3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Swept wing recurve???? Pic's added  (Read 414 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Swept wing recurve???? Pic's added
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
I found a bow for sale that is a "Swept Wing" recurve.  Pretty unique looking.  No "Wing archery" logo so I don't think it is a Wing bow.  Did a bunch of google searches and came up with nothing conclusive.  There was mention of a Howatt swept wing design and the bow looks kinda like a Howatt High Speed or Super Diablo in someways.  Fancy thumb rest like a Fedora too.  The bow is supposed to be 30+ years old and is in great shape.  It's 69" long with white glass limbs.  Also says "Richard" on the lower limb but don't know if that is an owner or maker.  Google got some hits from Texas archery sites mentioning a sweptwing recurve but I got the impression they were all newer bows of current production and this one is pretty old...

Did Wing or Bob Lee ever make a "Swept Wing" model?

Just looking for info.  Sorry, no pictures available.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline osiristheclown

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Swept wing recurve???? Pic's added
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 02:33:00 AM »
Are you sure it isn't Swift Wing? Wing made a model called that in the early 70's.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 03:14:00 AM »
Nope, definitely Swept Wing.  I think the Swift is what made me think of wing bows but this one is swept wing....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »
Dave I could be wrong on this,but that may have been a Sanders or Saunders Swept Wing.I will check today and see if I saved the notes on them.Would you by chance have a pic or two to show ? bowdoc

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
There was a guy making the bow you are talking about, I believe from Texas. I dont know if he still does them. Pine hollow longbows/Mike Yancey once sold them and you might contact Mike for info.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline strummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
Yup they made in Houston Tx. Very good shooting bows. The guys that builds them is named Rick . I have had 3 of his bows. Sold two of them on here. They are a fast quite bow. He don't have a web site or when I ordered mine he didn't. You can get a hold of him at Viking archery in Houston he works part time there

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
Strummer is correct maybe this will help, Sweptwing Pics

http://community.webshots.com/album/75565903QCHKwX

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Rick Erdman....Houston Tx...I haven't heard anything about him lately, so I'm not sure if he's still building bows or not.
Viking archery in Houston can tell you, and possibly put you in touch with him.
Rick's bows at one time had a huge following in Texas....nice guy that was building nice bows....much like Palmer bows, and I think Rick worked with Palmer at some point.

Billy

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Nice, nice bows.  I met Rick at Cloverdale probably 10 years ago, and loved the way his bows looked and shot.  I would love to have purchased one, but the dollars didn't allow at the time.  A couple years later, I was sad to hear he had left the bow business.  

I think you'd like the way it shoots.  Good luck with it!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline granny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
They are made in Texas(Houston I believe) and are great bows. I have one. Rick Erdman is the bowyer and as far as i know he does not have a web site, just a photo blog showing his work.

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Rick Erdman is still making recurves though not at the speed that most wish he would.  He is also employeed at Viking Archery in Houston.
Rick's phone # 713-920-2299

He has not been in business for thirty years and does not make a 69" bow so I do not believe that you have one of Rick's.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
Well, thanks for the info guys but I think we may be barking up the wrong tree.  I found info on Rick and the current Swept Wing bows when I did my searches but they are nothing at all like the bow I'm talking about.  Also, this bow is over 30 years old and I don't believe the current Swept Wing bows have been around anywhere near that long.

Bowdoc, I think you may be on the right track.  Wasn't Saunders the guy who made the radical riser shaped overdraw recurves?
Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Ok, here are some pictures.

Full length pic

Right side of riser.

Grip and thumbrest.

Info on bow limb.

Close up of overlay on side of riser.

It's real low draw weight but at my 31 inch plus draw it would be medium weight and the length is there to handle it.  Plus, it's just a cool old bow and I'm always drawn to the unique stuff....

Whaddaya think?????
Dave

Offline strummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Billy, he did work for mike for a little while for mike . mike caught his hand in a lam grinder and helped him out for a while .

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
TTT for bowdoc
Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
TTT again...
Dave

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
Wow now thats a bow.She's a real looker huh?I will have to research this one a bit more.I recall the name of the manufacture.I just can't find any adds for thier bows yet.I do believe that bow was advertised in the 1960's maybe 65-66 Malibu Archery catalog.I iwll keep looking.bowdoc

Offline m'gobo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
There is a swept wing on texas bowhunter for sale right now. It is a take down model

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
That bow you show Dave, is different looking. The bottom limb looks alot different than the top, or is it my tired eyes?
   I just re-read a bunch f posts I missed so I edited mine.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©