3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dead deer...  (Read 274 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Dead deer...
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
How long can I wait to skin and flesh a white tail hide (hair on) in 40 degree weather if I want to tan a good wall hanging hide?

Also, besides eating them and using the hide, in what ways can I make the most of a deer?

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dead deer...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
The hide will probably last as long as the meat.Personally,if I want to keep a hide,I don't try to find out how long I can let it go,but I get right on it and get it done.Technically the spoiling process begins at time of death.If I am going through the expense of tanning something,I don't want to risk getting a hide back with bare spots.Therefore I always err on the side of caution and get the hide off fresh,flesh it and get it salted.You can skin a deer in an hour or often,a lot less.Like I say,you do have some time but if you want to be absolutely safe,do it fresh.I'm sure a day won't hurt but don't push it too far.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
I'd probably get it off as soon as possible. Or at least pack the body cavity with ice bags or frozen jugs of water.

You can use the brains for tanning the hide (if you want to go that route), european mount for the head if its a buck, sinew for bow backing or trading to others who could use it, feet for making bow and gun racks.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
There's a book titled "Making the Most of Your Deer" that explains alot of projects too..like soap and other stuff.

Meaning to get the book for awhile now for the same reason but haven't gotten around to it.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
40 degrees or LESS ide get on it within 24 hours
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
You can order "Making The Most of Your Deer" from Kustom King. EXCELLENT book.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
if the inside of the deer are out; and that includes the windpipe; then hanging the deer with the hide on- can be a preferable method.

With the hide off; the outer layer of meat starts to dry and harden; and then that has to be trimmed off. Your dog might love you for it; but its time consuming and its really not nessesary.

AS LONG as you get that deer down to the 40 degrees or lower FAST. When you say 40 degree weather; do you mean 40 in the day or night?

I have often let deer hang in freezing weather at night; and 40s in the day for over a week; and the meat is fantastic--- even if I left the skin on until I started to get to butchering it.

If your talking 40 at night and 50 in the day- well then your not talking weather that is suitable for letting a deer hang without the threat of spoiling it.

at 32 it freezes; at 40 the meat will slowly breakdown but not spoil over a week or so with the skin on or off.

But to get the most meat- leave the skin on until your ready to butcher it - well unless perhaps your caping it out for the taxidermist.

just my humble opinion based on butchering hundred and hundreds of deer.......
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©