That being said, for me the chief advantage of a longbow is that I own a nice one.  On the other hand, my recurve is as dead as disco.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
I love longbows for being light in the hand, quieter, less worry about limb twisting, and easier to string/un-string if you do it a lot.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
The only thing I find harder with a longbow is bow arm control. The light weight makes mine want to wander during the draw. But when I control it, my Hill bows are way more forgiving of release errors than my recurves, and will stack the arrows in there touching! Some people can but I cannot get the same consistent accuracy with a recurve. Give me a Hill style bow and a backquiver full of woodies and I'm a happy guy!

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
I agree with a lot that has been said above. I like longbows, particularly D-bows because of their lighter overall mass weight. The only real hunting advantage I can see though is that for me they seem to point quicker at moving targets like bunnies.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
I have and shoot both but just like flintlock rifles I find myself drawn to the simpler longbow. But all are good. Shoot what you like or at least shoot what looks cool !
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I like the longbow(70" in my case) because i have NO finger pinch shooting with a glove. I don't like tabs or gizmos for hunting. the smoothness i can shoot all i want without any shoulder issues. a minor draw length varience has almost no (none for me) trajectory effect. I find it a pleasure to shoot. I find my recurve a workout to shoot.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
A couple of you have mentioned that the longbow is easier on the shoulder than a recurve. Could someone explain this to me if both bows are putting the same weight on your shoulder.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
One thing I notice and I shoot hundreds of bows / year,  Is once you get good with a longbow a recurve is no problem.  It does make one a better, at least more consistant shooter.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
One advantage of a longbow over a recurve is that a longbow is generally easier to build.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©