3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Wool question....  (Read 543 times)

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Wool question....
« on: November 27, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Last weekend was gun season here at home.  We just got a new "super" walmart.  (There is absolutely nothing super about it.  I'm not one of the wal-mart haters...but there really is nothing super about his one.) I decided I'd go out with my pistol since landowners get free permits.  But all my good socks and glove/mits were in Murray.  So off to walmart I go at 11:30 at night.

Not a single pair of good glove/mits or gloves for that matter...and the most "wool" socks I could find in the whole store (hunting and clothing sections) where 15% wool 70-something% acrylic.

Decided to save my money and scrounge around the house.  

How much wool does wool need to be?
Micah 6:8

Offline Ron Haines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Wool question....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
It is really hard to say.  I use 2 different sock companies, only because the work for me.  I use Smartwool or UnderArmour socks.  Some of their socks are as high as 80% and some 38% with Olefin also.  Basically for me the wick foot moisture great for me.  I tend to have a sweaty foot, which can turn real cold if moisture is not moved fast.
Ron

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you.  My feet are sweaty enough, even when I just sit there, that goretex lined leather boots are an issue for me.  I don't think most people realize how much they DON'T let your feet breath...but when you got sweaty hoofs you notice real fast.

They are waterproof though, for now.

I probably would have bought some if they were 38%, as I realize 100% wool socks aren't the goal. But that got me thinking that I really have no clue "how much wool" to shop for.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I bought some at Wal-Mart this year that were (I think...I am not good with numbers)85% wool. I was amazed that they had them in my size, as it seems that they only get men's sizes in socks. They even had them in pink! I bought about four pairs.

Smartwool is good, and you can find wool Wigwam socks at surplus stores as well as the more froofy sporting goods stores.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
The old 100% wool socks were always a problem for me as they tended to itch and then there was the whole shrinkage problem...
80% or better blends work pretty well these days. Got some Cabela's socks and they are warm and comfortable in my uninsulated boots.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I have used the Cabelas thermamax socks. they arent cheap, but quality, warm socks. I've a few pairs for 4 years, and they are still like new.

I also have some 100% wool socks, I wear a thin polyproylene liner sock under them. Works fine.

Another tip if you are going to be hunting all day, carry a spare pair in your fanny pack, and change socks mid way trhrough the day.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
The Rocky brand merino wool socks that Wal Mart carries are almost identical to Smart Wool Expedition Treking socks with the difference being that the venting is in different spots.  Same fiber content and everything.  I use those now instead of Smartwool.  If you want really heavy however, Smartwool Mountaineering socks are the best out there.  You will pay for them though.  They are like 22 bucks a pair.

Riot

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Smartwool, widely available and real good quality. My answer for sweaty feet is Lavilin, available from Too Short.  Great at keeping the feet real dry, therefore, real warm. The Smartwool socks that I buy come with liner socks and this whole setup keeps things real comfy/dry/warm with a sock thickness that is closer to everyday sock wear. Boots fit in more situations(warm to cold) and this is working out better than expected.
"no sleep 'til 55"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
I started using underarmour wool socks this year after getting hot spots on my feet about 4 miles into 5 mile hike with a pack. After trying a pair I fell in love with them. No more hot spots and very comfortable then, when cold weather came they keep my feet warm even with uninsulated boots. I've gone back and bought three more pair, they're great.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 06:20:00 AM »
70% wool, 30% spandex, and 20% acrylic... hard to find, but worth it.

Kathy... the Walmart I shop at doesn't have mens sizes in pink. Bummer!!
  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »
Also a more serious comment... why would someone start a perfectly good thread on a traditional bowhunting site by saying, "I'm going gun hunting"?

It can make a moderator a little nuts!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
I had the same thought Charlie!  :readit:
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
I thought moderators were already a little nuts anyway...   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Thats a joke....I say a joke Son...

:bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Absolutely Ron! Why else would we do it?  :banghead:    :jumper:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
70% wool, 30% spandex, and 20% acrylic... hard to find, but worth it.

Kathy... the Walmart I shop at doesn't have mens sizes in pink. Bummer!!
   ;)  
What the heck?  Do they have an extra toe on each sock or something?

:bigsmyl:

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
It's 'new math' Kahn...  ;)  
I've been using a nonscented powder, along with the highest content wool socks I find ...Think I'm gonna hafta try some Smart Wool.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
About 8 years ago I found some wool socks at Sam's Club that were either 80 or 85% lambswool but were not heavy.  They were about the same thickness as a pair of gym socks and that is just what I was looking for.  Got them home and when I tried them on I was shocked!  I expected the usual kinda scratchy/itchy but bearable almost uncomfortable feel I'd always gotten with the usual super heavy knitted looking grey socks with the red toe and top I'd always used.  (Ever wonder why all the wool socks used to look like that?)  Well, let me tell ya what....these lambswool socks were flat out the MOST COMFORTABLE, LUXURIOUS FEELING socks I'd ever worn!!!!!  Made by Burlington.  Can't tell you what the other 15 or 20% material was and I don't care.  They were about $9 for a package of 4 and came in typical dress sock colors of grey, navy, brown and black all in one pack.  I totally quit wearing cotton socks ever since.  I wear the wool socks even in the summer unless I go without socks all together.  They lasted about 3 times longer than my cotton  socks used to last too!.  I still have some of the first ones I bought (had to darn a few holes on some) and like I said, I wear them year round.  I've bought some about every other year ever since since I liked them so much but the second year the wool % was down to 75%.  The 4th or 5th year it was down to 40 or 45% and that's still where it's at if you can find them.  Price had gone up to about $14 per 4 pack too.  Less wool, more money and even with less than 50% wool they still call them "wool socks" go figure huh?  Last year, the Sam's Club we go to didn't have them at all.  I still use them and they are still  super comfortable and warm  but I'd sure like to find another good quality lambswool sock in the 12 to 15 dollar per 4 pack range.  Most of the "sporting industry" wool socks run that much for ONE PAIR!!.  Oh yea, the other great thing about the Burlington wool socks.... I've NEVER had them fall down or the elastic go bad.  I detest stretchy/baggy socks that won't stay up.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Also a more serious comment... why would someone start a perfectly good thread on a traditional bowhunting site by saying, "I'm going gun hunting"?

It can make a moderator a little nuts!
Well, the deed was already done. In my defense I think the pistol is a little more "sporting"....and....I figured that wool was a pretty tradition material that traditional hunters would know about.

I do confess, but the "topic" is the wool...or lack there of.     :readit:  
Didn't mean to put the mods on guard. I'll try to keep my extra-traditional activities unspoken from now on.  
     :D

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 05:52:00 AM »
Thanks bud!! Appreciate you taking the comment so well. A short lesson for the rest of the gang.

:wavey:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©