3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dealing with Hodgkins  (Read 452 times)

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
Dealing with Hodgkins
« on: November 25, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
I've just been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and I'll deal with it, but I have one concern directly related to bow shooting.

To ease my treatment, I'm having a port put into my arm.  The Doctor doesn't really have an answer about shooting with this in my arm.

Anybody out there dealt with this and what did you do?
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dealing with Hodgkins
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
David, I have no exsperience with this but want to wish you a speedy recovery. With todays technology they can cure just about anything. Good luck and stay strong.
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Offline pale bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm not a doctor, but my first questions would be..
What part of what arm is it in?
Does the port have any risk of getting hit?
Is it in one of the more or less stressed parts of your arm during shooting.
Discuss these with your doctor as hitting the port or intense pressure aren't good on it.
Best of luck and God Bless
And God was with the lad, and he grew. And he dwelt in the wilderness, and became, as he grew up, an archer. Genesis 21:20

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
You my friend display the heart of a warrior and I wish you well.  Shoot, you'll know what your limits are as go along.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
David,

Been there, done that.  Diagnosed with Hodgkin's, Stage IIIB in 1990.  Finished chemo in 1991.  Been in remission ever since.  

My wife was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma four years ago.  She had a port like the one you describe.  She said she wouldn't recommend shooting with the port, assuming it's the type she had, a PICC line.  More info on PICC's can be found here

http://www.cpmc.org/learning/documents/nur-piccline-ws.html  

Best of luck to you.  PM me if you have any further questions, I'd be glad to help any way I can.

Steve

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
PICC lines are very durable you should have no problem shooting. Have them place it in your bow arm to limit motion and maximize comfort.

PS I was a ICU nurse for 8 years. And My x wife had non Hodgkin's lymphoma and a PICC line in her left arm so she could shoot handguns and paint.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks all, you've given me what I need to ask good questions and figure this out.  I think talking this over with the Doc I'll be able to work this out and shoot.
Dave

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »
All the best to you. I hope you can work it out so that you can shoot, and even hunt. Prayers and best wishes for a full recovery.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 01:22:00 AM »
God Bless ya, bartcanoe. Hang in there and we'll congratulate you defeating the disease in no time.  :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,
 Dave
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
My father in-law has one. He doesn't shoot archery though. They are pretty durable as I understand it. But they also can move. I wish I could tell you either way, but I can't.

I'm not sure you would want it on your bow arm though as mentioned.

Is it possible to get it on your neck? Seriously.

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Bart, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. A friend of mine is a double cancer survivor of hodgkins and kidney cancer at the same time. He had a port aswell and I think it was in his arm pit but not sure. From his experience the best cure for this is a positive outlook on the siuation. If you'd like to talk with him I could put you in contact. Best of luck to you and prayers will be sent for your speedy recovery. SKippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Prayers for your healing
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
My Mom had a port in her chest just below the collar bone. It seems that this would in no way interfere with your shooting. I too have had cancer but did not have to have a port. I have been free and clear for 6 yrs now. Best wishes for you, fight like Hell, we'll all be right here with you.
                -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline rbaustin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Just Damn! I have a port cathater in my chest wall for chemo. Had my choice of arm or chest, doc said no archery, weights etc if in arm so decided on portin chest.......I am able to shoot bow with out problems, but it stopped my surfing and rifle shooting( too close to shoulder).

Prayers to you and your family, I have stage 4 colon cancer, but have been cancer free for the last year..........KICK IT'S ASS!!
Shoot straight and tell the truth

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
I had the chest port put into today.  Doc said no problems shooting a bow with it after a week for it to heal completely.  

Thanks for all the encouragement, I will beat this.
Dave

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
Take care of the Hodgkins.. Then get on with your life..
Damn Nice guy

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
Good luck.  I was wondering why they went with the PICC line.  Most people with a chest port have no trouble with activity.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »
Great news - first of many good reports I hope.

Steve

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
David,

I am currently at MD Anderson Cancer Center for my 2 year scans and exams following treatment for stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma in my throat and neck. Hodgkins is not a walk in the park, but your odds are a whole lot better than mine, and I am still alive and "cancer free" (unless my doctor tells me differently tomorrow) after my treatment. I hate that you have to go through everything that lies ahead of you, but you can and probably will beat the cancer if you go at it aggressively. I'm not sure you will feel like shooting for awhile after you get into your treatment. I was in bed most of the time for half a year, but I don't think your treatment will be nearly as bad. My wife's grandmother was 95 when she was treated for stage 4 Hodgkins and now she is 102, cancer free, and going strong. Best wishes and God bless you.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pale bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
I wish the the best for you on your recovery, and your shooting. You will be in me and my wife's prayers.
And God was with the lad, and he grew. And he dwelt in the wilderness, and became, as he grew up, an archer. Genesis 21:20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©