3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A bow for Mom???  (Read 188 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
A bow for Mom???
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
This excited me, my mom has expressed great interest in shooting a recurve and possibly hunting with it.
I've got my mind set on a 40# Samick Red Stag one-piece for a Christmas gift for her. I like the bow because I've heard good things about Samick, it's inexpensive, and it's pretty good looking too with Rosewood in it.

The question is....Is 40# too heavy? She can draw my dads old 40# Black Bear just fine and I'm sure with some practice it wouldn't be any trouble at all. But she has not shot a trad bow much, or any bow for that matter. So would 40# be too heavy for her to learn on?
The other question is...If I went lighter, say 35#, so she could learn faster, would that still be a sufficient weight to kill a deer. I know thats enough weight to kill one but she would be a beginner and the main thing on both our parts would be confidence. I know I would not have as much confidence slinging an arrow at a deer with that light a bow.

Let me have it, what do you guys/gals think?

Thanks

Zack  :archer:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A bow for Mom???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
ttt
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
I'd have fallin' over in a faint if my mom had expressed an interest in just watching me shoot.

Doesn't sound like 40# is to much, from what you've stated, but having a weight in the 30-35# range will probably keep her shooting longer. Don't want to burn her out and not have her shooting at all.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Zach, get ther the bow you think will work for her.  If 40# is a little too much right now but you think she will be able to use it after some practice stop by (give me a call first) and I will loan her a lighter weight bow to use while she  gets used to shooting and works on her form. I have 3 or 4  25# to 35# she can use.

Jon

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Jon, that is a definite possibility. I think I'll get her a 40#er for x-mas, but don't let her know  :) .

Zack
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
What's her actual draw length? She may be drawing much less or even more than 40 depending on that.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Zach, I have plenty of wood and metal arrows for you to make her some arrows to shoot.  Anything for mom!!!!

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Zack,
Thats awesome,I was raised in a archery family and some of my best memories have been in the field with my mom.She is geting up there in years but still gets out with us.She was shooting 39#@27",but last year she had me build her a 35#@27".My wife shoots 38#@27" and my daughter shoots 35#@27".Both of them have had no proplem on even pig sized animales.The other thing to think about is if she can hold up to shooting all day at that bow weight a shoot.
Have fun!
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©