3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A&H ACS or Widow PAX?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
A&H ACS or Widow PAX?
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
I've done a good bit of selling in the last few months in order to buy a new bow for X-Mas time.  I've narrowed the two choices down to a 58" Bocote ACS-CX or a 56" Tulipwood PAX Widow.  Price is very similar, and it seems that both bows have positive features I'm looking for.

The ACS is probably going to be the faster of the two (it'll be safe to assume that I won't find anything faster).  However, 56" seems to be my magic number with longbows/recurves and I don't know if A&H is offering the 56" limbs yet.  I would assume the A&H will be quieter, seeing as how it won't have the string slap of a recurve.  It would also be easier to take here and there because you could string/unstring it without a stringer.

The Widow would undoubtedly be better looking - I have yet to see a bow as spectacular as the Tulipwood Widow from last December's TBM, which got me interested in the PAX in the first place (JMHO).  Also, I can readily get the 56" length I prefer, and I like the Widow's reputation for smoothness and bombproof reliability.  I know Widows are fast as well, because a friend has a 56" SA3 which is VERY fast.

Any input on either of these bows would be much appreciated.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A&H ACS or Widow PAX?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
buy them both,then give me the one you don't like.  :)

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
Both really nice but I like the Widow for it's mass to keep my so so shooting in line. JMHO  :)

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
I have a PAX and I really like the way it shoots. It is not as light as my Widow Longbow (PLX in Birdseye Maple, which is also something you should check out), but much lighter than my PSAX. It is smooth, and as you said built to take what the outdoors can dish out! Some other bows may look similar, but upon inspection the difference is dramatic. Good luck!
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
I wanted to buy an A&H because of its incredible speed, but the(neutral) test of Blacky Schwarz shows that the Cx is only 3 fps faster than the PSA-Widow(with the same string)- - thats not enough speed gain to leave my widow.
I´m absolutely shure that the overall-package from BW is hard to beat- Forgiving, stable, very smooth and fast!
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
ACS, a little quicker, A LOT quieter.

Eric

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
I'm interested in the same two bows as well.

I LOVE that tulip wood PAX, but I've been thinking of adding a longbow to my stable, and recent talk of ACS-CX's has got me interested.....
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
I think it is a personal preference thing, and my personal preference is the ACS CX hands down.

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Zmonster, it's good to see that I wasn't the only one drawn in by that darn Tulipwood Widow ;-)

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
ACS CX hands down great shooting bow and quiet as a church mouse
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
I have an ACS/CX and a PSA V i have had the PSA for 2 and 1/2 years and the ACS for just under 1 year. I love them both, they are differant animals. For me the mass weight of the PSA makes it more forgiving than the ACS, with that said the ACS is my goto bow. I love the light weight and the way it points. Even though the PSA is more forgiving, when i do my part the ACS will drive nails.

Also the ACS has a flatter trajectory with the same arrow out of both bows.

I just switch from 46# limbs to 50# and have ordered a 6 strand D97 string, all for the ACS and cant wait to get it tuned to see how flat it will through a 600 grain arrow. I draw to 30 1/2 that puts it at about 58#
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
On BW speed I would like to chime in.I recently noticed that I didn't have the brace height right on a couple of my widows limbs sets, and that really affected performance. I have them at 8 1/8 and the speed really picked up. They seem to be more sensitive to that than long bows. I also use just one cat whisker at about 6 to 8 inches from each limb tip. The woollies are ok too. And they are screaming fast, and I doubt that when the black widow is tuned right, that there are bows that are a lot faster, maybe a little though.
With the first set of limbs I shot, later on I cut the spiders off the string and put the whiskers on and the bow went up a whole arrow size at the same length of arrow. I almost couldn't believe it, and I don't think there was much difference in sound.I also leave the whiskers long.
I have a near 30" draw with a recurve and I shoot SA III 60" limbs. I have a 36# pound set that I'm shooting 30" 2016 super slams like a dart off of.
So long story widows are pretty fast to.
I have some fast long bows too and I draw most of them shorter so it is harder to compare but they are nice because they are so light. I've never shot a ACS but I've heard about them and would love to try them out. I shoot pronghorns mainly and they are exceptional in the steady in the hand department and pretty fast too and inexpensive compared to these other bows were talking about.
I just bought a Morrison Dakota at 56# 58" and it is a fantastic bow, it seems to be as fast as my widows (it has carbon in the limbs)is very light and shoots very well with 700+ grain arrows. The rest on the Morrison is a marvel and the grip puts you in the same spot every time making it recurve accurate. I already love that bow.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline backwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Once you shoot that acs-cx ,looks will be the last thing on your mind.
 I have both and for me there is no comparison acs-cx all the way.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
2 great bows!!! double ur pleasure!! :)  LOL
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Big Al, I would be leery of stringing the ACS without a stringer.  The limbs are not as thick as most longbows and seem to be more prone to twisting.  They send a really nice stringer with the bow.  The ACS will be lighter, quieter and a touch faster.  It took me a while, but I am really liking mine, however, I needed another bow that was different and found a used PSAX.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that I'm more partial to a R/D longbow, but I've been shooting a Samick Stingray recurve lately and have really gotten the feel for it as well.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Al- both are top quality bows. I am considering the same question for myself. Very tough decision.
John

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Heck that's easy.  Get a hold of John and have him build ya a tulip wood ACX.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
When I shot the A&H ACS-CX it was fast and quiet.  I preferred the shape of the tips and riser on the A&H than the Widow I saw.

Jason

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Here's a collage of the Widow PAX that had me bewitched.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©