3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I missed!! is he gone forever???  (Read 231 times)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
I missed!! is he gone forever???
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
I had the best and worst hunt of my life today. This is a piece of private property I have permission to hunt but because Ive been at school I havnt been able to hunt it until this weekend. Friday was the first day I had hunted this place and so i still hunted found lots of good deer sign and on my way out 4 does busted me. I took note of where they were and figured out a good place to ambush them. So today i got there around three and made a makeshift ground blind overlooking a creek bottom. behind me was a large open field. Around 4:00 I look behind me and something catches my eye. it looks like a deer about 200 yards away in the woods on the other side of the field. at first i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me like they often do but soon realized that it was a deer and it had antlers!!! I have never even seen a buck while hunting so I was thrilled. so now how was I going to go all the way across an open field and get within longbow range. VERY SLOWLY. I belly crawled about 50yds when i looked up and saw the buck was feeding in the opposite direction of me and was going to disappear behind a small hill in the field. When he did I got up stayed low and walked really fast to the hill. It was getting dark quick so with an arrow knocked i made my way slowly up the hill the buck should be right at the top so my shot is going to be quick. I peeked over the top and there he was perfectly broadside 25yds away. A shot I could make but with one fluid motion i drew and released the arrow and it flew harmlessly under his chest he ran off into the woods but didnt snort. Im not going to be hunting there for 2weeks do you think Ill see him again?
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I missed!! is he gone forever???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
ps this was a very large buck i think an 8 pointer. I cant sleep all I can think is if only I had shot 6 inches higher i would be telling a much happier story.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:06:00 AM »
He'll still be around if nobody else gets him.  Can't really count on seeing him in the same spot, but he'll likely be in the area still.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
If that was the most pressure he has had on him this season, and your waiting two weeks to go back, if he isn't around there will be others. An area that has low pressure will be full of deer.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
I doubt he is gone. I missed a 130" deer twice in 4 days at under 20 yards and had him within 12 yards on another day. They can be kind of dumb sometimes.

Good luck

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Deer have fairly small core areas, and if that was his he will be around.  They will tolerate a lot of pressure and still won't leave.  

The cool thing about misses is that the memories burn bright for the rest of your life, sometimes even brighter than the ones that connect.  They are special moments - treasure it!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
Scott,

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!  I don't think you've spooked him out of the area.  Hopefully you'll get another crack at him.  Were you hunting with the Pinnacle I sold you?  Best of luck for the rest of the season!!!!     :coffee:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
He'll be somewhere so now you get to find him (also known as 'hunting').

:bigsmyl:  

You missed him - so what. You missed him cleanly and now you have a good area to hunt *and* a specific animal you want to take.  Sounds to me like you had a great day hunting and that you have set yourself up for more.  

Hey - if it makes you feel better, I missed a nice buck a few weeks ago at about 15-20 yards (was sitting cross-legged on the ground and my longbow's lower limb hit my pack and rattling bag which, for some reason I left on my LEFT side).  Here's a fresh rub not 20 yards from that spot...

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Jim(Kahn) is right! It gets even more fun from here on out! Now you know he is there and every leaf or snapping twig will get your attention. Go get 'em he won't be too far!

-Charlie

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
If you have the deer patterened you may be able to get another shot at him. Be patient and he will probably show back up again. He may be a little wiser but a shot just may present itself again.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys I feel a little better but that shot keeps replaying in my head. Sgrogg it is the Pinnacle you sold me its a great shooter when i do my part. Ive been hunting with it most of the season and im really happy with it. And look for a happy hunting story in a couple of weeks     :knothead:  

-Scott

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Good luck on the deer.....and the finals!!!

Offline pipe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
youwill have another shot at him and others.
Good huntimg to you.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Like every ones says don't sweat it, he will still be there.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©