3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Right time, wrong place!  (Read 170 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Right time, wrong place!
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Last Weds. Laura and I went out to our 23 acre riverbottom only to find that the recent rain storms had the place flooded. The ground had already been frozen so the water just stayed on top. Laura's stand had seen a lot of activity and was higher and drier than mine so she went to her primary stand. My  site was very wet so I set the game cameras and went a hundred yards or so up the property line to my stand in a clump of hemlocks. There had not been a lot of activity there but there was a buck scrape and I also thought that given the amount of water on the property that day that Laura might have the best chance and the wind was such that if I stayed in my primary stand it could mess her up. When I came out at dark she said that my camera had flashed four times between 4:15 and 4:30. I quipped that with the way my luck was going this year it would definitely be one of "our" bucks....which, by the way, have been conspicuously gone for the last few weeks. Well, today we finally got back to the property to find that there had been a deer party. I was anxious to check the camera to see what had been there on Weds. during legal shooting light. We can hunt 1/2 hour after sunset, which was just about 4:15 last Weds. Well, here is what showed up. The interesting thing is that the flash makes it look way darker out than it really was. In relation to the camera the buck would have given me a perfect broadside shot from my treestand. Tonight, Laura  had him walk by her stand and he headed up towards me. I never saw or heard him. It's just the way the season is going this year. The deer just seem to be into another time zone or something....never where you want them to be during legal hunting hours, unless, of course, you are somewhere else.

There were a total of 57 pics on the camera and I was very happy to see my Alpha doe made it thru the firearms season. Currently only bucks are legal and I am out of doe tags so I'll be looking for  her next year. She's a good one.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline KY..Rob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Right time, wrong place!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Great pics! and that doe is fat as mud. Must be super Corn in the feeder.

Rob

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
That's bowhunting  :banghead:  Makes it real interesting don't it  :biglaugh:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
KY...actually the deer have had little to do with the corn. Rarely see them eating it in the pics we get but there are coons and porcupines in many of the pics. We have had lots of acorns and apples this year and the deer we see are really packing it on and they look really healthy.I have pics of this doe that go back three seasons. She's very smart. She came in on me one afternoon and was very tense. Walked around the place for a good half hour. By the time she was in a place I could shoot I was so tense that I did not have the confidence that I could make a good shot  so I let  her walk. I went home that night with a headache from that interaction. It is good to see her in the pics since I haven't seen her or gotten another pic since firearms started. I was afraid she had been shot.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©