3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what do you guys wear in 20 degree weather?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what do you guys wear in 20 degree weather?
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by riot1013:
I completely agree with you on the fact that no boot will keep you warm while motionless.  Like I said though, not a single instructor who taught the classes while I was there wore those boots. They all spent their own money on different boots. The boots will keep you warm.  But again there are better boots out there.  Keep in mind that the Mickey Mouse boots are 1950's technology.  That in itself is not a bad thing, do not get me wrong, I mean we are on a  Traditional Bowhunting  forum. Heck my Filson Cruiser was put on the market in 1914.  But there are better products out there.

Riot [/QB]
Hey Riot,

I won't pretend to be the the expert with the final word on this topic. I should have added that while I like the Mickey Mouse boots, they ain't perfect either. Indeed, those Mickey Mouse boots were originally developed for US Navy personel in Antarctica in the 1950's.

I am always open to learning new tricks.  So I'd like to hear your opinion on what boots you reckon are better as you clearly have some practical experience in this regard.

cheers mate

Robert

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
I wouldn't say practical by any means, and I am in no way professing an "expert" opinion.  I am merely professing MY opinion.  I just know that I have three bad toes now because of a combination of cold and those boots.  Like I said the boots that I use for really cold weather I didn't bother taking out today.  I wish I did.  But if you really want to know they are some Cabela's Predator Extreme boots.  If you were just being sarcastic (which I think you were), well they are still some Cabela's Predator Extreme boots.  I just feel they are better boots.  But like you said, it all comes down to what works for you.

If you want to talk about practical experiences,  I know that today my clothes, particularly my footwear, didn't work for me.  It has in the past which is why I asked the question in the first place.  Maybe I was dehydrated, maybe I had a circulation issue.  I know I probably had too much caffine.  Maybe I didn't get enough carbs this morning.  Those are all practical things I know. I also know from practical experience that I have a great disdain for Mickey Mouse boots.  You live in a place where you deal with cold for 3/4 of the year.  I am sure that your practical experiences have pointed out gear trends that work very well for you.  And also while I do appreciate people sharing their opinions as a means of answering my original question, I really do not appreciate the bantering and sarcasm because I happen to disagree with you about a pair of boots.

Riot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Hey Riot,

First off, I was not being sarcastic. My question was genuine and should be taken at face value. I was not trying to insult you and I was not trying to be sarcastic. If I left you with that impression, then I apologize. I am not that type of person.

I would never be so arrogant to believe that know everything there is to know about cold weather boots just because I live in a cold place. I am always open to learning new things from anyone who has something to offer, no matter where he hails from.

I was asking an honest question to a man who has used what I consider to be a good boot, has found them to be deficient and further, has found a type of boot which he feels is better.

I reckoned that I stood to learn something from someone else. Hence my question.

Again, if I came off sounding like a jerk, then I apologize. This was not my intention. My question was an honest one in an attempt to learn something new.

You'll have to take my word for it. Or not, I suppose.

Robert

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
Well my apologies Robert.  I guess I took it the wrong way...so I am sorry.  I have found that the Cabela's Predator Extreme to be the best boot for extreme cold for what I like in a boot.  Now, for what I like in a cold weather boot, most obviously...WARM.  This particular boot is the warmest boot I have used in the field to include high end mountaineering boots such as the Koflach Arctis Expe.  I also like my boots somewhat stiff, but not mountaineering stiff, and reasonably light.  I also like a good fit for snowshoeing.  I cannot speak of the durability of these boots as I just got them last year, but I think they will be less durable than the Mickey Mouse boots simply for the fact that the MM boots are all rubber.  They trump the MM boots in all other catagories however.  The only drawback to these boots is that they could use a roller lacing system to get good tension on the laces and they are big, bigger than MM boots.  But they are lighter and they really do not wear like a big boot.  At any rate I would gladly trade bulk for warmth anyday.  Cabela's also has a boot very similar to this boot with an attached gaiter that was designed for dog sled racing.  I know Jeff King uses these boots and loves them.  If choosing a boot from an operational standpoint I like the one that I have.  It is a really solid secure boot.  I would imagine it could prbably take a strap-on crampon as well.  I haven't tried this however as mine are step-in.  And again I apologize for taking your post the wrong way.

Riot

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
I can sit all day dressed with a couple of layers of underwear (one wicking, one wool), two wool sweaters, an insulated vest, my wool shirt/jac.  Same on bottom but just wool pants.

For feet:  LaCrosse Iceman (I think that is the name) are the best I have used.  Sit all day in freezing temps. They are a wool pac as well as insulated.  I love them.  A size larger with two pairs wool socks. . . good to go. Scarey cold brings out a couple of chem. toe warmers.

Other tricks that have worked well in extra cold:
1) Carry in an extra pair of XXXL polar fleece pants. Put them on over everything.  Blanket or simple fleece sleeping bag can work here.
2) Can not beat an insulated vest for loft without arms being bulky.
3) More than one wool hat and a head/face mask (ears cut out)
4) Chemical warmers in a sock hung around my neck using an old shoelace.  I put this down inside my wool sweaters and jacket.  Acts like a little heater.
5) Scarf or the like to cover your neck.  You can even put a chem. warmer in a neck gaitor- awesome.    
6) Chem warmers on the back/wrist of my gloves.

Hope that helps.  I hate the cold but can sit in 20s all day in this.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
wow Dan that is some great ideas.  Thanks for the info.

