3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers... who's in?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers... who's in?
« on: November 29, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Hi all,

Well for some time now I've been looking in on the website of BackCountry Hunters and Anglers and I like there goals as well as what they put forward in regards to saving the back country for what it's ment for.... hunting and fishing and just enjoying the outdoors.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/index.php?link=main

Being an Aussie I'm not sure if I'd be able to sign up but the reason I like the idea of BCHA is that soon enough I plan to hunt the very country this organisation is try to keep clean and free for all.

That in my mind is worth the yearly cost of admission.

So ... whos with me and has already signed up, or planning to ?

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers... who's in?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
AK, I'm a newer member and been trying to do some recruiting in Michigan...

Great organization with a good cause.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
He Al I am a member. Good on you for trying to get some more members.

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
i am co-chair of the AK chapter.
still got growing pains, but we have been getting some attention, and our member base is growing.
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
I am a former national board member, and current co-chair of the CO chapter: ww.coloradobackcountryhunters.org.  Right now my eyes are blurry from vitamin E ointment for recent minor surgery, so please forgive typos and eccentricities. The last two years of the Traditional Bowhunters Expo (let's hope it returns!) in OR and ID, we had a booth and found traditional bowhunters --no surprise!--to be exceptionally receptive to our message, which is in a nut: keep our public lands backcountry unroaded, unmotorized, unspoiled, wild and challenging -- not only for those who can get there (I still do at 62, on foot, so not too much sympathy for the "If I can't get there on motorized wheels, sitting down, then I've been denied fair access" crowd), but also for the subtle but biologically important "trophy pump" effect of remote backcountry, where bulls and bucks find escape from roadside hunting pressure sufficient to realize their full maturity in antlers, then pass those winning genes along to future generations and, occassionally, even drift near a road where the Easy Chair gang can get a crack at 'em. And so on. We are all-volunteer, thus only as strong as our leaders and members in a given state. But geeze, we've got some dedicated folks and for a young and still-smallish group (we have members in 47 states and two other countries, but not huge numbers yet anywhere), we are bright on the radar screens of not only state but national elected officials. We have a voice and presence and make a difference far beyond our size, because we are the genuine boots-on-the-ground real American muscle-powered hunter-angler thing, and uncharacteristically more in love with the raw hard truths of life than with winning or raising money (rather like, again, trad bowhunters). While all of our best leaders and a growing number of dedicated members give freely of their time and energy and when they have it, money (not all at once necessarily, but it's all necessary and to each his/her own ability to contribute), a few of our folks are absolutely tenacious and utterly unselfish in their support of our causes, like our two AK chapter leaders, both bowhunters, HomerDave (who posted above) and Bushrat, the former, a pure subsistence hunter, trapper and fisherman from interior AK (30 years now!) who goes to the lengths of borrowing money when necessary and relying on likeminded bushpilot friends to get him out of the deep deep bush once or twice a year into Fairbanks to raise some holy hell with the state wildlife commission and the monopolistic big sportmen's group that wants everything easy and profitable as possible. And David Lien, my co-chair here in CO, also chairs the MN chapter and is working hard to get going a MI chapter, in addition to a demanding full-time job and at his own considerable expense. These are the true heroes of the American model of hunting, today and tomorrow, and more abused than celebrated for their efforts. For myself, I have never been a joiner -- except for the Marines (1968-1974) and BHA (life member). Sorry for the rant, Al and other friends, but your arrow of inquiry hit the center of my heart. Keep it wild! Keep it real! Kee it traditional American! Dave2old

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Al,

I am a 2 year member and have hosted the MO Wilderness Coalition, at an Outdoor event that I organized, they are working to get 7 new wilderness areas in Missouri. BCHA is a great group of people.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Mark Richards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Hey Al and others,

I'm co-chair of the Alaska chapter with Homerdave. BHA is indeed a great group of people trying to do good things for our hunting and angling traditions and heritage, the core message being more of an old-school conservation ethic and philosophy.

As state chapters form, each state faces a sometimes-different, sometimes-same array of issues, and what is great about the individual state chapters is it allows BHA to focus in more of a macro mode on specific places. This allows us to better work to conserve and protect those places in ways that are of a more long-term benefit to habitat, which means more sustainable and long term hunting and fishing opportunities for us all.

For those interested, you can check out the Alaska BHA Chapter here:
 http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org  

We welcome your support.

