3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boot Suggestions  (Read 477 times)

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Boot Suggestions
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
OK I am already planning for next year and I havent even finished this year. I am planning an elk and possibly if I get drawn moose hunt to Idaho for next Sept. I am looking for the best pair of boots I can find, I have hunted this area for whitetails for several years now but I think this is going to be a different type of hunt. This is going to be more walking and hiking instead of mostly sitting and waiting. I dont think I will need insulation this time of year but I dont know so if you think so let me know.

Some things I am looking for:
1. Comfort, lots of padding and can walk a long ways without killing my feet.
2. Waterproof.
3. Ankle support, need lots of this as I have really bad ankles.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I wont say money is no object but I am willing to spend money to save my feet and I am willing to spend money to get good quality and comfort. Some of you people who live in this type of country HELP please.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boot Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
For an uninsulated boot look at Bates M9. They are only about $140.00. Just type in Bates Boots and go to thier website. Best boot for the money in my opinion. Wear some wool socks and a pair of polypropolenes. That should keep your feet warm down to 50 deg.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Russell Moccasin Co. will custom make for you!  $$$$$

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Well 50 degrees is not going to get it in Idaho in September.  Most years we have temps in the teens.  I like the Cabela's elk boots with the 10" tops.  Jason and I both have had a pair for quite a few years now.  They are the most comfortable boot I have ever owned.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline aplehr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
danner boots are top of the line, made in usa.  i don't think they still make the model that i own, but their elk hunter line is very similar.  i've found that most boots that are heavily padded usually aren't very durable. they're very comfortable for a year - wolverine is a good example of this - and then they just fall apart.  redwing is another top quality boot made in usa, and maybe even a little more comfortable than danners, and just as durable.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Are you backpacking for elk or truck camping?
The amount of weight on your back could dictate your boot.

If I'm not mistaken, only certain models of Danner (Santiam) are made in the USA but that's not to say the other models aren't nice boots. The best thing about Danners is the availability to try them on locally before buying them.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Can't speak for Idaho, but I am welded to my Danner pronghorns.  You can get em in 400 gram insulation or 1000 gram.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
Asolo TP 535 all leather non goretex boot. Fits right out of the box.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Well 50 degrees is not going to get it in Idaho in September.  Most years we have temps in the teens.  I like the Cabela's elk boots with the 10" tops.  Jason and I both have had a pair for quite a few years now.  They are the most comfortable boot I have ever owned.

Mike
I never elk hunted and it shows. Teens in September is cold. But if you ever need an UNinsulated boot look at Bates.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Pruneemac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
If you want the best summer boots check out the Danner Jacyl. I have tried to wear them out on numerous hunting trips plus 4 67 mi. hikes up Mt.
Whitney and cant seem to do it

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
Danners here also.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I have also had good experience with Danners in the past, but my current elk hunting boots are Meindl's from Cabelas, and I like them even better.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mallardstacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I broke down last year and bought a pair of Lowa Tibet boots.  They are expensive, but worth EVERY penny IMO.  I use them for everything but they were designed more for backpack hunters (covering alot of vertical or mountainous terrain).  They have tons of ankle support and felt like I had been wearing them for yrs after about 4 hours of walking around the house.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
I've owned a lot of Danner's over the years and currently have a pair of uninsulated Pronghorns that I like.  Vasque also makes some very good hiking/hunting boots.  Temps in the teens are no problem for uninsulated boots as long as your feet are dry (waterproof liner) and you're moving occasionally, not stand hunting.

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Howzit Scott,

Right now I'm wearing a pair of Cabela's Full Draw boots. I like them because they're non insulated, water proof, light, and Vibram soled (soft)----good for stalking.

The only problem that I have with them is on lava. Lava loves to chew up boots--- any boots. I have hunted in them for the last six months and am thinking of ordering up another pair. Although six months may seem short, here in Hawaii I hunt almost every weekend. Most of it in lava/forest. For "me" they fit well while wearing double socks. On some hunts, I've managed to put eight plus miles on them in a day and my feet/legs felt fine the next day.
Forgot to mention that they are reasonably priced,'bout a hundred bucks.

Aloha,

Mark

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
danner jackel are waterproof and light as. and i am getting a pair as soon as i land in the states next year.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the input. I have a pair of Danners and really like them so I will probably look into a pair of uninsulated. We will be camping in the back country but will be able to set up camp from an ATV so all I will be packing is a daypack and my bow but we will be walking into our hunting area and covering a lot of ground.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I'll second the meindl's from cabelas. The wife and I both have them. Great boots!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Danners   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
If your on flat ground in Idaho; your probably on a road. You need ankle support - because half the time you will be walking on the side of a slope somewhere.
  I wore out a pair of kangaroo skin boots in one season - not the bottoms of the boots- but the sides.
  I would take whatever pair of boots you have broken in and are used too.
  It might be hot as heck here all September; and you might well wake up to a foot of snow.
  No way to tell that.
Me- I buy boots online; because there is no shoe store here. I buy 600 gram thinsulate for winter; and 500 gram for the rest of the year.
 'Waterproof' lasts a week here in rocky conditions - and you just cannot say where the elk will be; and what you will have to go through to get there.
  Spending top dollar for boots would be kinda foolish; because Idaho is a torture test for boots; feet; legs and your heart.
 After having lived here in Idaho and hunted it hard for over 20 years; my next boots will be knee high leather top; rubber bottom boots with inserts.
  I don't like creeks stopping me; or cold weather; and until you have ridden a slide rock section down a hill- well you just haven't lived.
  Respectfully - this 'what boot for Idaho' is a question that flatlanders cannot truely answer- until they have 'walked the walk'. Kinda like me knowing what pants are best in cactus country ..... IMHO.

:campfire:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©