3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ash vs. Lam birch  (Read 720 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Ash vs. Lam birch
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
Hey Gang,
    which shaft on average is heavier for a given diameter, the ash or lam birch? I have heard that ash shafts are hard to keep straight, is this true? Opinions? comments? Thanks for the help fellas, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ash vs. Lam birch
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
The laminated birch shafts I bought were a little heavier than the ash I have. And oddly enough, they were also harder to straighten and keep straight. I don't think that's typical but it's what I experienced.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
I've only used Ash once,but prefer to use Birch the majority of the time.Both seemed to be pretty close in weight,with the Birch being slightly heavier.Never straightened Ash,so can't comment on that,but Birch shafts have been pretty easy to straighten.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Both are comparable in weight, both can be difficult to straighten, and both are tough as nails.  Once straightened, Ash requires more frequent attention. I like ash though.  I have not had the luck getting quality lam birch shafts that I have getting quality ash shafts.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
I have had a group of 10 ash arrows for 3 years and they have never been crooked! I like ash and regular non-lam birch too. I did buy some 'quality' laminated birch shafts 2 years ago and can't be bothered fletching them!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
Anyone else?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
I only have had one experience with Lam. Birch. I typically use Sitka Spruce.  Both materials from the same vendor.  Birch is heavier and it is plenty tough.  I find that it takes dies and lacquer sealer the same as others (Sitka & Cedar).
But, I have shot a spruce shaft with a bunny buster on the tip, straight into a 4" diameter cypress log with my bow.  No damage.  So I can vouch for both materials when it comes to durability.
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
The last Lanbirch shafts I got werent too great. The diameter tended to flare out at the end of the shaft on one side. Makes it tough for  good nock and point alignment.
I draw about 29" so I cant cut them back, I need the whole shaft to get 30" BOP.

Eric

Offline The Singing Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I like them both. I buy Ash by the 100 to use for stumps, target. etc... I like the Lam Birch for hunting shafts. They aren't much heavier, but tend to keep a little straighter in the elements.

I highly recommend getting either or both form Mountain Arrow Woods. Bill makes an excellent shaft...
Shoot Straight,
Chad K. Slagle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©