3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Files for sharpening?  (Read 252 times)

Offline mdwattsjr

• Trad Bowhunter
Files for sharpening?
« on: December 04, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
I bought a Nichalson file to sharpen my new Grizzley broadheads, and after one broadhead, the file is shot. You guys that sharpen your own, what type of files do you prefer?

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Files for sharpening?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
contact sharpster he'll get you pointed in the right direction.

-Charlie

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
When using files they need to be chalked and cleaned so they don't get pinned up.  Your file may just need a cleaning to get the metal out of the file teeth allowing it to cut again.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
You have to use an auto body rasp for changing the blade angle.

I'm coming out with a Grizzly sharpening package that will include an auto body rasp and a 14 inch mill bastard file...

Keep your eye on the Sponsors Classifieds in the next day I will have it up..and it will be reasonable compared to other options.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BOWBENDERPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
I use a 10" or 12" Nicholson general purpose medium bastard mill file on my Snuffers and have noticed problems when the teeth fill with metal filings which reduces the cutting ability.  To get around this, I once read about an old machinist trick where they would rub the cutting surface (of a clean file) with a regular white chalk stick before using.  This fills the voids and evidently the powder has enough "give" to allow the teeth to cut without plugging it up. Then, every once in a while I clean the file with a good wire file brush and they last a least a year or two. Will be interested in seeing what "sharpster" says.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
Guy's:
I've file sharpened my broadheads for 50+ years and thought a Nicholson or Simmons was the only way too go, until recently when a friend from Colorado came up to hunt Whitetails with me. He turned me on to a Lure Jensen hook sharpening file, Wow!!! I have changed my mind.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
aromakr,
That would be a Simonds brand file, not Simmons. Sandvik also makes a good file. I know cause I pushed them across lots of steels working in the aerospace industry for 12 yrs. Hard to beat a Nicholson though !!!

The chalk absorbs any oils that are on the file and keeps the metal from sticking to the file teeth. It also preloads the valley at the bottom of the file teeth so the filings cannot get pinned in the bottom of the file teeth.

When using a file just make sure you clean and chalk the file before, during, and after use and it will serve you well. Worst enemy of a file is not cleaning and chalking it. Also if you are in a high humidity enviro like I am in TN, I even WD40 my file when I am finished with it. When I want to use it again I dip it in acetone or alcohol, clean with a file card, then chalk it up and put it to work. Sweaty hands will rust and ruin a file before you know it. JMHO

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
And remember to lift the file for the backstroke. Make contact only on the forward stroke. No back and forthing; it dulls the file. - lbg

Offline bearfootin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
Try not to touch with you're bare hands what ever your sharpening using a file. The oils from your skin will get on the metal, making the file slip on the metal and will also help the fileings plug the file teeth.,...Lloyd
GIT -R- DONE

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
If you use a wire hand brush to clean your file after every few strokes and lift the file on the back stroke your file should last quite a while. I use a mill bastard for roughing and a mill smooth to finish. Get the good files from an Industrial supply like M S C.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline Skinny Little Runt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
"When using files they need to be chalked and cleaned so they don't get pinned up. Your file may just need a cleaning to get the metal out of the file teeth allowing it to cut again."
As Big Ron said, add to that if the file is a little slow soak it overnite in Muratic acid(HCL)
The acid will clean the steel debris from the teeth.
"It ain't over till it's over"....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©