3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow-------Asbel Grip  (Read 286 times)

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow-------Asbel Grip
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:20:00 AM »
Howzit All,

Just had to share one small kine story with da gang. After a few failed attempts at finding a used Black Widow, I decided to bite the bullet and invest da coin in a new one.

Thanks to the "search" engine, I was able to narrow my choice of Widows down; SA5 56",53lbs@26. The grip however, was another matter. I thought that the standard grip would fit me well "BUT"---- alot of Trad Gangers were happy with the Asbel grip. What to do? I decided to go to the source and do a "try before you buy" bow. I figured that I'd try the Asbel grip first cause I could always send it back latter to get it reshaped to a standard grip.

After talking to one of their techs---- (sorry, forgot his name), he was able to rustle up one close to my dimenions. A few days latter---- as in today, a package from Black Widow arrived at the office. I was surprised to find TWO risers packed in the box. As you guessed, one in the standard grip and the other, Asbel!

First impressions of the Asbel grip was that it was waaay too large for my hand and decided to shoot the bow with the standard grip. After shooting about 3 dozen arrows, I figured that this would be the grip for me. No need to mount up the Asbel riser. "BUT" after another dozen arrows, I said, what the hell, they were nice enough to send the Asbel riser,  might as well try it. Boy was I glad I did! What a difference the grip did for my shooting!---- (Usually when people see me step to the line, they move behind me and put a hard barrier between us.)

I can't believe how well the Asbel grip improved my shooting. It just pointed naturally ----werid. Anybody else experience this?

I'd like to give a BIG MAHALO to Black Widow bows. They didn't have to, but I'm glad they sent me the two risers.

Down side of it all is that it is going to be a long ten weeks!

Aloha,

Mark

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow-------Asbel Grip
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
There is nobody that will give you better service than Black Widow! I usually see them in Nixa twice a year, and am always welcomed as a friend. Concratulations.
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Hi Mark

I have the Asbel grip on my Widow. I too tried the standard grip but I liked the extra swell of the Asbel grip. I have found that my widow responds best to a very light grip. Very light…I touch my index finger and my thumb together and let all the riser pressure build in the web between my thumb and index finger. When I release the bow will rock forward because I have such a light grip on it. I think this is referred to as a high wrist grip.

Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
I also like the Asbel grip better than the standard grip but why the 56’’ limbs?.....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
Iv seen the you can order the  Asbel grip on there website, but never been sure how is differed, any pointers or pics would be cool,
Thanks

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
I don't think I remember seeing any pic's on the website.  But I've got their catalog and they have side by side pics of regular vs asbel grip in the front couple pages.
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Howzit All,

Thanks fo' da tips Tom! I need all da help I can get!

Brahdah Boyd,---as fo' why da 56" limbs, I'm vertically challenged with a short draw;26. I am currently shoot a Great Plains SR in 56. At my draw length, I don't experience any finger pinch and the bow feels stable after the shot.  56" (fo' me) is also more maneuverable in da bush. Over hea' most if not all hunting is done spot an stalk. If you ever saw me stalking, you'd swear it was an elephant storming through a china shop. (An dats when I'm really trying to be quiet.)-----

Brahdah James and Dave, I'm not too smart on this computer thing but I will try and take some pictures over the weekend and try to post them with my son's help.

As for the feel, it's hard to explain except that it feels "more full" in the hand as compared to the standard grip. "Maybe" because of that, "I" don't torque the bow at da shot----arrow goes where I point it.(an sometime where I want it to go)

Any help guys in discribing the feel for brahdah James? Being new at dis Widow thing, I've got alot to learn.

Their fall 2008 catalog that Black Widow sent also shows a picture of the back of the handle; standard, Asbell, and low wrist. To me I cannot tell the difference jus' looking at the pictures "BUT" when you hold it/shoot it, it's a whole 'nother story. Some people will like it--- Asbell, some people will hate it. Different strokes fo' different folks I guess. If you are thinking of buying a Widow, I'd sugggest that you try the different handles before ordering your bow. I'm glad I did.

Lastly I called Black Widow this a.m. and spoke to the guy that helped me out. I'd like to give a BIG MAHALO to Bradah ROGER fo' his expertise and getting things moving!

Aloha,

Mark

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Here is a  pictures that show the difference.  Black Widow's customer service is second to none!

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
I agree whole heartly with the advantages of the Asbel grip. All of my Widows have the Asbel. I believe the additional plam swell prevents the bow from twisting or torquing in your hand when shot. It also helps to get more consistent hand placement on the bow's grip. To me the most important part of any bow is the shape and feel of the grip area, if the grip is right almost any bow will feel like a great shooter.

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Cool, interesting, i want to do a teast of the Widow bows, but they will only do it for USA, not Canada  :(  
Its a shame they dont do checking on the grip like the Silvertips, after having that cant go with out it,  :)

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
I have a PSA5 with the Asbell grip, never shot the standard grip, but I'm well pleased and they are great bows!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Brahdah James,

I feel your pain bro'. Some companies will not ship to Hawaii and we're a State! Go figure----

Thank God that Black Widow isn't one of them.

Aloha,

Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©