3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips for hunting in a Ghillie suit  (Read 601 times)

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips for hunting in a Ghillie suit
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
Don't move, sit as low to gronud as possible, and sit amongst stuff that looks like your ghillie suit.  :D

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
About 10 years ago, I made my own ghillie long coat from a camo nylon decoy bag and burlap strips.  It is OK, and has gotten me close to some game, but after many kinds of effort, the burlap still STINKS (kind of a funky petroleum odor).

After a LOT of research and reading user of reviews, I am considering investing in this one:

http://www.ghilliesuitclothing.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=52&osCsid=128b9bc5b3c358bb295bf2e46788162a

It looks to be light weight, scentless, and well designed.  There are also a lot of good ghillie info links on this site in the lower right-hand corner.

If Rod Jenkins is closing in on getting a suit into the mix, I'd sure be tempted to wait and see what he's coming up with!!

Sure is an interesting alternative to ladder stands and standing corn...

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
I notice that most of these suits have attached hoods.
The RS longcoat I've used for years does not. It has a seperate "boonie" style shaggy hat. I like this feature much better than the hood. The hat turns with your head so it doesn't ever obstruct your vision. I often just wear the hat and face mask without the longcoat when I plan to still hunt. The shaggy hat alone is pretty confusing to deer. I guess it kind of melts your shoulder/head profile.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
I spoke to these folks and got to handle their "suit" at the big Harriburg PA sport show last Feb.

Their "suit" pants didn't have any leg openings at the cuff...which means you can't just carry it into where yo want to hunt and slip it on...without removing boots.

I have an old "leafy suit" that never really did the trick for me...too many gaps.

I've been toying with the idea of buying some of these folks synthetic "thread" for ghillie suits and adding to the leafy suit...

...and the ole leafy suit... it has slit cuffs t slip over boots!

Here's there material page:  http://www.ghilliesuits.com/syntheticghilliethread.aspx
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Spoke with Jerry at Rancho Safari just yesterday. California wild fire took everything from him in Oct. 2007. His web site is now up but not accepting internet orders at this time. Will be up and running full time shortly. I've played with a two piece leafy suit the last two years. Like the weight and ease of carry in my backpack but havn't really given it an honest shot. Mine has the zippered leg so it is easier to get in and out of, but personally think the long coat would be better. Looking to step it up a notch in 2009. The older I get the less I want to sit in a tree.   :campfire:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
I bought the Short coat from Rancho just before the fire.  I like not having the strips on my leg, although the top does hang to about mid-thigh.  Haven't noticed a problem with it yet.  I've used it without the hood and just a mask because of hunter orange requirements and had success.  Rolls into a small bundle that I carry in over my shoulder using the supplied shoulder strap.

Offline phatty363

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
i dont want to say buying a suit  is a bad thing but you can just go to wall mart and buy some different kinds of fabric and stuff liek that for little less than 30 bucks  but buying one is good too they are very hott thou keep ya warm

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Pics of your ghille suits in action please.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
I have a Rancho Shaggy suit and love it.  I still hunt through the woods and like everyone has said, slow down and hunt into the wind.  I usually scout an area so I know where and when the deer will usually be moving and it usually takes me around 4 hours to hunt 50 to 60 yards.  If there is enough wind blowing I will move just a little faster.

Learn how to comfortably stand as motionless as possible for an extended period.  I got caught in an open spot (10 feet from some brush) and spotted a big ten point.  An hour and fifteen minutes later I finally got a shot and had eight deer wander through the area within 25 yards.  It is hard to do when you have a sore back like mine.

I don't get a shot every time but it is a lot of fun.  The best time I had was when a doe finally realized she was standing two feet away from a human.  Her eyes got real big and then she blew snot on my leg when she went tearing out of sight.

Dennis

Offline William Tell Not

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
check out this Chewbacca one at the bottom of the page

$70 for any of these

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=apc&product=Ghillie

I made mine long ago.
I shot an arrow into the air......
Still ain't found the bugger

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »

This suit works well but as others have said above I wish it didn't have an attached hood, it does block vision and the string material hangs on everything when you walk, if I get another it will be a long coat style.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
I use a camo ball cap with the brim trimmed to about 2" to help "lock in" the hood.  Make sure you trim any dangling material away from the anchor side of your face.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I wear my ballcap backwards and the bill keeps the hood back away from my face.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
As a compromise, the ASAT leafy suit works well for me.  Very light, scent free, easy to carry and shoot from.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©