3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas City area trad hunt?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas City area trad hunt?
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Guys I talked withIrish and he is heading to AZ in the morning for a visit. That means that neither one of us can make it to the bunny hunt. I still am unable to drive since my stroke so I will not be able to make it.  Sorry guys, I was looking forward to meeting some of you all for the first time and becoming reaquainted with some of you others.Good luck hunting. Hate to miss out on the food.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
Well dang John, too bad you didn't know about that sooner, maybe someone would have been able to pick you up.  Heck, maybe someone STILL could?  

Tom, if you check this in the morning, I found my second coffee pot so we should be good to go.  No need to fill the thermos at the quicktrip.

I finally got Lindseys arrows finished and got all my stuff together (I hope!!!)  It's 12:41am and I'm gonna hit the sack.  Gotta get up about 5:00am....

See you all there!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »
Woke up to roaring winds and pouring rain with sleet mixed in....

Just checked the Intelicast radar loop   http://www.intellicast.com/national/radar/current.aspx?animate=true&location=USMO0453    and it looks like we may be getting this for a while.  

If any of you check in here before going, I'm still gonna be there as I don't think I could get ahold of everyone to try to change plans at this point.  I'm hoping that by the time we eat breakfast the worst will have blown through.  I believe we're supposed to get some sort of precipitation for most of the day but as long as the winds die down and it doesn't flat out pour, I can handle some rain.  If it turns to snow, that would be great as long as the roads didn't get bad.

Guess we'll find out who's tough and who's talk.....   :campfire:      :coffee:      :biglaugh:    until things improve.

Should have plenty of food and there will be a roof over our heads if we need it.

See ya there!

Any questions, call me at 816-582-4003.  Cell reception is sometimes poor at the archery range but it's not as bas as it used to be.  I'll keep it with me at all times.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Weeeeee'rrrrrre baaaaaaaaackk!!!!

We had an absolute blast!

Talk about a rough start though....  thunder, lightning, hail and high winds from about 4:30am till 7:00am then steadily lessening rain (slowly) until it was getting halfway bearable by the time we had finished breakfast.  By then temps had dropped below freezing and everything was coated with a good layer of ice that looked real pretty but made for noisy going.

Chris, his boy Hunter and their friend Mike showed up with the beagles and the other half of the breakfast fixins.

I'll upload my pictures to photobucket and get some up here as soon as I can.  Tom took a bunch too.

Short version is we had a good feed, everyone either got shooting or at least saw bunnies but had not shot.  None taken but I think I can speak for all and say we had a great time.

Met a future super hard core hunter who is probably tougher than most of the grown ups who were there.  Chris's boy Hunter was sick, threw up several times and coouldn't keep anything down but WHAT A TROOPER!!!  That kid kept up with all of us, never complained and stayed with it all day.  Like somebody else said today, that kid can share my camp anytime!

Should be some others checking in soon.  We'll try to get a couple stories up.
Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Here's the weather radar pic on the tv at about 5:00am.

There were actually others crazy enough to show up!  On the left is Kris Kinslow and Brian Moeller.  My daughter Lindsey is in the background gloming a burrito and trying to stay warm by the fire.

Here's the toughest guy in the group.  Hunter Couch, ten years old and hard core about hunting.  That's my disc on the stove with a bunch of taters with ham, bacon and onions.  Chris had the eggs and sausage in his disc.

Lindsey was the first to "almost" get a shot.  The bunnie came across a field road and stopped about 17 yards away under the edge of a cedar.  she hit full draw but the bunnie decided it was time to scat about that same time.  Oh yea, today was her 14th birthday and it was the first time she's ever shot at an animal with her bow.  She says it was her best birthday ever.

Dave

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
It was a BLAST! Its been a long time since I got to hear beagles running rabbits.  Got one shot and just missed at about twenty yards. If Chris is gracious enough to get us in on the federal grounds again we could call this hunt the "Jail Break Bunny Hunt".  

Great meeting Chris, Hunter, Floyd, Joe, Mike, Lindsey (happy birthday) and seeing the regulars again.

Can't wait to see some pics.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Glad to hear you guys had a great time. sorry to have missed it.Hope my no showing with cheeze didn't spoil the eating.  I thought that the wife was going to drive me up there in a pinch but she's getting tired of hauling me around.Going to try for deer in the morning with my daughters boyfriend. Love hunting these metro bucks.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Here's my favorite pic of the day.  Cedars and bunnys just go together in my mind.

Of course, I had to pose for a shot too in the same general area.

Here's two of the guys posted on the road waiting for a shot.  I think most of the first batch of shot opportunities happened in this area.  I had two shots, Lindsey had one, these guys got shooting.  Mikes beagles brought the rabbitaround half a dozen times.

Here's Tom standing about where the rabbit was when he got his first shot at it.  Plenty of brush but he missed just over the top.

