3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote Question  (Read 367 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyote Question
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
It was Mentioned at the "Turkey-Fest". This Older Lady has a Small Farm, and she  CANNOT  Keep A Pet-Anything. The 'Yotes are Thick out by her place.
   She said They are getting so Bad she was kind of afraid to go outside in the Dark!!! She is a Sweet-Lady and Shouldnt Live in  ANY  Fear.
   I am in Process of Gettin' all the Rules & Regs. Gotta Keep The D & R Folks Happy Campers.
  My Question is this: What "Color"cant they See? I was Thinking Red,but I wanna make Sure.
      THANKS IN ADVANCE   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote Question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
I would go late season, full camo. Around here, if you are wearing anything red or orange, you dont see them period.
If you need to wear it for your own reasons or due to DNR rules, I would go with plaid, red and black. I have seen a few wearing my dad's old wool coat, but none once I switched to hunter orange. Of course, I wasnt hunting coyotes at either time.
Did you ever get that cd by the way?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
I am not sure what color they can or cannot see, but they see any movement that you make.  They are fun to call in.  I have had some success with hunting them.  PM me if I can be of any help.  Good luck and have fun!  (Stay warm)

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Someone once told me if there was a atomic war and no people were left a few coyotes would crawl out of a hole and survive. One of the smartest critters on the planet and the harder they are hunted the smarter they become. But as far as color I,m not sure, I still go with the movement theory and the reason I say this is I have an old friend who use to shoot about 50 to 60 a year by just tracking them and he wore a hunter orange hat.

Offline JESSE69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
What I have found is they see everything so wear full camo if legal.Use a good e-caller or mouth call and PLAY THE WIND.If no one has hunted them around there it will be good for a while.Try your best to kill every one that you call as they will get smart fast.The big things will be setup and playin the wind.  :bigsmyl:
THAT PUTS YOU IN ONE POSSIBLY TWO CATEGORIES,SUCKS TO BE YOU AND BETTER YOU THAN ME.    JOKINGLY OF COURSE

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
if legal, call em at night using a red lense. By keeping the light in front of you, they cant see ya. Not to mention night calling is a blast and can get REAL exciting real quick   ;)

Offline harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
when calling at night use a red light. shine the light so that it lights up the area but not shine into their eyes or they will spook. I don't know that they can't see the red light but I know that red lets you protect your night vision. The part about not moving is good advice. Happy hunting

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Thank You  ALL  Very Much for the Comments and  GO FORTH YOUNG MAN & CROAK 'EM, AS MANY AS IS POSSIBLE!!  Mentality!!! Maybe if I can "Hone M'Skills", I Just Might Arrow Me A "SPRING TURKEY"!!!  :knothead:  
   I Know what ya Mean trapperDave: "I Know Just Enough to be DANGEROUS!!"  :goldtooth:
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Shakes...tried to Pm ya, your mail box is full.
It was my only copy, but Im still looking for more.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline JESSE69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
I do predator control for several big ranchs in the area.I use a foxpro and it stacks'em.  :goldtooth:
THAT PUTS YOU IN ONE POSSIBLY TWO CATEGORIES,SUCKS TO BE YOU AND BETTER YOU THAN ME.    JOKINGLY OF COURSE

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
There was an article in one of the predator magazines last month on what colors they can see, I will check with my buddy tonight at work and get back with you.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
trap them-if you hunt them and educate them, they'll learn to avoid you.  smother the place in traps and see what you get after  week-them hunt them at night.  Won't last long--these are very easily educated animals/
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
in indiana you can hunt year round with landowners permission,that incldes trapping them as well.....snare the hell out of that place...
i like biscuits

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Sorry about my Mail Box  "Being Full".  My Email and User has had Something  'Hinky'  I dont know, I am waiting on a FeedBack Yet:banghead:  :knothead:     :archer:

Offline Pruneemac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
use a ground blind, then it wont matter

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I think you'd be better off getting a trapper in there. Have them set up heavy..That would be the best way...Tucker

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
With there being lots of yotes, the calling early on will be good, BUT you are going to educate them real quick.

Like T-Dog said, get a trapper in there to compliment your calling if you are serious about getting them killed.

They are a different animal at night, and if nighttime calling is legal, that is for sure the way to go.

Bowhunting them is the supreme challenge, but it will not lower their numbers. A twelve guage
3 1/2" magnum with #2 or 4 shot is best, or .22 mag.

Close to a farm, I would use a distressed chicken, or distressed housecat.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Sounds like a fun problem to help someone out with!  My favorite predator call is the Haydel Government Hunter Cottontail.  It has a squeeker built into one end so that you can blow in one end for the "tortured rabbit" sound, and when you inhale it squeeks like all get out!  I've had more success and fun with that call than all others combined!  Good luck.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Went down to the Local Hunter Hangout, and got 2 Calls, One Is a "Howler"  :scared:  , The Other is the Combination of ALL kind of Critters!! Hey BDann, sounds like I got the same Racket Maker too!!
  My Son-In-Law isnt too keen on the Idea. He is a Fisherman, I am trying to get Converted, But...
Ya know how it goes, either I am Hyped and have all my Goodies out to load in the Truck, Or he is Working. WORKING is BEST!! haha
            Merry Christmas!!
 Let Me Try To Keep The CHRIST in Christmas!

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
I'll second the shotgun advice.  I know that's heresy on this site, which is fine, but perhaps take both bow and shotgun?

At night you'll probably WANT a shotgun even though they are 10x more scared of you. 12ga with #4buckshot is my preferred, with a Modified or Improved Cylinder choke.

I must admit I will also be trying for some yotes with the bow very soon, but for sheer population control I would even leave my 22-250 in the closet and take the shotty.  For fun/sport/"hunting": Bow.  For random population control/herd protection: 22-250 or 223.  For heavy or focused population control: Shotgun all the way, at night with a buddy sitting back-to-back. (I'm left handed so the last time I did this me and my buddy set up with the call upwind about 20 yards and we sat facing 90* off of the wind direction with each of our "strongsides" facing downwind.  We messed up twice so didn't get anything.  But that was our fault, not the setups....clear as mud, right?)

Don't have a decoy but if you get your hands on one try it at night too!  Their eyes are something else!!!!!!!
Micah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©