3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you measure a bows length amo?  (Read 300 times)

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you measure a bows length amo?
« on: November 27, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Hope this isn't a silly question but I have a takedown, how do I know how long it is, do I measure from the tip to tip braced or unbraced? if its suppose to be a 64" amo td. It is the same length as my 62" one piece recurve and am affraid its not a 64" td?
Thanks

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you measure a bows length amo?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
You follow the curve of the limb from the string nocks to the riser fadeouts then a straight line to the other fadeout and follow the curve of the other limb to it's string nock.

At least that's what I've always been told.

If your new bow has more curve in the limbs than the old one they could both be the same length tip to tip unstrung.  

For example, I have a 66 inch longbow that is about the most I can shoot out of my ground blind without haveing to be super careful.  I also have a 68 inch recurve and it's actually shorter than the longbow when unstrung...
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the information. Happy turkey day

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
Never heard that way Brandon but it makes sense from a mass produced, standardized viewpoint.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:04:00 AM »

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
Prior to those modern AMO standards you link to Brandon, the old bowyers used the measurement that Dave talks about.  You measured from nock to nock across the belly of the bow.  The bow braces on the belly side.  Most everything you see now in print has been abridged and changed to suit modern bows and to kind of dumb-down the information to make it more understandable I suppose.  

I'm the kind of person who likes the old measurements:  Draw length....to back of bow.   Bow weight...weight of bow drawn with arrow head to back of bow. Bow length....measurement from string nock to string nock across belly of bow. Simple, accurate,  effective and non-ambiguous.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©