3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big bucks and bare patches on there shoulders.  (Read 662 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Big bucks and bare patches on there shoulders.
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
I think it's from fighting and licking branches at scrapes.

I don't see it on the smaller bucks and I have picks of big bucks this year that were in great shape hair wise until the pre rut started and now they all have it.

Anybody else have a clue please let me know.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big bucks and bare patches on there shoulders.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Wow Tracy!! I've been wondering the same thing for the last few weeks. Wonder what that means.

I've never seen them do anything to cause it, but I don't typically see many (or any) really mature bucks.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Tracey,

I thought the same as you...I have heard from a few folks it is from ticks.  I'm not changing my story though; he was a fighter   ;)

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Always thought that it was from the horns raking their backs as they work the licking branches at scrapes...you dont see it on small bucks and anywhere near the deers haunch, hips, etc...
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
I know deer can develop them from going underneath barbedwire fences.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
I don't know either but some friends and I were watching some hunting videos the other day and almost every big buck had this and we were wondering the same thing. Never noticed it so much before. I figured it was from the fence the they were kept in LOL!!

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:26:00 AM »
I think it from going under fences also, my theory and I'm sticking to it  :)

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
Just haven't seen that many "big" bucks going "under" fences!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
I've never noticed the bald spots.

I watched a big buck go through a 5-strand barbwire fence once.  Never broke a wire but there was hair floating around for quite a while afterward.  I still don't know how he did it.

Dennis

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
I've wondered the same thing.  Every BIG buck on videos has the same hair patch missing.  I suspected it was from fence crossings... surely someone has first hand knowledge of how it happens.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
I saw an odd video the other day that showed bucks were lying in a scrape on there backs rolling like a dog in a cow pie. This behavior hadn't been documented previously.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
It is gang signs. Since they don't wear hats, they resort to this...

Be careful out there.
ChuckC

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eric Krewson:
I saw an odd video the other day that showed bucks were lying in a scrape on there backs rolling like a dog in a cow pie. This behavior hadn't been documented previously.
This wasn't at Ken's (adkmountainken) scrape was it?    :bigsmyl:  

We tried to tell him peeing in the scape was going to do some weird things to the wildlife.

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
In one of the HS Strut Whitetail videos from a few years back it has a scene of a 135-140 class buck goning under a fence and the bare spot occurs right on tape.  It is a Wisconson hunt and the hunter calls the buck acrossed a field then shoots it after it crosses under a fence coming to him.

I vote for the fence causation on this one.

Good hunting,
Charles
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
I watched a 170 class do it on a dead run-- on video.  He turned his head to the right, dropped the left antler under, then leaned his head right some more and pulled the right one under.  It's not like his headgear didn't make contact with the fence, but he hardly had to slow down. Amazing stuff!

Everybody Limbo!    :jumper:
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's mostly from fighting, I went back through a couple dozen picks of big bucks working scrapes last night after I posted. Most of the big bucks racks are clearly off of there backs while using the licking branches but I'm sure it depends on the level of the branch's.

As for fences, The bare spots are mostly on the sides of there shoulders and some times all the way down to there brisket. Sometimes I have seen it bare on top also but the sides are bare too.

Last year I was able to watch 2 big bucks in a all out fight up close and let me tell you it was vicious, There was hair on all the walnut trees around the fight area and it looked like a rototiller had gone through when they were done.

What I noticed was that there heads were down almost on the ground most of the time and that there racks were pointing up and back. Even if there racks weren't touching there shoulders the other bucks tines were at times, I think maybe that's part of it.

Eric, Years ago at this same place the land owners dog would come through and roll in some of the scrapes and then pee in em but I have never seen a buck do that, Pretty cool. Wasn't Ken's dogs either.  :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
You didn't happen to see one  Ohio buck with  a patch about 1 1/4" wide shaved off the top of its shoulders have ya??   ;)   If so...........it's mine! Don;t touch it----I still got 2 months for another crack at him>   :bigsmyl:    :archer:

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
The 7 I got on Nov 2nd had a 2x3" patch shaved clean between the shoulder blades.  He was a two and a half year old.  Still have the hide in the freezer if you all want to compare'em  ;)
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
I've never seen a buck in the early season have these type of bald patches. It seems like they show up during the rut.

I agree with Tracy that it has to be from some sort of fighting. Just not sure how it happens?

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
I agree with Chris' logic. . . why not other times of year with fences?   I go with fighting. . . I sure have observed some wierd hide tatoos as well.  I also think it is more prevalent where more mature/larger rack deer are found.  I saw one 2 year old with a racing stripe starting between the shoulder blades and right down his back.  Looked sore and funny.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©