3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to stop the "Pluck"  (Read 2943 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to stop the "Pluck"
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Shawn is correct if your arrows are too stiff.....and back tension MAY fix that as well.  Proper back tension may increase your draw a tad, and also make your form and release more forgiving to allow you a broader range of spine and head weights.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Terry,
You and Shawn are right, my arrows are a little on the stiff side.  The 125gr points are field points.  When I bare shafted my arrows I went just a tad stiff, because I add 40 grains on my hunting arrows.  That 40 grains seems to be the ticket.  Broadheads fly out of my bow better than field points.  Tonight when I went out to shoot, I really tried to focus on a lot of the things that were said here.  The back tension seemed to help the most.
Thanks for the help,
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Aaron Proffitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Orton:
Tim,
The French thought they had a technique for stopping the English from Plucking Yew,,,,allow me to explain the story.

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw
the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of  fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

Is this gesture still an appropriate salute to the French today?  Well, that's a matter of your own political views and I shant comment further.  But in the immortal words of Paul Harvey, "And now you know the rest of the story.... about the History of the Middle Finger".

:thumbsup:  
This brought tears to my eyes....welll done on the history.
"First thing we do,let's kill all the lawyers".
Shakespeare Henry VI, Part 2

Does an agnostic,dyslexic,insomniac lie awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog ?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©