3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas City area trad hunt?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas City area trad hunt?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Hahahahaha, I'm sure you guys will find out my luck only runs for so long. I'm just waiting to get hit by a bus of have a airplane land on my house.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Ok fellas, here's the deal with the beagles.  My neighbor is an avid rabbit hunter with no experience with bowhunters so I thought he would be a little nervous, but he was more excited about seeing us go for em' with sticks then his pellets.  He will be returning home from S. America on the afternoon of the 26th and assured me that he will be ready to go.  I'd like to get over there at the what ever agreed time and meet everyone.  Wanted to see if you guys are interested in a throw together breakfast.  We usually do this on pheasant hunts were we cook over a turkey fryer with an 30" disk converted into a wok and have breakfast burritos.  I'll bring the cooking stuff (propane, cooker, wok, utensiles, oil, butter, etc) if you guys want to bring eggs, pre-cut taters, tortillas, hot sauce, shredded cheese, and so on.  Let me know if you're interested in doing this.  Chris

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Ouch! Twisting my arm wasn’t necessary. How could anybody say no to this. Have kitchen will travel.   :biglaugh:   I like this guy already.

I’m in for the potatoes or is it potato’s? Whatever… I’ll bring the tubers.

We really need a graemlin with a knife and fork.

PS Chris Kinslow needs to clean out his mail box.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
I think Im gonna make it.  Bunnys for me though I always have deer tags lol.  Whats the meeting time and place?

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2008, 02:54:00 AM »
Chris,

I'm already planning on making breakfast but I certainly don't mind help!  I'm gonna buy a whole ham for Christmas and cook it in my smoker so I'll have plenty of leftovers I expect.  I'm also gonna bring my two burner propane stove and I've got a farm disc/wok too.  Also some cutting boards and knives.  We can chop taters on the spot.  Your extra stove will certainly help if we're gonna make some taters and coffee.  There is a charcoal grill there too.  I'm thinking maybe a wood "campfire" in the grill would be nice to warm up around.  We did that once before.  The group has grown nicely eh?  Gonna be a serious feed!

Do any of you guys have one of them monster campfire coffee pots?  I've got a 10 cup but when ya start filling mugs on a cold morning, ya don't get that many fill ups.  We'll drain one pot before everyone gets a first fill up.  It would be nice to have a larger one or a second one.  I might bring my coleman stove just for coffee pots.  Two normal size ones would fit nicely.

I'll bring ham, some home made salsa (pico de gallo) and some fresh ground coffee.  A couple frying pans, some oil, onions and seasoning for the taters

We'll also need....

Firewood

Tortillas (about 4 dozen)

Water (about two or three gallons)

Eggs (two or three dozen maybe more)

Styrofoam cups

Paper plates

A roll of paper towels

Cheese (colby jack is good)

Somethin' sweet like donuts or danish

Sugar and creamer

Plastic spoons and forks

We need to keep a runnig tally of what anyone wants to bring.  Anything left over, I'll try to make up myself.

Also, I'm really struggling with the logistics of getting guys set up for deer early and doing breakfast and a bunny hunt.  Work hasn't permitted me to do much deer hunting this year so I haven't been around all the areas I normally hunt.  I wanted to have exact stands picked for everyone who wants to hunt deer and be able to take them in early but with just me, I don't see how I can get multiple guys set up in stands that may be on different sides of the river early before we start the bunny hunt.

I'm thinking maybe we should all get there reasonably early and meet at the archery range for breakfast.  Lets say 7:00am?  I've got a big aerial photo of Platte Falls and there should be map pamphlets at the parking lot and what I can do is point the deer hunters to likely spots and let them get set up on their own or they could tag along with the rest of us and when we get in a spot where we might be able to push deer, we can do simple posting of standers before we start.  Like we did last year when we pushed out the place between the river and the levee and had standers at the pinch point.  Then, as the day goes on, the serious deer hunters can move in to areas that could be good for an afternoon to evening sit.  

