3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas City area trad hunt?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas City area trad hunt?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Well this sounds like lots of fun, but the only day I can't make it is the 27th. My sister is in town from Detroit that day. Hope Everyone has a great time. Be careful and take lots of pictures. Maybe if this one works out We can do another one after the first of the year.

bretto

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 02:25:00 AM »
Bretto,

Twosheds pm'd me about him having a hunt on the Kansas side for the guys who can't make it to mine or don't wish to buy a nonresident license.  He'll probably post here about it.

So, what's the preference for those of you who plan to make it?  Anyone really dead set on deer?  I've got some good spots.  I can get you in the area and you can narrow it down to a particular tree or spot on the ground.  Who wants to try hard for bunnys?  There are several spots with monster brush piles and some good briar patches  but I have not hunted them this year so I don't know how the numbers are.  Some years I can kick up half a dozen in an afternoon and other years I have trouble finding any.

Lastly, I mentioned it before but I'll say it again, if any of you have access to a beagle or two it would REALLY help.  Most of the brush piles are bulldozer size and you just can't stomp a bunny out of it if you tried.  A dog makes a huge difference.  I used to have one but he mysteriously dissapeared.  With a dog, you could count on some of us getting shooting but without a dog and especially if we have no snow, trying to bust brush with a nocked arrow and get shooting at light speed rabbits....well, we'd have to get lucky.  Last time we did this I actually got lucky and killed one that only hopped a couple feet deeper into a brush pile and stopped with his head and body hidden.  He couldn't see me so thought he was hid but "I still sawed his wittle ears and then I killed da wabbit!!!...Killed da Wa-bbit!!!  KILLED da WA-bit!!"  (Think Elmer Fudd 30 years ago.  What a classic!)

Anyway, let's hear what you'd like to do.

Oh, Platte Falls is also tailor made for stump shooting.  Being a river bottom area, there are miles of levees and walking along the levee and shooting down onto the flat, retrieving your arrows and then shooting back at the side of the levee can keep a guy busy for hours if he wants.  I'm maybe gonna throw a tennis ball into my pack for a target if we get bored.  

And Lastly, how about times and food?  There is an archery range with a grill and shelter area and I also have a big two burner propane stove.  We could make our own breakfast of say scrambled eggs and bacon with cheese and salsa....toss it in a tortilla, wash it down with some fresh brewed coffee.....mmmmmmmmm.

If anyone wants to hunt deer in the early morning, I could meet them up there say the day before if they need help finding a place to sit and they could go in on their own before light.  then the guys who just want to hunt small game could show up at a later hour like 8 or 9 o'clock and we'd make breakfast then start our hunt.  For that matter, there's a Waffle House in Platte City about a mile away.

I'm tossing out a lot of ideas here I know.  Maybe too many?  Just let me know what ya'll want to do so we can get a better handle on the logistics.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
If I can make it I believe I will go for the small game and stumps.  Will probably be shooting more pictures than arrows.

Dennis

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Small game for me. I'm out of deer tags  :bigsmyl:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
I'm game to give it a try. Not sure of my Christmas schedule yet, but hoping the date works out.

Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 02:14:00 AM »
Ok!

Summary time...

Date:  Saturday, Dec 27th.

Place:  Platte Falls Conservation Area

Who's going:

Me
Twosheds
Chris Kinslow
BMN
Gatekeeper

Who's maybe gonna go:

BMoeller
Trap
Aeronut
Missouri Bowman
Gatekeeper
KSBowman
Woodsy Dave

That's four yeses and seven hopefulls.

Could be a good little group if everyone makes it.

Directions:

If you don't know where it is, here is a mapquest link.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Platte+City&state=MO&cat=Platte+Falls#a/search/l:::Platte+City:MO::US:39.3703:-94.782204:city:Platte+County:1/m::11:39.360932:-94.772056:0:::::/so   :Platte+Falls::    :D   ::25:::::/e

Use the zoom bar on the left to zoom in or out.  You can also click the aerial map button on the top right to get an aerial photo view.

On the map picture, look for route HH going east off I-29.  You may need to zoom in to get it to show.  Where it curves north and starts to border the green area is about where the archery range is where we will all meet.

Use the little hand cursor to drag the picture around and you can see the whole property.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
I talked to my wife and there are no plans for that day so I have a green light! I’ll be there.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
I'll be there if road conditions allow it.  I'm free for the day at this point.  Of course with 3 youngsters, anything could happen.  

Thanks for starting the thread Dave, sounds like a good time.  My freezer is not full, I think I'd  opt to climb a tree.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
ttt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline 4ks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
what about Hillsdale lot of ground there

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
ttt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
TTT

We're gettin' closer!!!!
Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
ttt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Count me in for the 27th.  Still have deer tags, it's been a frustrating year. Got some items I'll bring along in case someone has Christmas money to spend.I'll hunt anything you want to hunt.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
All right John!  

We'll see ya there.

Any of you guys who want to hunt deer, please contact me via PM so I can get an idea of how many of you there are and can be thinking about stand sites.  If any of you already are familiar with Platte Falls and have a spot in mind, let me know that too.

I might get Lindsey set up somewhere for the evening or let her be a stander if we do a drive.  I'm working on some arrows for her right now.  Depending on how well she's able to shoot them, I'll decide on wether to let her try for deer or not.  More than likely, I'll be waiting till next season for that but ya never know.  She's been shooting for ten years but never really bow hunted yet.
Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
Any more maybe answers turned into definite yeses?

I've been contacted by a couple guys who want to sit for deer if we can put on a push or two.  I'm thinking those who want to hunt deer can meet with me fairly early in the morning and we can get everyone pointed in the right direction.

Then, since I'm gonna be there ahead of those hunting small game anyway, I think I'll take my big camp stove and fire it up to make some coffee and breakfast.  If there is only the half dozen or so confirmed now, I'll be able to provide all the chow.  If we start getting into a sizeable group, maybe some of you can pitch in to bring some additional supplies?  How's pancakes, eggs and bacon sound?  Maybe some fried taters or donuts?

Unless of course you all don't want to eat or want to hit the Waffle House instead?
Dave

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Pretty sure to definate I'll be there.  I have tags left, but I can drive if we don't have enough of them.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Hey Dave,that sounds like something I'd like to do.Are you talking one day or the whole week-end?

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »
Pretty much just Saturday though if anyone wants to hunt more, it is public land.
Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »
Brian, that's great.

If you have any ideas on good stand sites for the guys who want to hunt deer, feel free to chime in.  I've got 3 or 4 good ones in mind but not all would work for doing drives.  Some of the areas are very hard to get to this year without waders because of all the flooded bottoms on the north side.

I think I may try to find a map or aerial of Platte Falls online that I can copy to Word and try to mark some stand sites on it and forward them out.  But you guys would have to kinda keep the info to yourselves.  I don't mind a bit helping friends and showing my stand sites but I don't want them posted on the internet so anybody can see them.  :archer:
Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©