Here's a shot of part of the group.  Tom, I love that hat!

Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Here's one showing the ice laden brush at the Leavenworth farm.

If you look close at the center, there is a bluebird sitting there.  There were several around me but I couldn't get a very good pic.

And here's most of the lineup.  Just missing me, Tom and Hunter.

Left to right is Mike, Brian, Dave, Kris, Floyd, Joe and Chris.

Tom has the picture with all of us in it.

Dave

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Good pics Dave........ we want to remember the year of the "icey wrabbit hunt!!"

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting  the KC Trad group. I know we will find lots more fun stuff to do, even after season ends.

Suppose there are any Rhino roaming the Flint Hills????  If not, I'm also dying to shoot an Armadillo.  Have shot at one before, but missed the little "begger" twice.

Let's get together again soon!

-Dave

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Glad you guys were able to get out and hunt.  Wish I could have made it.  

We were under a tornado watch from about 9pm last night to 5am this morning.    At 5am it was pouring rain and lots of lightning here, no ice or sleet though.

Woodsy Dave, if you want to hunt armadillos come down here.  The big flood we had 1-1/2 years ago pretty much thinned them out but they are starting to show up again.  I've had more than one hunt screwed up by them.

Dennis

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
I had a great time also guys!

Thank you Dave B. and Chris C. for putting this hunt together. A special thank you to Mike for bring out his beagles Jewels, Pepper and Anna.

Brian I like the name of the hunt.

I have pictures to share too but I am also at home dealing with dial-up and a Mac. I think the Mac was invented to give people something to throw.

Chris, Dave, Mike, Hunter, Lindsey, Floyd and Joe it was a pleasure to meet all of you and spend the day with you. I hope we can do it again soon. Chris thanks for taking us to the killing field! I have always wanted to gain access to that ground. It looks like a real paradise. This KCTN thing is the bomb! This has been the best year I have ever had for hunting and the guys in the KCTN are the reason why. I hope we can keep it going.

Hunter….You’re the man! You are a tuff cookie.

Happy birthday Lindsey!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Given the way this day started I think it says a lot about the folks here on Trad Gang and KCTN.  Pouring down rain, cold temps, and strong wind would have kept a lot of folks in bed.  I guess we must be tough and not just talk!

Dave B. and Chris C. kept the disc grills and coffee going while Tom, Brian, and I made a fire in the grate as the rain and wind pounded down.

Proved once again that perseverance pays off as Tom kept after that fire and sure enough we got it going pretty well and it sure felt good to warm up my hands over the flames.  It made a tough start seem pretty neat after it was all said and done.

I've never hunted with beagles before and I must say I was really impressed. Those little dogs did a great job and Mike obviously knows how to handle them well.

Overall a really fun day and I can't wait to do it again.  I'm going to go ahead and post some of Tom's pictures tonight.

Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Ha ha Chris! (See I spelled it right this time.  Don't know why I thought you used a K)

"Given the way this day started I think it says a lot about the folks here on Trad Gang and KCTN. Pouring down rain, cold temps, and strong wind would have kept a lot of folks in bed. I guess we must be tough and not just talk! "

I know I mentioned that this morning about the be tough or talk tough but I also thought of the old saying, "If you're gonna be dumb, ya better be tough."  :banghead:  

Once again guys, thanks for showing up and making this day as fun as you did.  Chris and Mike, we owe ya big for the use of the beagles.  This is the third time we've done a hunt like this and it's the first time we had dogs unless you cound one kinda lazy basset. (Hi Scott!!)  It turned a miserable day into a truely fun time.  

Now, if I can just talk the wife into letting me get another beagle....

By the way Chris, how is Hunter doing tonight?  Feeling any better?
Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
By the way, I couldn't help feeling like I needed to keep an eye on Hunter today.  That boy looks like he could be a twin to my Emmett only Emmett is only eight.  His facial experessions and everything made me feel like I was looking at my own kid.

Here's a pic of Emmett last time we went out.  It's not very good but do you guys see the resemblence?  Compare to the pic on page 7 where Hunter is standing by the disc.

Dave

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
All-
Thanks to all who were able to make it this morning and appreciate your gratitude, it was a grand time and Hunter is finally starting to feel better.  One of my other boys apparently has the same flu bug so we'll all end up with it by Monday. I'll be in touch with Dave B. for another hunt sometime after the first and we'll get after em' again.  Chris

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Thought about driving up just to meet some of my fellow tradgangers this morning but I wussed out  :bigsmyl:  Looks like you guys and gal ( happy birthday Lindsey )had a great time today.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
WOW! Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks everybody for posting pics so all of us out in no go land can share in the fun. Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Okay here are the pictures that I have.

TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Looks like you guys had a great time. Sorry I missed it. I must admit that I underestimated you all  :banghead:  I'll know better next time. Glad to see you all had a great time!

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©