3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what do you guys wear in 20 degree weather?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what do you guys wear in 20 degree weather?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Layering is the way to go.  These are the clothes I wear all season in a certain combination of layers.  Below 30, here's what I do.  Keep in mind this is for stand hunting, not on the move.

Upper

1- polypro t shirt
1- polypro light long sleeve shirt
1- polypro heavy weight thermal
1- Large Cabela's wool sweater
1- XL Cabela's wool sweater

If it's windy I put a Gamehide wind pullover overtop of everthing.  

This may sound like a lot of clothes, but they are all stretchable materials that fit very snug, but comfortable to my upper body.  I can't stand loose clothing while bowhunting.  Nothing I wear get's in the way of my bowstring and I stay comfortably warm and feel unrestricted in movement with this system.

Bottom

1- lightweight polypro
1- med weight polypro
1- heavy polypro
Pants - Cabela's microtex
If it's windy - I wear a pair of gamehide windproof pants instead of the microtex.

Feet

1- polypro light sock
1- polypro med sock
1- wool sock

Black micky mouse boots or 1200 gram Lacross.
My cold weather boots are 1/2 a size bigger and wide to allow for extra socks.  If your foot layering ends up being to tight, that cuts off circulation and you get cold feet no matter whats on them.

The Cabela's brand wool camo sweaters (without the windshear.... to noisy) are the best layering wool you can buy IMO.  Reasonbly priced to.  I can wash and block them and they turn out great.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline feve316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Big heavy pac boots suck to walk in get some KOM muklux and put them on when you get to your stand.I dont care how cold it is your feet wont get cold even with a pair of lacross burlys on. These have solved the problem for me on stand and I live in Iowa and it gets fridgid here! I have an extra pair I got for christmas last year I would part with..

Offline feve316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Alot of people on here talk about boots that keep you warm while moving, well that isnt your case. Anything will keep you warm while walking. Sitting on stand for 3 to 4 hours in 20 degree temps is another story. I have also tried the Mickys and my feet froze in them while sitting. But as soon as I walked 100 yards my feet were fine. I have a friend who can sit all day long in a pair of lacross Burleys ice fishing and it doesnt even phase him. I would freeze in them. Everyone is different. My feet get cold easy and I bowhunt almost everyday of the Iowa bow season. So in the cold temps I wear 1 pair of heavy smartwool socks, a pair of Cabelas 1000 gram leather boots which are easy to walk in, "not pacs", and  my KOM muklux which I just strap to my fanny pack. That way I climb into my stand, sit down, slip on the muklux and I'm done, they are quiet and warm. No taking my boots off and changing socks or throwing in foot warmers then lacing them  back up or taking off a pair I used to get to the stand and changing into a different pair and making a bunch of commotion and noise and fidgitting around and everything for 100 yards away is clued in on you, then pretty soon you dont see anything anymore then your wondering why? The least amount of messing around with things seems to always work the best for me. I like to keep it simple. I used to find myself dragging half my hunting wardrobe into the woods with me to try and stay warm, or "just in case". Morning Star has it together, quiet clothing and layers. Easy to move, easy to walk in, no noise, snug fit his feet stay warm easier than ours, he's good to go.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
I'll have to check out those Muklux.  Sound like the ticket.

The Mickey boots are definitely bulky when you have a long walk to stand or when you have to hang sticks/stand and hunt.  My only complaint.

You guys that have had poor luck with the Mickeys....did the air bladders work?  I know a big problem can be finding a used pair that hold air.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline M.A.FITZHUGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
On topic, I agree. Clean ,Over-layers , Loose and Dry is the best way to stay warm( believe it or not.) Think C.O.L.D. !

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
Dress for 20s?  We've had a few 20something days here this year (another scheduled for tomorrow) and I haven't even had on all my layers yet.  Give it time though.  :-D

For me, the torso gets a polypro undershirt, flannel shirt, a heavy wool sweater, Ron L's longhunter (with the hood -  it makes a *huge* difference) and maybe a filson Mackinaw wool vest over that while sitting (not for walking though, thanks - not in the 20s anyway).

