3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Filson  (Read 546 times)

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Filson
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
I just ordered a Double Mac Cruiser.  It oughta be home when I get there tonight.
Otto

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
I've got a sweater, a vest and socks that I absolutely love.  I have the Mackinaw pants that I don't particularly like.  The weave is too loose for my taste and they just won't cut the wind.  I have better luck with military surplus wool pants at a fraction of the cost.

I bought a Swannie wool coat when Brunner went out of business many years ago.  That is better quality wool - much tighter weave, in my opinion.  I really, really wish I would have bought the Swannie pants back then too.

Some Filson's stuff I love and some I think is just way overpriced and not worth much at all.  I want some of their merino wool long johns right now however.

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
I have a Filson Mac Cruiser and love it but I also have a Sleeping Indian Jacket/shirt and it keeps me much warmer.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm hoping to get a 26oz vest for Christmas.  :pray:

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
Be careful, a lot of their stuff is now imported and reguardless of what they claim to me imported is junk. A lot is made in the USA and has exceptional quality..PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »
How cold of temperatures will the Mackinaw cruiser /double cruiser stand up to?

Thanks
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
These things are always subjective. What works for me might not work for you. But with that in mind, a few years ago I hunted in Wyoming in snow and very cold temperatures and wore a Filson double Mack. I was hunting spot and stalk on the ground, which involved activity, and that Cruiser was too warm for me. The regular Mackinaw Cruiser would have been just about right. However, if I were sitting in a blind or treestand in those conditions I certainly would have wanted the double Mac.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
By itself, you'll feel comfortable with it to about 20 degrees with no wind.  I wear it from October to April here in ND.  From December to February I'll have a wool sweater on underneath.  You'll feel a subzero windchill if you're standing still.

Then again, I'm 6'2" and around 200 lbs.  I don't have a lot of body fat to insulate me.  I know some people who will go through a ND winter in simple hooded sweatshirt with no problem, so it's all subjective.

Jason

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
I also feel they are the best quality, you won't be sorry with Filson. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Filson is the best, I'm a huge fan. I have 2 double Mac cruisers, a single cruiser (a great bowhunting coat), bibs, vest, tin cloth Packer coat with wool insert, chaps..........God knows how much I have forgotten.

There made in USA stuff is 100% top notch.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I have the Tin Packer hat and two wool sweaters. I really like them. Plan on gettin the Mackinaw vest. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
I cant vouch for their clothing, but i was giving a whole set of luggage for christmas few years back and that stuff is indestructible.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Great stuff, I have over 30 pieces.

I would stress what has been said already, some items they are selling are not made in the USA anymore. I have a button down shirt I bought last year that was made in Mexico (still cost as much as the one I bought the year before that was made in the USA even though it has one less chest pocket???). Maybe its just me, but the quality does not seem as good on that particular piece.

I still love the stuff, I will just make sure to buy it from a store I can look at it first instead of mail or online ordering.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lin Rhea:
I have the Tin Packer hat and two wool sweaters. I really like them. Plan on gettin the Mackinaw vest. Lin
I also have a tin Packer which I bought in 1994 prior to a trip to Yellowstone. Since then that hat has been on many hunting and camping trips. Still use it frequently, though not when I shoot my bow (brim gets in the way of the bowstring). And that hat still has many years of use in it. The Filson Mackinaw vest is next on my list as well.

Originally posted by featherbuster:
I cant vouch for their clothing, but i was giving a whole set of luggage for christmas few years back and that stuff is indestructible.
I have the Filson Field Bag, which is very similar to the luggage and made out of the same material. I've had it for many years and use it specifically when I'm hunting; Chief Side Quiver on one side and Filson Field Bag on the other. As you say, nearly indestructible.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
I forgot about my briefcase...Filson...I use it EVERY day. I love it.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Love their stuff! Excellent quality and customer service.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »
Don't have any of there clothes, but I do love my Small Field Bag.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
When you buy FILSON how do the sizes run?order your next size or do they run big????????
thanks
DEAN
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
Dean,
         I think their sizes are pretty dead on. I wear the XXL long in the stuff I buy. I have at least 8 of their jackets, some wool, some tincloth, and some both. I am a Filson junkie. That stuff is warm and wears like iron. On their coats when it says 48 or 50 chest-size, its pretty close. I even had a suit made for me and the chest sizes were the same as my ol Filson Double Mac Cruiser. Can't go wrong with Filson, and their field bags and duffles are indestructable. The only thing that is hard to size is the vest. Since I wear XXL or 50 long in all my other coats I ordered one of the mac vests in the same size...it was a tent, a very nice tent, but a tent none the less. I had to order a medium in the vest. I have big shoulders and my gut hasn't caught up, yet, so I didn't need a large there, yet.
                               -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 05:52:00 AM »
I have had  the mackinaw-overalls- vest and socks for 13 years,they get a lot of use-I wont wear them out in my lifetime.  Worth every penny.                     Carpenter
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©