3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Samurai Broadheads / Alaska Bowhunting Store  (Read 979 times)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Samurai Broadheads / Alaska Bowhunting Store
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »
Did ya look at the Massai heads? Wicked looking head. I may have to order 3 just to try them out.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Yer there nice looking heads, My next hunting trip ill be using ether the ashby or the samuri, only problem is, there is nothing to stop you loosing your arrow in the long grass when you pass through  :(  :(  :(  

James

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
i recon those ashby's would be a good head for Giraffe hey James? but ill prob end up using modified 190 grizzly's
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
:)  i still got mixed feeling about hunting Giraffe, You thinking of doing it with trad, or compound??? Never the less i would go with the ashby head and grizzly stick.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
If i would spend that much on a head i would defiantly    have  lighted nocks an reflective raps on my shafts so i could find them no matter what.  :pray:
Bull

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Buy a six pack of Tusker Concorde bbroadheads, ask for them to be left unground and single bevel them yourself. Mount the 190 grain glue on onto a 125 grain steel adapter and you'll have a less expensive Dr.Ed head. that is every bit as good. I'm not saying the Samurai and other heads from ABS aren't worth it, just that you can get the job done cheaper.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by C2:
Buy a six pack of Tusker Concorde bbroadheads, ask for them to be left unground and single bevel them yourself. Mount the 190 grain glue on onto a 125 grain steel adapter and you'll have a less expensive Dr.Ed head. that is every bit as good. I'm not saying the Samurai and other heads from ABS aren't worth it, just that you can get the job done cheaper.
This is exactly why I purchased them.  

I don't do well with grinding and a glue point is one more step that I can mess up.  

I was willing to spend money on a heavy, two blade, single edge, good MA, tanto tip, stainless steal, replaceable blade, and screw in ferule head.  It is the only one on the market that meets all of these requirements.

I know that Tuskers are great heads too.   But I know that when it comes to myself I need to keep it simple or I get into trouble.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Ah Yes there is that Bill. I know a jig for a single bevel grinding isn't too hard to get made by a tool maker. Still I get your point.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
One head, almost the price of a carton of cigarettes  :smileystooges:  

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
I posted about them several weeks ago and got multiple nasty responses. The general tone is much better on this post. Here it is in a nut shell from my point of view.

1) Pricey you bet but if you had one in your hand you'd quickly see why. None of you think much of dropping 75-100 bucks on a hunting knife. well these are three hunting knives that are probably made better than the one on your hip.

2) Would it make sense to spend millions on a missile guidance system to deliver a $25 dollar bomb. How many of you spent $1000 dollars or more on your bow, and you are willing to risk having a total failure over a $10 dollar broad head! $30 seems a small price to match the quality of delivery system with the machine that actually dose the work of killing.

3) If I have something more than a piece of tin available to me when I'm facing down 1500lb game I for one want it. But it's up to you, stick a Griz with your tin can point if you want but I'll take the best available.

4) Food for my .338win mag is up to $55-75 a box. While I'll never recover a single of those bullets I guarantee I'll get more than 20 shots out of the $80-$90 spent on samurai's or silver flames.

5) Since when is the measure of a hunter how much he dose or doesn't spend on gear.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
Sorry that was a little over the top. been locked up with my 2 year old and my wife fro a week, we all have colds.     Again sorry.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Are they all screw in, or can we get glue on ?

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
They look nice, but aside from being incredibly expensive, 1) I have been less than impressed with the blood trails of two blade (Grizzly) broadheads, 2) 1500 pound whitetails are rare--even in Iowa, 3) I get great blood trails and huge exit wounds with Wenzel Woodsman broadheads, 4) I can buy six WW's for the price of one Ashby.

The bottom line is, for what I hunt, I can't justify buying these even though I am sure they are great broadheads. I guess if I could afford to hunt something big enough to demand these broadheads, I could probably also afford the broadheads. Unless I win the lottery, I will continue to hunt whitetails and small game within 100 miles of home. WW's do a great job at that, so I see no reason to change. Your mileage may vary.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Well thats the whole point , these Bh's are not for the average Joe that just shoots a few deer in his local forest. Its like a mother that drives a huge 4x4 to take the kids to school in suberbia, not only is it a wast of fule and money its totally unneserserry.

These Bhs are made for the man or woman that excell in the sport of archery and want to push it to the max by getting the most out of there equipment so they can hunt Oz Buff, Cape Buff and Giraffe, Rhino, for example.
Thats why there so expencive beacuse there designed for a very small market, to do what the average Bh is not made for.

And no one is staying you should use them on Deer, There designed for smashing big bones on Big animals,

Exactly Like RickP said, when you spent $1200 on your bow and $14,000 of a Cape buff Hunt, to spend $90 on your Bh's so you can now that if things go bad, at least you now you had the best equipment you could have uses and not just cheeped out on a pack of woodmans. When you smack that sholder.
At least i now i would sleep better nowing at that least i had the best i could get and not cheeped out at the last minet.

James

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
Bill Tell,

It's probably this tool:

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Broadhead_Pro_Single-Bevel__P141C17.cfm

I have one too and it really brings them back quickly.

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by todd smith:
Bill Tell,

It's probably this tool:

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Broadhead_Pro_Single-Bevel__P141C17.cfm  

I have one too and it really brings them back quickly.

todd
Ah thanks.  That would be nice in the field.  I am also thinking about the KME sharpener.  I have asked for a gift certificate to 3 Rivers for Christmas.    :)
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
$30 each! Not even if I was on drugs....
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I look at these and the other high end heads like the Silverflames a bit differently than a lot of the above.

I think they ARE intended for deer sized animals too. The broadhead is the single most critical piece of equipment we use, so why would we base our choice of broadheads on price over quality?

Not suggesting that other less expensive heads are junk, certainly not, but for me it's a case of "plan for the best but prepare for the worst".

Shots don't always hit where we intend them to and some people are just not confident in their ability to sharpen the less expensive heads adequately. These high end heads come out of the pack blazing sharp and they're neary indestructable. That's a winning combination for hunting game animals of any size.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
I wonder how Denny Sturgis killed that big old buffalo?? Oh yeah, it was with a "cheeped out" Zwickey. I will never criticize someone for how much they want to spend of there own money, but I guess I am just to "cheep" to spend $30 on one broadhead.

I am sure these are excellent broadheads, but so are MANY other heads that cost MUCH less.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
In an effort to rationalize the two extremes mentioned here, I think we can look at both ends of the spectrum in regard to the hunters that expressed their opinions.  I'm thinking we have two basic types of hunters here, with a few falling in between.

1.  We have the hunter that wishes and is able to travel and hunt for those once in a lifetime trophies.  He/she spends thousands just for tags, not to mention travel exspenses.  In my opinion, that hunter would be nuts not to take advantage of the very best equipment available.  The cost of a $40 arrow is negligable.

2.  We have hunters that just hunt.  They aren't neccessarily trophy hunters.  Their trophy is putting meat in the freezer.  Whether it be a rabbit, squirrel, young doe or grizzled buck.  It's all meat and they are all trophies.  These guys like to stalk a lot of game and loose a lot of arrows.  $40 arrows are just not cost effective on his type of hunting.

3.  Then we have the guys/gals that fall in-between.  Even though they don't get to travel for elite trophies, they hunt to loose that single arrow at the biggest buck or boar, whatever, in their woods.  And they want the best equipment their pocket will allow.

All these guys are due respect.  They do it their way, in tradition and honorably.
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©