The head gets a fleece balaclava and a nice, thick wool hat, and the hood if needed.

The legs get a pair of heavy polypro longjohns and a pair of cotton pants (I know - I have wool pants on my Christmas list).

The feet get a pair of heavy wool socks over polypro sock liners and unless it's really wet (in which case, I'm in rubber boots - brrrrr), a pair of cheep Wally World moccasin looking slippers w/ rubber soles.

The big change for me this year is that I wear almost none of that until I get to my stand.  Once there, I throw a chem heat pack in a bandanna for the back of my neck and a couple more between sock layers.  Add all that to a nice wool blanket for my legs and feet and I stay warm enough.

Oh yeah - a thermos of coffee is niiiiiiice.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Re: KOM Mukulux...

$321?!

Holy yikers.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Heater Body Suit. Dress comfortably for the walk in, slip it on and you're good from dawn 'til dark. Guaranteed or your money back.    :thumbsup:    

I perspire easily so it's the best thing I've found yet. No getting lathered up on my way in (or carrying a ton of extra clothes) warm and comfortable on stand, and still easy to shoot with it on. Not cheap, but pays for itself quickly in # of hours it will keep you out there.

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Morning Star:
I'll have to check out those Muklux.  Sound like the ticket.

The Mickey boots are definitely bulky when you have a long walk to stand or when you have to hang sticks/stand and hunt.  My only complaint.

You guys that have had poor luck with the Mickeys....did the air bladders work?  I know a big problem can be finding a used pair that hold air.
For my experience, I used the Navy issued MM boots, so I would hope the bladder worked.  I really do not know though.  They were used however.

Riot

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2008, 02:03:00 AM »
I have done a lot of ice fishing; and that is the ultimate of standing still or sitting for long periods of time in the cold with no protection from the wind.

One thing that helps keep your feet warm; is to buy a closed foam sleeping pad; and cut it big enough to make a 'doormat'. If you keep your feet on that; your insulated from the ground underneath.

You can cut another piece to sit on.

You can even cut out inserts for your boots with the foam.

wool- and a windbreak material are a great combo.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2008, 05:54:00 AM »
I start with a layer of mil issue brown heavy weight poly pros,then a pair of m-1951 field pants and a wool shirt,then top off Columbia Galatin range pants and shirt jac camo wool(LOVE them,and them camo blends excellent to the forests I hunt).Fleece balaclava,scent lock stocking cap,wool mittens with the slits in the palm to get your fingers out,and Irish setter buck tracker 1600 gram boots.Maybe toe/foot warmers.And a thermos of coffee....  :campfire:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Well I guess I'll jump in.
1. expedition weight polypro bottom/top
1. medium wieght wool bottom/top
1. fleece turtle neck
1. LL Bean wool hunting shirt
1. heavy fleece vest
1. LL Bean wool shirt jac
1. LL Bean wool pants
1. fleece half mask
1. fleece/wool watch cap
1. pair poly pro liner sock
1. heavy wool boot sock
1.pair wool glommits
1. pair Kamick pack boot 1 size larger
1. pair Artic shield boot booties
 I hunt exclusively on the groung prefering natural blinds. I carry a stool and use a seat cushion. Last year in my favorite spot, I sat all day for three days in a row. The temp never got above 6 and the low -3 with a 5-10 mph wind and I was toasty all day including my feet.(nut)
Rich Potter

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
Why... here in Wisconsin... it gets to 20 or so and the boys stop wearing shorts and a tank top to high school.    :bigsmyl:  

Brian's idea of the "Doormat" is right on.  In a blind you can wrap yourself in a blanket and wear less, so you can drop the blanket and maneuver to shoot a bit easier.

I am not a fan of underarmor.  Ilike things a bit loose and layered when it comes to cold weather gear.  My arms do not get cold very easily, so vests play a big role for me.  

