3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips for hunting in a Ghillie suit  (Read 602 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tips for hunting in a Ghillie suit
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
I want to get on the ground for some close encounters and will be purchasing the Rancho Safari longcoat. Besides the fact on trimming the inside of your bow arm, I was more or less looking for some tips on how to hunt in them. Should I put a tree in between the deer and myself? Do I need to still make  myself a ground blind? Basically anything that you more experienced folks can suggest that would help this green horn out!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips for hunting in a Ghillie suit
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Make sure you play the wind right, keep face and hands covered, have good background cover and move ever so slowly.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Play the wind and keep movements slow... you'll be amazed. Have confidence in the Shaggy. You'll be invisible to the deer.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Houska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Three things: the wind, the wind, the wind.

Have the cover behind you, not in front.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Trim the bow arm sleeve, then go back and cut the rest of the dangly stuff off. You can cut every bit of the camo strands off the inside of your bow arm and still be invisible.

Practice shooting with the suite on. The face mask takes some getting used to, but it really helps make you disappear, so wear it.

I like to set up a deer trail ambush with a Torges tree seat. Deer absolutely can not see you unless you move suddenly.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
I don't wear the supplied face mask.  I have a lighter weight cloth camo half mask and it has worked fine.  

I have found that I don't really need to even be hidden.  When the leaves are down and only the oaks still have leaves, just standing in a wood lot had deer walking right past me.   Yes.  Trim almost everything off the darned bow arm sleeve (inside sleeve).  

Also,  Practice shoot with the hat on.  I have found that leaving hangy down stuff on my right side is OK, but not on the left side ( I am right handed).  I found that by sticking the drawstring from the hat behind my left ear, it keeps the hat turned around so it does not keep creeping and getting hangy downs in my way.  

I have also found that by wearing lightweight waders under it  (I hunt a marsh and some wading is required)  It SEEMS to keep my scent down to nothing.  I have had so many deer right up my butt this year I can't believe it.  

I need to practice picking a spot again however...
ChuckC

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Best advice you can give any still-hunter is SLOW DOWN...I don't care how fast you are going---YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST. Yes, you are still going to make some noise, but the idea not to sound like a human.

I stalked with 12 yards of a doe and a fawn the week before last...it is all about playing the wind and taking your time!

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 06:36:00 AM »
Might want to trim those shaggies at your chest. Mine get caught in the string too often for me to actually take hunting...but I'm working on it.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
Just move slow and you are fine... Cover at the back is Always best (imho-the human silhouette is what the ghillie breaks up besides giving depth to camo...)...  but if I can have a tree in front and back, I get away with a lil more...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
What suits are you guys using, Home made, or is there one you would recommend.
As i want to do it on my next trip back to the Dark continent.

Thanks James

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Don't be afraid to trim. Trim that stuff from the chest area, it doesn't hurt the effectivness of the suit. If in doubt, cut it off. You never know what sort of position you'll be in at shoot time and you don't want that stuff causing a miss or wound.
I actually cut away ALL the material from inside my bow arm except the cuff. (that is covered by my arm guard. What I mean is that I cut a big chunk of the sleeve completely away leaving a big hole in the arm from the armguard to above the elbow. Works great and no more string hangups.
They are very effective but they'll still see you move and you won't fool their nose.

It's also fun to scare the crap out of your buddies!  :)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
We need some pics of your suits guys. Ive been looking on the internet and to many types to choose from.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
I wanted the Rancho Safari but I see they are having problems....I dont know what to do!  :knothead:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
If they are still in operation, I would like to purchase a second suit, in green camo.  
ChuckC

Offline KaiS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Bush Rag makes a good one that has been recommended to me. I'll be getting   This  one before next turkey season. They also offer kits.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Guys : I could recomend a suit at half the cost of the bush rag . Pm me if you want more info :0) Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
Got one from cheaperthandirt.com for about $69.  Pretty decent for the money.  Tried it a couple times thus far.  All I can say is, don't get in the briar bushes.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
I'm waiting for Rod at SafariTuff to get his finalized.
Support the sport!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by wtpops:
We need some pics of your suits guys. Ive been looking on the internet and to many types to choose from.
I am a make my own type of  guy... It's just easier to buy one... I however like that mine has the inside of the sleeves open (but I wear an arm guard as some hangs down... It's actually pretty cheap to do... but a little time consuming... I did mine in the off season after deer and before turkey...

I need to take some pics and if weather permits, I'll get my chief woodlands photgrapher (my 9 y.o. son) to accompany me into some woods so I can show some field shots...

But the best info I found was more towards military snipers but it is a treasure trove of info for those considering it...

GHILLIE WEB PAGE

I know nothing except I followed the guide lines for mine cept, I left the inside of arms bare and trimmed a lil off the chest... With and arm guard, it works great and I couldn't be more pleased with the effectiveness... I think it allows me a lot more movement when good set ups lack good concealment...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I'm waiting for Rod Jenkins to make me one too. Hurry Rod!!    :goldtooth:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©