Anyone who wants to set up before daylight, I'll do my best to get you information ahead of time on good places to go.  We might even be able to get on the phone and computer together at the same time and pull up mapquest and then I can direct you to pretty specific areas to set up.  Just be warned, some of the places I have in mind are a pretty good hike from the parking lots but that's part of what makes them good eh?

I figure we're all pretty seasoned hunters and if I get you close, you can pick a tree eh?  Many of you will likely pick a better spot than I would anyhow... There ain't but one mounted head on my wall and it's a gun kill.
   :rolleyes:

So, anyone who wants to be in a stand before daylight, call me ahead of time and we'll make plans.  My cell is 816-582-4003.  This weekend in the evening will be a good time.  Might give some of you time to run up early and scout out the areas I have in mind.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
I think I have the tortillas and paper towels already at the house. I'll bring those and maybe a bag of jerky to snack on.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
Guys I hate to do this but I'm not going to be able to make it. I'll be at the firestation on the 27th. I've been kicking around ideas on how I can get off but I have to use the vacation for the holidays. I feel like a horses butt. I was really stoked about getting together with you guys but I don't think I'm going to be able to pull it. If anything changes I'll let you know. Sorry guys. Tripper

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Would it help if we started a giant fire? (Only kidding Home Land Security)

No problem Tripper, we knew this going in. There will be other times to get together. Could you at least bottle up some of your luck and send it to us?

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Dang, that's too bad.  I understand all about rotating work schedules, unplanned overtime, lack of vaction etc.

Any more thoughts on you doing this on the Kansas side one of these days?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Tom, I will pull up platte falls on google maps and wish some luck upon you guys. We don't need any help starting fire's around here. Between the turkey fryers and the space heaters, were really busy.

Dave, I'm thinking about early to mid-January. I will try to look at the calendar and figure out some days. If you don't mind, I will just post it here on this thread. Thanks and sorry guys. Tripper

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
ttt
Dave

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
ttt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
Picked up some supplies tonight.

I got our Christmas ham and I'll have leftovers for sure.  Also got some onion, cilantro, mexican cheese, bacon, paper plates and styrofoam cups.

Still need more stuff but I guess I'll pick it up after Christmas.
Dave

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
Dave I'll bring some shredded cheeze.  Love those breakfast burittos.  I prefer the bunny hunting to try and stay warm.  Can't handle the treestand sitting anymore.  I'll give Irish a call tomorrow.  He's pretty busy at work right now but that's the way he likes it.  See you on the 27th

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks John,

Every little bit helps.  I sure hope it's gonna be warmer than it was today!!!
Dave

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Bulla:

I sure hope it's gonna be warmer than it was today!!!
Me Too!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
I haven't heard the weather for days.... Any chance of fresh snow between now and then?
Dave

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
Dave, I went and pre-scouted the pinch point areas you indicated earlier.  There are several stands already in those spots, probably there the whole season??? Won't stop me from slipping up a tree nearby, if they are not being used.

Anyway, guess I don't want to miss breakfast and meeting everyone, so will plan to meet at the range, then go get on a stand before you start driving. Or, I can drive if more are needed.

I also have a big propane cooker (two burner - 750k btu each) IT will flat haul-the-mail, if you need me to bring it. What else do you need be to bring?  Eggs? Deer sausage? What?

Dave

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Bulla:
I haven't heard the weather for days.... Any chance of fresh snow between now and then?
Yes… kind of.

Tuesday 30% ice pellets
Wednesday 20% snow
Thursday 20% rain
Friday 30% snow

Saturday: Partly sunny, west wind 13 MPH, high 34

This Kansas City weather forecast  brought to you by Kansas City Traditional Network.

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
By the way, BMoeller and I tried to go to Elam a few days ago. Got to within a few miles before we had to turn back south.  We hit the 1/4" of ice on Z & D Hiways (untreated)-after already passing the snow plow that was in the ditch and calling for rescue.  We wound up hunting further south around Smithville Lake.

I hope the weather improves too!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©