A nice warm hat will help more than you might realize.
ChuckC
Chuck

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
I wish it was twenty degrees...It will maybe get back up there in four months or so ;*)

I spend a good part of my boring little life on the north side of the Arctic Circle. While I am fortunate to spend alot of that time in the KW, I do have to get out to deal with loads, mechanical issues, wrecks etc, while being constantly prepared to stay alive in an emergency.

Chalk me up as a firm believer in the MM boots.

Put a felt insole on the bottom and change socks at least once a day. Warm them up inside before you put them on or your feet will never generate enough heat to catch up. (Frozen bunny boots are torture!)

They are the one boot that you will consistantly see on the feet of the workers in Prudhoe Bay.

Keep the valve closed and NEVER blow air into them. The valve is to be opened ONLY when flying high altitude!

I have also had very good luck with the Steiger Mukluks and wear them constantly in the truck. Since they are breathable my feet just don't get all sweaty and therfore don't freeze solid when I step out at minus 55 to unload the tanker

When working trapline, varmint hunting, or taking extended journeys on the Snowmachine, the Bunny Boots are the only thing I would depend on, especially if there is a chance to get wet by getting stuck in overflow or dropping through a beaver run.

I laid around on a patch of ice for hours and hours a few years ago with both right leg bones blown out while I awaited a MedEvac. It was windy, wet, and cold and I was covered in frozen slush yet my feet stayed relatively warm.

Just my opinion.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Offline pipe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
I always wear a ThermoCare heat wrap around my lower back over my kideys. I get them at Walgreens.  Under the usual layers of long underwear and hunting outerwear.  I am no longer cold with the ThermoCare, even to below zero, up in the tree.
I have battery heated socks that keeps them from getting the usual cold after two hours in the stand.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
My 20 degree outfit, in a blind would be as follows:

a silk or polypro undershirt. Cabelas ECWS system, longjohns, shirt, socks, and stocking cap. Wool pants, Woolrich wool shirt, and a Filson single Mackinaw coat. Fingerless wool gloves, and uninsulated boots. If I were in a tree, I would include a Balaclava and maybe my wool boot blankets.

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Rodger...I concure with the Cabella's ECWS...my wife refers to them as my "second Skin"

It took me about three years to wear out my first pair, and I am talking day in, day out wear that starts in mid September and goes till ice out in late May. I keep em in my pack in the summer also as it gets a mite frisky out in the boats on our cold water. The comfort zone is the best part of them. I can wear them all day while driving (and the KW has got a GREAT heater!) and not overheat, then step out into a blow where the wind chill off the chart.

For those who may be interested in the same comfort range for the "feetsies", here is a link to Steiger Mukluks...they even have a pair of cammo ones this year!

http://www.mukluks.com/

My pair of Arctic Weathermates are entering thier sixth winter and going strong. Not too shabby considering the wear and tear that goes on while cutting wood, truckin, and hunting/trapping in the frozen north. I can wear them inside all day long like a cozy pair of slippers, step out the door at minus 20 and fire up the sled.

A good beaver fur trappers hat keeps the heat in on top.

Toasty is a good thing!   :campfire:  

My best to all,
Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Justin Charles undergarments,800 grm boots,wool fingerless gloves,turtle skin neck gaitor.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Make sure you got some wool up on top of your head too. You won't have warm toes and hands without preserving the heat from your head.  

I wear 3 thin layers of wool and put some insulated bibs and coat over them. Use wool gloves and socks too. Make sure you have a warm hat and if you STILL get cold use the toe warmers. I have stayed out 6 hours out in 3 degree temps with no worries that way.

You can also put the adhesive warmers for back pain on in REALLY cold weather. Do that under some coveralls and it is like sitting in a sauna even at 0 degrees.

-Charlie

Offline Mark Trego

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Filson Merino Wool long underwear
Long hunter wool shirt
Columbia Gallatin Wool pants
Columbia Gallatin Wool coat
Smart Wool socks
LaCrosse Insulated boots
Wool Stormy Kromer
" It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©