3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: does speed matter  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Grizz 53

• Trad Bowhunter
does speed matter
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Hey Guys, I'm a little confused about speed. Every trad shooter I talk to says their not worried about speed, but when someone gets a new bow the first thing I hear is {how quick is it}. Whats the difference between quick and fast? I shoot 48# @ 29inches. I shoot a carbon arrow thats 401 grains. My brother-in-law shoot 53lbs with a heavy arrow. When we pull our arrows out of a 3-D target mine is always the hardest to pull out because it's deeper in the target. Is't penatration what it's all about anyway. Would like some input on this subject.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: does speed matter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
Tarditional guys/gals are still guys who love  speed (girls see how I removed you from this crazy passion typically found in males), the more speed the better even for rubber bands, they want the fastest hoping it will help them with judging distance hoping that speed along with their broadhead will impact the anilmal so fast that it will give them that pass thru they desire.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Even primitive self bow guys chase speed.

Offline Grizz 53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
I always liked passthrough shots, especially from a tree stand. Seems like I always got a better blood trail.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
Speed is a good indication of the efficiency of the bow your shooting, but your right in that penetration is the name of the game, and there are many more factors to consider.   And like most trad guys I guess, I look at speed after I first judge the shootability of the bow.  

At most hunting distances, really 20 yards and less, there is'nt more than an eyeblink of difference between the fastest and slowest of bows...not a trajectory factor really either.  There are a lot more things you can consider to max your penetration out, besides speed.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Everybody likes speed, within reason.  I sure do, but noise level of a bow is even more important, IMO...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Take two bows of the same draw weight, say 45@28.  Let's say one bow shoots a 450 grain arrow at 150 fps, and the other 180 fps. The 180fps bow transfers more energy into the arrow, and that arrow will have a flatter trajectory.  The faster bow is a more efficient tool.

But that is one factor.

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I, on the other hand, am not so fast...

Offline Grizz 53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Thats what I love about this longbow I'm shooting. At 177 ft per second it's whisper quiet

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
It is pretty easy to slow down a fast bow if it has too much speed for you.It is a lot harder to get more speed out of a slow bow if you feel you need more.I will go with the one that is easiest to work with.  :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Speed is good but quiet it better.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
It is pretty easy to slow down a fast bow if it has too much speed for you.It is a lot harder to get more speed out of a slow bow if you feel you need more.
I like that line of thought   :thumbsup:
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Speed is good for race cars.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline PigStikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Guys,
read "The Unbearable Lightness of Arrows" in the recent edition of TBM and you will become enlightened.  Ashby has got it figured out, and this article summarizes his findings which are posted here.  The article also references his research threads here.

Matt
Form and Focus

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
If speed didn't matter, we would all just run at the animals/targets with the arrow in our hand...some obviously faster than others, so in that case, we'd likely still be talking about it.

Speed matters...anybody who says otherwise is missing a pretty critical piece of the equation.

How much?  Well...why open pandoras box when I know what is inside.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
If we didn't want speed, we would be using atl-atl's instead of bows.

My personal crietria run like this:

1. Feel

2.  Noise

3. Speed

4.  Looks

I'm sure we all put them in different order.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
That Jeff depends

1. Does it look good in my hands
2. Will the other hunters be envious
3. Does it hit what I’m aiming at

speed has nothing to do with it

:smileystooges:    :bigsmyl:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Speed matters.

shootability matters.

How quiet a bow is matters.

The key is finding a bow that looks good and has a good balance of the three.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
First, I don't chrono so all this is objective. That said, speed is plain old fun to see if nothing else.  I first want smoothness of draw, tuneability & stability in hand, but given that, the bow that appears to "zing" an arrow is just plain fun to shoot. I shoot rifles too, and always wanted a .220 Swift for one reason only: speed. A golf ball ripped off the tee and appearing to rocket away? Wish I could do it. Heck, I love fast cars, too.

But it's a balance. I've left faster bows on the bench and hunted with slower bows that were smoother, steadier, or just plain felt better to me. I like it but don't chase it.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
O.K., O.K., O.K. Now...If it looks good and feels good and makes all the right sounds...Don't care who you are...Any red blooded male is gonna #*%# fast!!!

That's Speed For Ya!!!

... mike ... :p
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©