3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dakota bows by Rick Welch  (Read 776 times)

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
Dakota bows by Rick Welch
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I was just wondering how many folks had one and how do you like them?  Would preferrably like to know about the Pro Hunter model recurve, but any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dakota bows by Rick Welch
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
I've never shot one.....but I sure enjoyed the heck out of his hog hunting videos!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
oh yeah they are good videos!!!  :thumbsup:  and it looks like his bows are ok to.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
I've shot one and it's very stable...and I've watched Rick shoot one several times as he was winning yet another 3D shoot with one.  Cool deal is...he was the first guy I ever shot a 3D course with...how's that for a way to break in a scared beginner...?  The boy can shoot.    :)  

Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
the guy is simply amazing with a bow reminds me of an older gentelman that won almost every shoot out there!!!
St. Joe River Bows

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Hello AMB, I've got a Dakota by Rick Welch.  First thing I want to say is that his new bows are much better looking than his old ones that you see in the video. The one I have is all bacote, and I have another set of limbs made of bamboo.  Here is what I like about them.  First of all, I like his limb design.  They are a tad bit narrower than most recurve limbs.  Also, they only gain 2 lbs. per inch as opposed to most other bows gaining 3 pounds.  I think there is something special about his limbs.  When you shoot a bow on video, if you watch it in slow motion, you can see the limbs on just about every recurve oscillating pretty bad.  For some reason Ricks bows do not do this.  The limbs just stop dead.  There is no handshock and the bow is quiet.  I also like the finger grooves in the riser.  Helps me to get consistent hand placement.  
All in all I really enjoy the bow.  It does not quite have the craftsmanship of say a blacktail, but it more than makes up for it in shootability.

And to comment on Ricks shooting.  The guy can really shoot!  I took lessons with him, which was really helpfull.  He kept saying "It's so simple just do it like this!"  He's a great guy.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
I have several of his bows.  Rick is a good guy and a great shot.  I have a bunch of custom bows, but I have hunted with my Dakotas 7 or the past 10 years.  The bows are pretty darn fast, very smooth, and stable.  His risers are a little "Plain Jane", but still pretty and very functional.  He also stands behind his work and works hard to keep his customers happy.  If you are looking for a bow that just plain shoots you will never go wrong with Rick.

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I have a couple of his videos and there is no doubt that he is a great shot!  His bows, in the videos, seemed to be pretty quick, even the lower poundage ones.  His grips look like they would fit me well.

Are they easy to tune?

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
AMB, yes they are easy to tune due to the fact that it has a pretty good sized shelf.  The bow is quick.  I also shoot a habu, and his bow keeps up with it...but with less noise and hand shock!  Like Doc says, they are a little plain Jane, but they are shooters, and he builds them for a good price.  The pro hunter has carbon in the limbs.  Carbon is inside the core, so it really does not do much as far as speed and all that, but it makes the bow feel dead in the hand.  

As far as pretty bows go...I used to have a blacktail until I shot one of Ricks bows.  The blacktail is PRETTY but I just could not shoot it as well.  Not the bows fault...it just did not fit me as well as ricks bows.  Since getting his bow..it is a tossup for me as to whether to take my Habu or my Dakota.  You won't be dissapointed in it.

Also, as far as the grip goes, he will make it fit.  Send him a tracing of your hand.  If you are not into the the finger groove thing, he will make it without that.  Personally, I like the finger grooves.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©