3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: make your own camo?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
make your own camo?
« on: January 02, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
anyone play around making thier own camo.

i've been collecting old shirts and pants at garage sales. greys,browns, drap colors. first trying to paint patterns on them much in the style of predator camo.
also collected large pieces of materail to make my own clothing  from.

made a ghillie top from an old brownish sweater that i cut flaps in an tied strips of cloth to.

am i crazy or do any of you think like me?

cheap chuck!

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: make your own camo?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
i started once to make a ghillie out of an old german flectar jacket by sewing different colored burlap and old camo cut into strips all over it. this is a lot of work, someday i will finnish it!
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Mike Orton

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Charlie,

If you're so inclined to make your own camo go the Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store adn find yourself a long trenchcoat that is just a bit oversized.  Tear, (not cut) those camo clothes into strips about 8 inches long.  Sew the strips to the trench coat in the center of the strip, so each end hangs down from the center.  If you're a right handed shooter take care to keep the strips short on the left arm and right breast.  A trip to the local craft store to buy some silk flowers or large leaves to break up the outline of the human torso and you're set.  You should be able to make a fine Ghillie suite for under $30.00   I also sew in a fanny cushion and a Hydration bladder.  You can also sew in an old hat or hood and you're pretty much there.  :archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Well started to think like you months ago. Trashed my wifes sewing machine sewing leather. So I went and bought her a new one. But I took it over and made me a fleece snow outfit for predator hunting. A wool pullover, converted a wool blanket into a poncho. And made a longhunter shirt for a brother.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I did that before all this camo stuff was on the market... It can be fun to make your own gear...Takes alot of time though...Hey...Guess we are BOTH NUTS!!!... :wavey: ...

>>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline laserman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
I just took a burlap sack, cut a hole for head and arms, then ripped it from the bottom up.Sprayed it with splotches of brown, green, tan and gray. Then took a boonie hat with the shotgun shell holders around the crown, cut strips of burlap and weaved them up through the hole, over the top, and down through the other side, Sprayed it and it worked great. Need to let it set out till the spray fumes go away.
IF you hunt with your kids, you won't have to hunt your kids.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
the best camo I've had was taking drape green jeans and twist the leg up like the old timers used to make tie dye   ;)    :p  and put them in the sun for a month or two. The sun bleaches the color out really makes awesome contrast, add some spray paint if you want but not really needed. Some friends made their own "predator" camo the same way, twisted the legs sprayed the legs with brown and black paint on khaki pants.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:26:00 AM »
I have a favorite jacket that I added some strips of camo too. I got the camo from some worn out camo pants. I sewed the strips on basically the outline of the jacket- on top the sleeves and the shoulders.
 I also cut off the entire pocket from the old camo pants; including a button down flap; and sewed it inside the jacket - a safe place for my gps and compass.
 Adding some gillie appearance- to make your outline unclear to the animals really makes a difference. I have had a lot of deer stare at me; and then continue to feed.
 I have found camo mesh- like for a bug suit; really interferes with the ability of game to focus on you. If I find some camo mesh ( not going to cut up my mosquito jacket) I am thinking about adding that in strips.
 this is where wearing camo is a plus- if you sew on strips of plaid to your regular clothes ---your kind of: on your own   :biglaugh:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Huntin4deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
I made my own ghillie suit from an old military MOP suit.  Supposedly the chemical suits used in the Gulf War.  Carbon lined and woodland camo.  I sewed an old volleyball net to the jacket and legs.  Then I died a bunch of jute twine to different greens, blacks and tans.  Then added some different colors of burlap to it.  It looks really cool and my hunting buddies have nearly walked past me in the woods before spotting me!

Took it on an elk trip a few years back and I had a squirrel jump on me.  I've had some birds land on me, leaving me with a few lovely presents too!  The best success story I have is when I was deer hunting, setting on the ground, (during muzzleloader season)I shot a nice buck and while trying to reload a doe and her yearling ran right at me and stopped right in front of me, inched away from the barrel of my gun.  I could feel her breath on my hands!  I couldn't move!  They finally moved on.

I've also used it to scare the crap out of trespassers!  I think they thought they were seeing bigfoot or something!

I like the idea of adding the mesh, I think and natural color would work.
..His bow remains steady, and his arms are made strong by the power of the Mighty God...
Genesis 49:24

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
I'd never be able to use a Ghillie suit....looks way too much like Cousin It.   I just bought a nice L.L. Bean all wool, Made in USA sweater for $3.99 at the Goodwill Store.  Great late season camoflauge,  especially in the limestone boulders and oak trees of Buffalo Mountain.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©