3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have any Michiganders spotted wild hogs?  (Read 421 times)

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Have any Michiganders spotted wild hogs?
« on: December 05, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Don't have to know where, just want to know if anyone has seen them. It's eating me up now, I have to go find them.
 I haven't read any threads this year about hunters seeing or killing one. My county is now included in the "legal to shoot one" catagory, yet I haven't heard a thing. Man....it's like trying to find Bigfoot!!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have any Michiganders spotted wild hogs?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
im gonna keep an eye on this thread. not that i live in michigan, but i wish we had hogs up here in Ma. i was told they are in parts of NH. and there is a 100 acre "hunting ranch" about an hour from my house with hogs. ( wouldnt mind takin a pair of snippers to the fence)lol
but i dont think the neihbors would like this to much!!
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
You would be much better off traveling to hunt hogs.  You don't want them where you live and deer hunt.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
I personally haven't seen one yet.  In know the DNR policy for them is shoot on sight.  According to a biologist I was talking to they are in 63 counties but the biggest populations are down south near kalamazoo.

p.s.  I feel kind of bad being excited for another big game opportunity in the state.  Even if they are suppose to be quite destructive.  Maybe I'll change my tune if they start popping up around Newaygo County.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
I have never seen one in the wild in Michigan.  Of all my "network", only one of us has seen one...he has actually killed two just west of Cadillac.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
My buddy says that he sees lots of rooting sign around Midland, but hasn't seen one yet.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Apex Predator:
You would be much better off traveling to hunt hogs.  You don't want them where you live and deer hunt.
X2! you dont want em around.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm with Apex, be careful what you wish for! Hogs although fun to hunt, are a blight on our land and native wildlife. We have trapped and killed 40 on the ranch I hunt, in the last 2 months. And we don't seem to have put a dent in them. Consider a 150 pound sow, she is eating a lot of the same things that deer eat. Effectively taking the place of one mature deer in the habitat. Also consider they are holy heck on ground nesting birdsand mammals. I worry for our turkey and rabbit populations, which I also love to hunt.

CKR
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Catch em all and bring over to my place. Dang a turkey or a rabbit. Bring on the hogs!!!!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
These pigs in Mich.,are they migrating or did the just get away from a farm some place? I have heard they breed like crazy. So far I don't think that they are in New York, but I don't know that for a fact. We have enough problems here with game managment we really don't need hogs to add to list.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
The pigs in michigan are said to have gotten out of game ranches.  Because of how rapid they can spread the Michigan DNR has said that if they are seen in the wild they are open game to anybody with a valid hunting license.  

I have not seen or seen any sign of them here in Allegan or Ottawa county.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
I agreed with them fellers up there. You don't want them. I have 500 acres here in E. Texas and they can absolutely destroy a beautiful hay meadow overnight. They also destroy my cow pastures, since most of my property is virgin hardwood timber, I need those pastures for my livestock, as I don't want to cut anymore trees down to make pasture, I love my woods. That is why I go out of my way to hunt them down and eradicate them. Yes, it is fun but it is also costly having them here. I still have natural predators on my property and that helps. The cougars and wolves that live here help me to keep the population in check. One reason I don't kill predators. My neighbors ranches are in really bad shape due to pigs, and due to the fact they take every opportunity to kill a wolf or a cougar, they now have nothing to eat the pigs. I have killed 40 or 50 this year and can't even seem to dent the population. The sad thing is they harm the natural population of deer and other animals. I found probably 10 fawns this year that had been torn to pieces by hogs. Their mothers hid them and ran away when the hogs showed up, and unfortunately the fawns were discovered and mutilated, and I know it was hogs because I saw it happen on three of the occasions. I could not get there fast enough to stop it. Biggie, you are welcome to mine, if I could send them to you I surely would. I'll be honest here in saying that I kill so many I run out of things to do with them. Everyone has them, so nobody wants the ones you kill. My freezer is full of hog and other things so I can't take in anymore. What do you do?? I have to leave them in the field, which goes against the very core of my being, the core of all I believe, to kill somthing and not make use of it. I wish there was another solution. Maybe when I am in the country long enough I will organize a tradgang hog bash. But do to my hectic schedule and being out of country with my job I simply have to do what I can when I can to preserve my property in its most natural state.
                                  -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
I have the same info as Steve O....I spend a lot of time out in the woods, and have never seen one or any sign.

Arwin, you got enough deer to keep you happy, don't wish those damned hogs on us!   ;)

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
They're fun to hunt and kill. Which is good, cause if you ever get them you'll see that's just what needs to be done.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Arwin, personally haven't seen any, but heard of  a couple sightings in Hillsdale County.
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I hunt pretty regular in Hillsdale and Calhoun counties...no pigs or sign of any pigs

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
I thought I saw one up at the Crows Nest last Friday night....  :scared:

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
They are all over where i have been hunting and you see everything they tear up but rarely see them.  They move mostly at night.  If you see one or two during the day there are probably 5 times that many around.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
east texas hill billy. Are there no sportsman for the homeless around there?

here we have some butchers some places that will clean the hog for free and give it to homeless shelters. If not I think the shelters will still accept the meat but I'd call before I cleaned one. You just might need a license to give meat to hungry people this day in age.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
"Of all my "network", only one of us has seen one...he has actually killed two just west of Cadillac."

Steve O and Roger:

That's just a rumor.  Those were two waitresses walking home from the Pines Nightclub.

:)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©