3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tusker broadheads  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
Tusker broadheads
« on: March 05, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
What's your thoughts? The price is right.

Thanks

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tusker broadheads
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Dave White at Cajun Archery swears by them.  He is also a distributer.  I am thinking about giving them a try.
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
read an article that they are reaaaaaal tough,
and that they r great for small game hunting,
then again, wat isn't!?
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
Hey guys...these are tough broadheads...check out Pete Ward's review on them at  www.peteward.com  . When I got them, my buddy and I tested them on a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate.
Sharpened or unsharpened, they penetrated the plate with no ill effects. We were shooting a 55# longbow at 7 yards with a 100gr steel bhead adapter and 100gr brass insert to get as much weight as possible. They are easy to sharpen and keep sharp.  :readit:

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
I bought a dozen of them and think they are the worst BH's I've ever had. The metal on them is way,way to soft. Reminds me more of Tin then it does Steel. But, if'n you want a good small game head ... the price is right... That's all I ever would use them for myself.... I found that the last half or more is a single layer of metal and with just 2 fingers I could bend it easily.
I really hate to post something this negitive but they really are awful and shouldn't be shot at any large game IMHO.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
i WAS thinkin about tryin them this year, but i dont know....
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
String Cutter which model did you have???  Did you use excessive flame to heat them to mount with hot melt glue and possible ruin the temper?  I have played with some, and they are HARD STEEL.  Maybe you got a bad batch too.  Most of the guys hunting with them are hunting MUCH BIGGER stuff than we do in the US.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Brian, I got the ones with the long pointy nose. Can't remember the name.  And I've bent them new out of the bag. I just think they're made of crappy metal. And the makers need to rethink their design. Close to an inch of the front is nothing but a thin piece of metal and I believe subject to bending with no other support. As for some guys shooting trough bricks and engine blocks???? Mine have even bent while shooting my 3d deer target..... You get what you pay for. A BH is no place to cut corners... It's the most important thing for a fast clean kill.
Again, I don't want to make anyone mad but they are awful BH's except for small game.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Tuskers are made from spring steel. I have been shooting them for a few years along with Silver flames, Ace, and many other brands. My top choice Tusker is the Aztec. These are very tough and strong. I took an Elk in the spine with one, burried it to the shaft in solid bone. Had to use Vice grips to get it out and it was still just fine.
 I have shot them thru several moose bones with no ill efects. For small game like grouse they are also very good and these ones get some serious rock hits and come out on top.

I think that you will find that any Hill style long nose head like the Concord is not known for keeping the tip as well as conventional designs. {See the Asby reports on long nose heads.}
 Nothing is indestructible, however with the choices I have to shoot the tuskers are one of the heads I use very often.

If you bent a broadhead of any design on a foam target, you need to pull out the lost steel points in it.
 They are not pretty, or sharp when you buy them but they are tough.
We need to remember these are broadheads , like all other brands, meant to shoot thru flesh and small bones like ribs.

My pick from Tusker is the Aztec, folowed by the
 Delta on the higher performing bows and the little Spirit in the Selfbows and lower poundage bows.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
Hi fellas , I use the Tuskers and they arent soft by any means . Most of us that use them , put a chisel point on them , because as you know , anything with a realy fine point on it is going to bend .
 They take a lot of pigs , Deer , Goats etc over here and I havent heard of any complaints .

Maybe you just got a batch that slipped through the cracks Stringcutter    ;)

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
My buddy shot a ram with one in Hawaii and it came out looking like a boomerang.  I wasn't impressed.

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Ahh but he got the Ram didnt he    ;)

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »
I've used them a few times.
They were originaly Davies Broadheads.
I guess somebody thought they needed a goofy name to sell well in the USA.
Anyway Their a good all round head "good steel too"
The only complaint I've ever had is that they don't fit an 11/32 shaft properly.
Given a "LOT" of people have mentioned the same issue for at lest the last 20 years,and their are so many as good if not better American broadheads,I no longer bother with them.

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 06:18:00 AM »
the magazine ads say that tuskers were used to kill a lot of asian water buffalos.
Apart from the aztec model though, I would not be brave enough to go after big game with them!
They just look so weak n the front end.
I haven't shot them yet, so please correct me when I'm wrong.
I'll guess I'll stick to my Ribteks...Strong, easy to sharpen, and cheap   :wavey:
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by John57:

They were originaly Davies Broadheads.
I guess somebody thought they needed a goofy name to sell well in the USA.

"[dntthnk]"   No , the name change was due to the new owner wanting the same name as his Production company  ,, he also makes hunting DVDS     ;)

Offline Tusker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Tusker Broadheads, formally Davies Broadheads were designed and made by Allen Davies he started in 1964, I took over in 2000 and changed the name to my existing trading name Tusker.
I don't profess them to be the best head in the world our aim since there inception is to make a strong, reliable cost effective broadhead for all Bowhunters.
It has been distributed in the US by Cajun Archery for about 18 months now.
The only weak link I think was the Concorde, it is the long narrow head (great for penetration)
All the 5 heads blade thickness are .9mm, to rectify any problem with the Concorde I started to make there blades out of 1.2mm material(40%thicker)these heads have only been available for about 6 months now the original prototypes were used to take 2 Bull Buffalo by Dave White and myself in late 2005.
If you like String Cutter and Stev.H seeing you have had experience with my heads I will send you a couple to check out and test, then let me know what you think of the Concorde.
Please email me and I will get it organized.

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Good on ya John  :thumbsup:  Here is a manufacturer that is standing up behind his product...that is why the Tusker line is gaining popularity...excellent product at an excellent price. My hat is off to you John  :clapper:

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
John, I would be honored to give them a test drive. Got some ash arrows with their name all over them. Course I ain't got no Cap buff, or elephants around here to test them on. But I think I can come up with something interesting . And compare them to other more costly BH while I'm doing it.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer John.  A "mate" and I hunted on Hawaii last March and we collectively had a bout 10 different broadheads between us.  I don't recall where he said he got his Tuskers.  If you send some I'll make sure and try and get a couple to him.  I prefer bigger and heavier if there is a choice.  Thanks again.

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
Yeah,good on ya'John,
But they still don't fit an 11/32 shaft properly.
I bought a dozen Deltas mail order from NZAP last year in the hope you'd addressed this after Glens comments.
We don't all shoot 5/16 and somebody shooting 23/64 would be real upset if they'd bought em' mailorder without knowing the ferrules too short.
It's the only problem with what could/should be a great head.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©