3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to stop the "Pluck"  (Read 2944 times)

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How to stop the "Pluck"
« on: January 02, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Got a problem, I have a plucking (the string) problem.  It just dawned on me that this one could go ugly in a heartbeat.  Back to the problem, it doesn't happen all the time, but when I get to doing it I can't figure out how to stop doing it.  I shoot with a Black Widow tab, split finger.  Shooting a Bear's Paw 58" longbow, 58# at 27",  I draw just over 25".  Arrows, Beman's max 4's 400's with 125gr points.
Thanks,
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to stop the "Pluck"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Depends on your release.. I used to have the same problem and changed to a dead hand release.  By maintaing contact with my face after release (I usually "mark" it with my thumb) This simply ensures that i havent gone away to the right or left ive stayed inline with the string.  That was my solution and it hasnt come back yet.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
Dustin makes a good point there...Although alot of times archers just "hold" their bow out there without PUSHING it toward the target...Gotta Push with the bow hand and Pull with the string hand...If you choose to hold your anchor against your face you still gotta Push with the bow hand and keep pressure up within your anchor... :) ...

Go Get Em!!!  >>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Mike Orton

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Tim,
The French thought they had a technique for stopping the English from Plucking Yew,,,,allow me to explain the story.

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw
the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of  fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

Is this gesture still an appropriate salute to the French today?  Well, that's a matter of your own political views and I shant comment further.  But in the immortal words of Paul Harvey, "And now you know the rest of the story.... about the History of the Middle Finger".

:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
I had this problem now and then. i started bring my hand stright back and tuching my ear lobe. It worked for me
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Machakw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
Velcro on the the side of your face...

Offline PigStikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
I like a dead release as well, but I agree with MC too.  You have to continue to push with your bow arm and MAKE SURE to follow through.

Matt
Form and Focus

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the history lesson Mike! Now I can take pride in knowing the middle finger started with archery.   :goldtooth:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
Proper back tension ....all your energy going directly toward and away from the target....makes no difference if you use a 'dead' release or a 'pull through' release, proper alignment and back tension will solve a lot of shooting problems.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
I've evolved into a solution like Dustin's. I get a good deep hook with my fingers and pull my thumb back to open my hand on the draw. My anchor is not conciously on the old middle finger in the corner of the mouth but rather the thumb behind the jaw bone...which also brings my finger to the corner of the mouth as a byproduct. By keeping the base of my thumb behind my jaw and using more or less a dead hand release (with good back tension Terry!) I can keep from plucking or getting a floating release.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
I keep my drawing elbow in mind when I have problems with plucking.  As you maintain back tension, think about your drawing elbow going straight back when you release.  It seems to help me, the elbow going straight back, my release hand will follow sraight back.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
Usually when I pluck, it is because I am not bringing my draw elbow directly behind the arrow. If I'm directly behind using back tension, I usually will not pluck.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
get yourself up close to the target, just far enough so you can reach out and grab the arrow each time. close your eyes and shoot, visualizing the release and nothing else. You will stop plucking in short order.
When you find yourself doing such things, draw and hold a few times. Don't release. That way you take back control of the shot.
A lighter bow might help, if it  seems as if the shot is rushed.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
What TG said....

Back tension, back tension, back tension.  If you have it/use it, then it's not physically possible to "pluck" the string.
Otto

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Where all the advise above is sound and should be tried, it is my opion is the bow is just too light for you.
Especially once you get shooting and warmed up, the bow gets feels lighter.
Also, try shooting with a packback on with alil weight , like a heavier coat. It wil atleast improve any form issues.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Tim,
As big as you are, 25" seems like a really, really, short draw length.  I agree with Terry regarding the back tension; I can’t see you getting proper back tension drawing 25”.  You may want to check your form at full draw using video or with a knowledgeable instructor.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice, and espically to Jeremiah Johnson, up there (Mike) for the history, lesson.  I hope there is more.  
Kingtaken, I think that you are pretty close to right as I can hold the bow at my short full draw length for ever.  Or at least it seems that way at times.  
Thanks again,
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Hey Walt,
Didn't see your reply till after I had already posted.  Congrads on the kitty, way to go!  Even when I shot a compound bow I had a short draw length, just under 27".  I have tried to get more draw length, but everything I try puts my shooting in the toilet.  So I work with what I have and try to improve on that.
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
If you truly use back tension, you should not be able to pluck as the natural response to a release in pressure is for your arrow hand to travel backwards.
ChuckC

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
All good advice from above. I would also think those arrows a way too stiff for your set-up. If ya are shooting left which when ya pluck the string is the case, it could also be because of the stiff arrows. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©