Riot

Offline M.A.FITZHUGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
Great topic. My suggestion is new (different) boots. Leather boots can be your worst enemy if they are not rated for low temps. There are arctic mukluk boots made for the military. I have seen some on **** or try army surplus. There is a great surplus store in Fairbanks Alaska that you can buy from as they are near the Army base (Ft. Wainwright). The boots have a felt booty insert, make sure you get them as well. The boots are worth their weight in gold! And they will keep your feet warm even during a long sitting spell in a blind. I will look up the surplus store's info and post it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
Hey Riot,

No problem mate. I felt bad that I may have sounded like a jerk. That's just not my style. Glad we could sort this one out and shake hands.

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into those boots.

cheers and stay warm

Robert

Offline M.A.FITZHUGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
BTW, I was stattioned and lived in Fairbanks Alaska for 6 years during the 6th ID Light Infantry tour. Light Fighter Academy had a -30 below class. Lotsa FUN!!!!!

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
Bakes...You are right on the money....Give me my Mickey Mouse boots(The white ones, not the black) and I can sit all day in any temperature with cozy feet. They are priceless!! Desperado

Offline M.A.FITZHUGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
The white Mickey boots are great too, but you must be disciplined about changing your socks as they WILL make your feet sweat. Also, keep the valve on the side CLOSED at all times. "DO NOT BLOW AIR INTO THEM". The moisture from your breath will stay in bladders and freeze. This defeats the whole purpose of the boot.

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »
I have tried everything for cold feet and nothing works...the more socks or heavier the boots the more my feet sweat leading to getting colder...I wear tennis shoes and 1 pair of regular socks...my feet get cold but they dont freeze because of to much sweat...I just tough it out and except the discomfort...Its weird because now I dont even think about my feet getting cold even though they are...the indians didnt have much on there feet either...PS...when I changed my socks on stand and that cold air hit my sweaty bare feet that just starts the freezing process quicker

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
Back when I would sit in a tree all day......I had an old sleeping bag that had been cut down to about 1/2 it's original size and resewn.I would wear uninsulated boots and medium weight socks to my stand and then slip the bag over my feet.Most the time I would even take my boots off and throw a hand warmer in.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
I didn't read all the responses so forgive me if someone all ready said this.

Your boots have to fit loose to have warm feet, tight boots = cold feet. Poor circulation due to tight boots is what causes cold feet. Now if you have poor circulation to your feet anyways I guess you are pretty much screwed.

I always wore Sorel pack boots and hunted and snowmobiled in temps as low as -30 and never had cold feet. One light/thin pair of silk socks and one thick wool pair. Then buy your boots big enough to be loose wearing the sock setup you have.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
Sorry, folks...I mistyped the link to the foot warmers I mentioned. Leave out the "s" in hotronics.....the link is  www.hotronic.com.

By the way, I am in total agreement about the sweaty foot thing and sitting still. In order to change sox and sometimes my base layer, which can also get sweaty, I carry in some plastic bags and put all the sweaty stuff in my backpack. I'm one of those lucky guys, who my doctor says has an efficient cooling system. I am very sensitive to over dressing and sweating too much. My solution is a back pack with extra clothing and plastic bags to put the "used" stuff in. You just need to get to your stand early enough so the commotion of changing doesn't disturb the area. I also use boot blankets on very cold and windy days. Together with the hotronic foot warmers I am totally comfortable and actaully am enjoying, for the first time, cold weather hunting.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Underarmor is worthless if you are not moving around and will make you colder not warmer if you're just sitting in a blind trying to be still. Compression fit means no air to insulate so think loose not tight. Same with your boots, loose is better. I wear a pair of non-cotten running socks and then light wool socks and my feet are nice and warm.
lll

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
I agree with ol' killinstuff above. Loose is better and wool is indispensable.  Don't get too close to the fire with Underarmor or it will become part of your epidermis.

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Another Mickey Mouse guy here. Just out of high school and green to frigid winter construction work in Iowa I bought my first pair in the early 70's. I noticed most of the construction guys I was working with were wearing these weird looking boots. When your feet are frooze and others dont seem to mention theres you ask why and listen. We had an Army Surplus store at the time so I bought a pair. They were stamped on back 1952 Korea. They lasted me about my first 10 working years of construction when I bought pair #2. I now own pair #3 and #4 but they dont get the work out the original Mickey's got  :) . I beleive it would be foolish to say there are not better boots out there. There probably is. These boots are work horses and my only point is I em not interested in buying multiple $200.00 boots for the chance of I might find something better.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Some of the warmest feet I ever had was when wearing high top running shoes with light and heavy wool socks.  They insulate and breathe, as long as they don't get wet.  Not one solution for everyone for sure, but you don't need to spend high dollars to keep warm, just adjust that setting between your ears and wear the right combinations.

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
Lavilin foot anti persperent= dry feet.Smartwool liner and wool socks(better yet Patagonia liner/sock combo... but$$$$) keeps feet dry. Loose fitting, but not huge boots that are fresh off the boot drier keeps feet warm.The amount of walk in to my stand will dictate the boots I wear, as does the amount of snow and wind. MM are good for the sit but for me are a pain to walk in. I have used Icemans and Sorels and if the liners are freshly dried they are decent. This for me is 10degrees to about -5. below that I do the same but bring boot blanketsand put them on before I feel even a little cool. Don't discount quality carb intake for cold sits. Bring some grub with you, and as with anything stay well hydrated. Remember Uncle Gene's idea of a hot water bottle to pee in, turn it into warmer as it is full. Last, I use a product called ThermaCare for the REALLY cold sits. They are basically chemical warmers that have an adheisive attached. They are about 10x4" and put on my neck or kidneys and keep me out all day. Good stuff!
"no sleep 'til 55"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©