Offline Smellslikeskunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
I have been a member for a few years.  As soon as I heard of BCA I joined.  Most of us here in Montana are seeing our backcountry dissected by legal and illegal ATV routes.  The motorized recreationists are organized and well financed by the ATV industry.  For those of us that care about leaving some backcountry to our kids and hopefully their kids, it is time to help Backcountry Hunters and Anglers be as strong a collective force as possible.  Memberships and chapters nationwide and in Australia will help us keep and restore those areas important to wildlife and those of us who seek quality and solitude.  Thanks Al for your interest.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Thanks for all the heads up. From what I see things are looking grim on the ATV front... so it looks as though I will be sending my $$ to BCHA to lock away the wild places I've always dreamed of hunting.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
How many states have chapters in this organization?
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Mark,

"....(we have members in 47 states and two other countries, but not huge numbers yet anywhere)..."
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline RickH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
I too have been a member for a few years now. It's the one organization that believes in and fights for the same things I do. There are a lot of good people writing letters and putting a lot of voluntary time in for the preservation of roadless areas and for stopping motorized abuse of these areas. And as Dave said, state and national elected officials are listening. In the interest of hunters and anglers seeking solitude and silence in the backcountry BCHA is the best group going.
Rick
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
AL, I am also a member of BHA and I am continually impressed by their frontline efforts in protecting our nation's wild lands. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers combined with Trout Unlimited's Public Land Initiative are representing hunters and anglers in conservation efforts to protect wild, roadless habitat that is almost entirely public land. That alone speaks for me, the blue collar hunter who needs public land. If you love wild places and you want them to be protected for future generations, then BHA is worth being a member of. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
I joined BHA early on and continue to support and tout BHA goals whenever I get the chance. To Dave's " kkep it wild, keep it free" I would add "Keep it quiet, leave it alone". Great group, great message.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
As with most I only have so much I can donate to each year. I have considered this group on several occasions. After this past elk season with lazy "hunters" riding their ATV's on closed roads I am in.

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Hi from Spain,europe

I am one of the members from another country,always dreaming about future trips to bowhunt "the west"

Sorry for my english

Jorge

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
I joined the first year that BHA was formed. However, like others I can only afford to be a member of so many organizations. The truth is that I am already a member of several bowhunting and conservation organizations and something had to give. BHA was that "something" even though I certainly support everything the organization stands for.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
Not trying to pick a fight here, but what is the organization's stance on fly-ins?  It seems they are against OHVs (I assume that means 4-wheelers and bikes) but would that include bush planes?  I can't see any mention of planes for or against.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
This organization seems to promote things I believe in.  Maybe I should join, soon.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Mark -- Being all-volunteer (except for a part-time person who oversees and updates the membership roster monthly), state chapters are essentially the responsibility of members. No minimum number of members is required to form a chapter ... it only takes one or two who want to start working for our goals -- attending meetings, writing letters to editors and elected officials, commenting on forest plans (especially the current travel management revisions, which determine where ATVs will and won't be able to go in the immediate future), etc. Any member wanting to designate a state chapter needs only to contact Mike Beagle, national chair, via the website (www.backcountryhunters.org) for help. While our national group has a board of directors and all the usual formalities, our state chapters do not, thus are fairly independent so long as working withing our national guidelines. Only two chapters currently have websites -- CO and AK -- but others are active to one degree or another, including several western states, MN and MI. And we encourage individual members to study our issues and wade in on local issues as a BHA member. Our quarterly newsletter has just gone glossy -- a thin magazine -- with the goal of someday becoming a fist-rate hunting, fishing and conservation publication in its own right. We generally have a booth at the RMEF national in Reno, and were very well received at the last two TBM Expo West shows. While BHA is not a trad bowhunter's group per se, we are strongly represented in the ranks and esp. among life members, because -- needing and wanting wild, quiet, uncrowded country in order to hunt undisturbed animals -- we really feel the pinch when we lose it. Annual dues are $25, and almost all of it goes into our work. Active state chapters share a percentage of all memberships, and other support from national. Since we  need your support more than your money, we occassionally declare a new member special for $15, such as in the TBM ads (although it got left out this issue by oversight) and at shows. So, I hereby declare such a special for TradGang members who mention this thread. If you join via the website with a credit card, simply note in the comment box "TradGang new member $15 special" or somesuch. While I am very active in the group -- helped conceive the idea, a former national board member, current CO chapter co-chair and life member -- I in no way run the show so no worries about my "radicalism" or "elitism" leading the way. I personally rank a public lands backcountry elk hunt in the West on an adventure level with AK or Africa, and a whole lot cheaper. Sportsmen too are multiple users but in recent years we've had to fight harder and harder to retain our slice of the pie. That's really all BHA is about -- maintaining traditional, quiet-use, muscle-powered backcountry hunting and fishing opportunities on public lands ... not only for ourselves, but for my 6-year-old grandson and yours. What could be more American. Thanks, dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©