3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stegar Mukluks?  (Read 195 times)

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
Stegar Mukluks?
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Has anyone tried these boots? I've heard that they are excellent for colder weather-very warm and very light. How are they for walking in?
BD

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stegar Mukluks?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
Yep - had a pair when I lived a bit further north.  As long as its cold enough that they don't become wet - they were warm and comfortable.  Good for easy walking, wouldn't do well on steep stuff though.  Get em big enough for a loose fit is the key.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Mr. BD,
Have two pairs and they are great!
Just remember to get them a size or two larger than what you normally wear.  VERY IMPORTANT!
If you will be hunting in weather cooler than -20 degrees below 0 (F), you will probably need them to be two sizes larger, so as to allow for thick socks, etc.
Best Wishes

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
Yeup, great cold dry weather footwear!   I don't wear them around town but out in the snowy field and snowshoeing they are great!

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
I have used Steger Mukluks for about the last 12 years in a variety of winter activites including some extensive use dogsledding.  They are the best boots i've used in terms of keeping my feet warm.  use a silicon based water repellent on the boots and they are reasonably water resistant.  I have 2 pair and both are my regular shoe size and they have worked well.  In one pair i have used a thicker insulated insole which helps some as well.  As a recent example I sat in my tree stand for about 4.5 hrs in temps in the upper teens last weekend. My feet were a little cold but didn't get cold enough to make me feel like I wanted to leave.  When walking, they are adequate in much colder temps.  As a word of caution, if you are not used to shoes with poor support (mocs, barefeet, etc) start out with shorter distance or you could be a set up for developing plantar fascitis.  

Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
My favorite winter footwear. I have a pair of Arctic Weathermates that are entering their sixth winter of hard use.

The only winter boot I have worn that I can mosey around the house in all day and not get sweaty feet and still step outside, fire up the sled and enjoy the snow.

I wear them all the time when truckin the Dalton.

I see that they have a new style this year, more waterproof. I don't know how those will be warmth wise since the "breathability" is key to warm feet.

My best,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
I am wearing mine right now! All though I normally dont wear mine hunting I wear them everywhere else!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
For those who enjoy the Mukluks, and wish to increase the warmth and provide a little margin of grace should one step through a beaver run or drop into overflow, try putting a pair of neopreme socks over your wool socks.

This, in effect, creates a vapor barrier keeping the wool liner dry for extended periods of dry cold, and provides a waterproof barrier in the event of a dunking.

Of course, everythig is a trade off. Using a neopreme sock keeps the moisture against the foot, trapped in the wool sock underlayer. Much like wearing a pair of the old MickeyMouse boots (technically a vapor barrier boot) you have to be prepared to switch socks at mid-day. This is not so critical on a one day outing, but for extended trips, the danger of developing trench foot arrises. Simple to prevent with prior planning.

I have been outside the greater part of today with the temps hovering about minus 28 and my feet have been quite comfortable.

For extreem conditions get the mukluks oversized enough to provied room for TWO felt insoles along with the felt boot liner.

The mukluks ability to breath makes it so much warmer than a typical sorrel type boot (with the rubber boot bottom) that there is no comparison, especially if one finds oneself going in and out alot. The moisture trapped against the rubber (or heavy leather for that matter) turns to ice in short order, negating any possiblity of the body heat ever drying it to the point that insulative value is restored.

Just my experience in keeping my toes warm in a frigid environment.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©