3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas City area trad hunt?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Kansas City area trad hunt?
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Been thinking about getting a group together again this year for a bow hunt at Platte Falls.  We did it a couple years ago with half a dozen guys and had a pretty good time.  I got a rabbit, missed a turkey and almost got a shot at a deer.

I'm thinking maybe over the Christmas break?

We'll leave the specifics for now but everyone interested chime in and let me know what date would be good for you and we'll finalize it later.

I'm figuring on the same "anything goes" type hunt.  We can chase bunnies, put on a couple little pushes for deer and maybe bust up a flock of turkeys.  If someone can come up with a beagle or two, that would be awsome.  I know a couple places where we could post a couple guys for deer and then go around the other end and hunt the brush for rabbits and likely push deer out to the guys on the other end.  Or, if someone wants, I can put them in a place where they could just set for deer as long as they wanted but they'd need their own stand or blind as I don't leave mine in the woods on public land.  

I'll try to copy and paste this to the guys on the KCTN list but I need to make sure I still have it.

This thread will be the primary place for signing up and providing info.

Who's in?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline JESSE69

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas City area trad hunt?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
How much is out of state lic and tags??
THAT PUTS YOU IN ONE POSSIBLY TWO CATEGORIES,SUCKS TO BE YOU AND BETTER YOU THAN ME.    JOKINGLY OF COURSE

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Here's a pic of a typical mediumish buck from the place.  I helped this guy find a spot back in early November and just before dark he shot this guy.  We waited till the next morning to trail him and turned out he didn't go 60 yards.  Long hard drag but a nice buck.

There's two others I've seen in the same area that are both a little wider but not as tall.  One is a spindly 7 point with a busted brow tine and the other looked like a nicer 8 with both brows broken off.

This place always has the possibility of a real hawg showing up too.

Squirrels are not overly common but they are there and rabbits are real good some years and fair others.  Turkeys are down from past years but if you cover some ground, you'll likely bump into some at some point in the day.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
Above I said "There's two others I've seen in the same area that are both a little wider but not as tall. One is a spindly 7 point with a busted brow tine and the other looked like a nicer 8 with both brows broken off.

This place always has the possibility of a real hawg showing up too."

But don't get teh idea the place is over run with deer.  It's tough hunting and sometimes crowded but by the end of gun season hunting pressure slows way down.

That time of year, just sitting can lead to a long uneventful day but with a group of guys hunting, I figure we can make something happen.  Not really any kind of organized drives with deer running past standers full tilt, rather just put some guys in likely places and pinch points while the rest of us hunt the bigger areas and hopefully nudge some deer the way we want them to go.

If we were smart, we could even have the guys who want to sit for deer set stands up the evening before and they'd get in there before daylight next day.  Then if some others want to just hunt small game, we'd go hunt the thick stuff and nudge the deer to the guy on stand.
Dave

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
I'm in Dave. I'll have to check and see what dates but I'm sure I can work around dates. Good idea!!!!!!!Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
How much is MO out of State?

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Here is a link to the MDC website with a chart of all hunting permits and prices.

http://mdc.mo.gov/regs/permits.htm
Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
The quicky price list for permits is as follows:

Non resident small game only, 2 possibilities.
1. Full season------$75.00
2. Daily------------$11.00

For frogs, birds (except turkey), mammals (except deer and furbearers), and to chase furbearers for training dogs during the closed season. A permit may be purchased for multiple days. A federal duck stamp also is required by federal regulations for hunting waterfowl and a Migratory Bird Hunting Permit is required by state regulations for hunting waterfowl, doves, snipe, woodcock and rails.

Full meal deal archers hunting permit:  $150

For 2 deer and 2 turkey during the archery deer and turkey hunting season, and for small game, except furbearers, during prescribed season2

Basically, an archery permit lets you hunt anything with the bow except furbearers and migragtory birds.

If it's this late in the game and funds are tight, I doubt I'd pony up for the full archers permit and I'd just go for the small game daily permit.  Of course, then I'd have the biggest buck of my life stand around taunting me from 20 yards or less....
Dave

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
I think I'd be more interested in small game anyway. I've never been on an organized bunny hunt with a group of friends.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
I might give it a whirl.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Sounds like fun, I'm in if the date works out.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
I might join you guys if the dates are favorable on my end.

Dennis

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
I'd be interested in the dates also.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 01:27:00 AM »
Well guys, the date is open to input.

How about everyone give their preference if they are limited.  I'm thinking maybe the Saturday between Christmas and new years?
Dave

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
I'm interested Dave and anytime will work as long as I can make it.  Don't think Platte Falls has no big deer.  One of the biggest Mo. deer taken(at the time it was 4 or 5) back in about the 70's was taken by an archer on that land.  The land is about 2300 acres and I know there are some big deer there.  It is archery only for deer.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
I'll be there if there aren't any conflicts with family stuff. Let me know what dates work for you.  The Saturday mentioned (12/27) works for me. Thanks for getting this started Dave.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Same here, if no conflicts I'll come.  Thanks,  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Sounds good to me!  I had fun the last time we got together Dave.  

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Sounds like fun. The 27th is open right now.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Well, looks like the 27th is good for most of you.  Funny thing..... when I mentioned Saturday, I didn't know what the date was, just figured Saturday would work well.  Turns out it's the 27th and that is my Daughter Lindsey's birthday.

Maybe I'll just have to bring her along.  It would be cool for her to get some encouragement from some other hunters besides me.  I took her out for a bunny hunt last weekend with the bows and she had fun.  Got cold, but had fun.  Now I just need to get some arrows built up for her.  All she has now is one carbon and about 3 or 4 cheap kids arrows with the crimped on points.  I think I might have some shafts in the 35 or 40 pound range down the basement.

I posted some pics of her and my boy Emmett on another thread, but I'll put 'em up here too.  A guys gotta brag on his kids a little now and then....

Here she is at the house all decked out in her huntin' duds.

Here's Lindsey and Emmett as we were about to head back to the truck.

Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©